Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thirsty? Don't look at this Las Cruces thread (broadband recommended)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Thirsty? Don't look at this Las Cruces thread (broadband recommended)

Las Cruces, New Mexico, where I spent four years of my life.

The following are a few of the many images in http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=524

Yes, it sprawls.

Cruces is more like a mini-Albuquerque with some Santa Fe thrown in than nearby El Paso.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The backdrop is really nice but the rest of it just depresses the hell out of me.

it reminds of the set of some cheesy early 90's movie about suburban kids fed up with their environment or some indie flick about desolation and despair.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    The backdrop is really nice but the rest of it just depresses the hell out of me.

it reminds of the set of some cheesy early 90's movie about suburban kids fed up with their environment or some indie flick about desolation and despair.

Yeah, I can see a group of "bored-out of their minds" kids hanging-out and starting small fires on that residential street.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have been there a few times, last month most recently. It is not a city that inspires me, although there is a great deal of potential in the setting (to the east). Maybe it has too much of a military presence, or maybe it is the interstate sprawl. Anyway, there are still many far worse places.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I sorta agree with Cardinale-there are far worse places. I actually thought some of the (admittedly boring) streets had a certain sleepy charm. Not a place I would want to live, but compared to midwestern factory towns of similar size (Marion, Indiana, anyone?) its not THAT bad. Or is it, Dan?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I have never been, but I know it is home New Mexico State University. Does the U give a university vibe to the city??

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jan 2008, 7:41 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Dec 2005, 5:12 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Jul 2005, 7:20 PM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last post: 11 Jul 2005, 3:55 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 14 Jan 2005, 3:39 PM