are sailing away forever.
    into seas uncharted and paths unknown
    Never again will I see Joey's confident smile,
    Chandlers witty reparte,
    or Monica's endearing guile.
    Goodbye my Friends
    Goodbye.
    Somehow I will survive this . . . blah blah blah

I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE MAKING SUCH A BIG DEAL OVER THE END OF THIS STUPID TV SHOW!!!!! GET ON WITH IT AND THROW THE CHARACTERS OVER A CLIFF ALREADY!!! THEY'RE NOT REALLY YOUR FRIENDS!!!

Sorry, I had to rant to somebody and you're all a captive audience.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've never seen the show so I don't care, either.

Our newspaper had an article in its food section yesterday about recipes for the final episode parties people are allegedly having.

Friends is one of the most overrated sitcoms ever. The first few seasons it was laugh-out-loud funny. Then it quickly got dull. The last few seasons have been more soap opera than sitcom. I wonder if Marcel the monkey will come back for the final episode I'll take Scrubs over Friends anyday. The Andy Richter show was much better than Friends too. To bad only 12 people tuned in to watch it.

I have a softball game so I will not be watching.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'll be watching....my SO is a bit of a fanatic for the show.....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I dislike most sitcoms.

There. I've said it.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Who cares about that TV show, I sure didn't.
    Even worse is reruns
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Some of the women on another message board i'm on are seriously distraught at this finale - they've made comments along the lines "I grew up with Friends - I feel like I know them and they're a part of my family."

This just strikes me as soooo sad, that people are so lonely that they emotionally invest in a television show !!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    My sister does not like GW Bush, so I told her that he was going to be on TV from 8:30 to 9:30 tonight to give an update on the progress of the war... I thought that she was going to start throughing things. Then I told her it was a joke... I am now worried that she will hurt me.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 1998
    The lack of ethnicity among the characters was enough incentive for me to never watch it.

But, I don't watch network television anyway.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The show should have been renamed "****buddies" a long time ago.

Friends jumped the shark the moment Ross admitted is love for Rachel ... don't know how many years ago that was, but the whole premise of the show changed dramatically in that one epiosde. Haven't cared about it since.

Planderella beat me to the comment about diversity. I don't expect a token Latifa or Chen among the friends, but you think they would have encountered at least one non-white person during ten-plus years of living in New York? There was more interaction between the races in apartheid-era Johannesburg than in the New York of Friends.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    Some of the women on another message board i'm on are seriously distraught at this finale - they've made comments along the lines "I grew up with Friends - I feel like I know them and they're a part of my family."

This just strikes me as soooo sad, that people are so lonely that they emotionally invest in a television show !!!
    Amen.

Slightly Off Topic:

I would add to this something that equally annoys me-people who shout things like "We won the Superbowl. (Now lets go out and trash the City!)"

YOU didn't win the Superbowl, the Millionaire Celebrity-Athletes did. I don't understand spectator sports fanaticism.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I actually liked Friends for the first few seasons. My brother really loved it, so I ended up watching it with him. I usually think that most of the Joey/Phoebe jokes are fairly funny... but it's almost painful to watch David Schwimmer, Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox. I won't be missing the show... especially if the episode I saw last night was any indication of the quality of the writing in recent years. Bleh.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I only watched friends a few times. Such an unreal show, and yes, the show was such unethnically diverse. Aisha (sp?) Tyler came in the last season or two, I think, but what did that accomplish?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    A 2 hour season finale? I don't think so.
    The older re-runs are pretty good and I'll watch them occassionally. But I really haven't kept up with the show over the years. Every other week one of them have partnered off with another one.
    I think I'll watch the Chappelle's Show that I taped from the other night....he is a riot!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    [Cyburbian sarcism on] I don't even own a TV. [Cyburbian sarcism off]
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Nov 2001

I agree with Repo...

Whoever thought I'd mumble those words...

Friends "jumped the shark" long ago. I fail to see the facination with it. Scrubs is brilliant.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    My sister does not like GW Bush, so I told her that he was going to be on TV from 8:30 to 9:30 tonight to give an update on the progress of the war... I thought that she was going to start throughing things. Then I told her it was a joke... I am now worried that she will hurt me.
    Terrorist could wage another attack an the USA and NBC probably won't break out of Friends...or the 10 minutes of advertising that goes along with your 20 minutes of crappy tv.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Seinfeld and Friends. Two shows i've never understood and i think the world is a better place without either of them.

There's a cult movie called "Whiteboyz" in which the main character often fantasizes that he's a rap star. In one scene he is fantasizing that he's being interviewed by Jay Leno and laments his Iowa roots:

"I ain't like these people Jay, all they do is go to the mall and walk back and forth from Foot Locker to Chi-Chi's, Chi-Chi's to Foot Locker. Then they go home and watch damn . . . Friends. What the hell i wanna be white for Jay? That s*** is stupid."
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    David Schwimmer should not act ever again. Everytime I see the "Ross" character, I want to slit his throat. :-0
    Last edited by mendelman; 06 May 2004 at 5:43 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I was a "big fan" of "friends"...while stuck in a hotel room for 8 weeks with about 3 channels and on about 8 different drugs to keep breathing, in spite of the smog. But I also watched "Just Shoot Me" during that time. They came on back to back from 11pm to midnight and that was what I did to wind down before lights out. "Just Shoot Me" is a much better show. My kids never took to "Friends". They did like "Just shoot me".

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Planner Groupie just won tix to see Van Helsing by answering a radio contest of Friends trivia. :-P

Needed to get 3 out of 5 right.....got three straight. Guess her never missing an episode paid off. lol
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Planner Groupie just won tix to see Van Helsing by answering a radio contest of Friends trivia. :-P

Needed to get 3 out of 5 right.....got three straight. Guess her never missing an episode paid off. lol
    It's good to know that something good has come out of her watching so much t.v.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Now sounds like good time for Planner Groupie to have a snit fit about our biased views and then blame it on hormones.

I plead "short of sleep".

Quote Originally posted by jresta
    Seinfeld and Friends. Two shows i've never understood and i think the world is a better place without either of them.
    Ripping Seinfeld!!!??!??!! Blasphemy! If I was a mod I would ban you for those comments

As for nerudite's comment about it baing painful to watch Cox, Schwimmer and Aniston. It is NEVER painful to watch Jennifer Aniston if you are a straight male!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jresta

There's a cult movie called "Whiteboyz" in which the main character often fantasizes that he's a rap star. In one scene he is fantasizing that he's being interviewed by Jay Leno and laments his Iowa roots:

"I ain't like these people Jay, all they do is go to the mall and walk back and forth from Foot Locker to Chi-Chi's, Chi-Chi's to Foot Locker. Then they go home and watch damn . . . Friends. What the hell i wanna be white for Jay? That s*** is stupid."
    A great movie. I watch it every time it's on IFC.

As for the loss of Friends....you mean that show is still on.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Friends
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 05 Jun 2010, 7:28 PM
  2. Hello Friends.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 May 2010, 8:43 PM
  3. Friends