Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Lyin' sons of ...

Lyin' sons of ...

How do you'all deal with people who just out and out lie to you as you're attempting to help them?

One recent fellow, who called himself a bishop, had built half of a house, then decided he wanted to go to multi-family. I asked him about the "STOP WORK" he had posted. He told he the Building Dept. didn't like his truss designs, but he'd have it cleared up in a day or two. Ah, no, the Building people had him for fraudulently obtaining permits (in this case, building a whole new structure on a interior work and repair permit).

Did he think I wasn't going to check? I just can't figure out what goes through people's heads...

Registered
    Aug 2001

Yeah yeah!

...and then they have the gall to tell you "But I talked to that guy that works with you and he said it was OK..." But they can't remember the name of "that guy" , what he looks like, or when it was... a-holes....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Oh I had some serioius liers at my last job. In the end I caught them in the lie and they slinked out of my cube like the slugs they were or I flat out called them on it *my boss would snicker for 30 min afterward*

The worst is being called a "racist" becouse i wont give so and so their approval. *shakes her head*

thankless job. ive yet to understand WHY i do this for a living

danie
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001

Why, you ask?

PlannerGirl wrote:
    thankless job. ive yet to understand WHY i do this for a living
    Perhaps you can't stand the thought of ever being rich?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2001

Lyin' sons of ... buiscut eaters.

lowlyplanner wrote:
    How do you'all deal with people who just out and out lie to you as you're attempting to help them?
    Depends on the lie. I kind of enjoy it when I know off the bat they aren't telling the truth, and get to stop them juuuuust as they are finishing up...

Me (reaching for the phone): Hold on just a sec, Mr. Smith.

Building Inspector (on the speaker phone): Hello?

Me: Hey Denny? Did you tell Mr. Smith he could change his building plans and put his porch out in the right-of-way... then come back and tell him to move it the next day?

Building Inspector (laughing): Hell no! That nitwit doesn't know where his property begins and ends. I told him to get a damn survey before he started, but he didn't listen.

Me (chuckling): I didn't figure you did... bye now. *click*

Me (turning back to Mr. Smith with a stone face): As you were saying, Mr. Smith?

I live for those moments.

I got another couple the other day - they wanted to rezone an old house so they could open their business - the Christian yellow pages (I sense some sort of weird trend). The rezoning would have worked out, but they didn't want to wait for it.

I made the mistake our mentioning our home based business ordinance, and all of a sudden the particulars of their business changed. Would it take up less than 250 square feet? Sure, I mean, no. Have outside traffic coming in? No, of course not.

Rather than call them on their lyin' ways, I just sent them back to the zoning counter to fill out the paperwork... I figure I'll see them again when someone complains and they get busted.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ok im gonna get flamed for this but anyone ever noticed CHURCHES seem to be the worst to deal with?

Lies, offer bribes, screaming the race card, "your standing in the way of the work of G*d" etc

I got where I HATED to see a plan with a church on it.

Anyone else had this problem?

Danielle *the obvioius "devil worshiper"*
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001

Not flamed by me! I'm a heathen...

PlannerGirl wrote:
    Ok im gonna get flamed for this but anyone ever noticed CHURCHES seem to be the worst to deal with?
    Simply stated, they are used to getting their way. I put them right up there with DOT's and railroads. WHo, incidentally, believe they *are* gods.

PlannerGirl wrote:
    Lies, offer bribes, screaming the race card, "your standing in the way of the work of G*d" etc
    Yeah, the last one is the one I heard most often. So often I wanted to say, "I'm a planner... I AM god!"

PlannerGirl wrote:
    I got where I HATED to see a plan with a church on it.

Anyone else had this problem?
    I hate to see them for other reasons, too. Organized religion, in most cases, is big business... yet, pay no tax.

Oh yeah, come in, buy up one of the nicest commercial lots in town, then make oodles of cash while not helping the city coffers with a plug nickle.

PlannerGirl wrote:
    Danielle *the obvioius "devil worshiper"*
    Well, I know *I* like you better that way...

It seems like churchs are itching to get denied so they get publicity and so they can sue the city (probably to get $$ to finance the church).

They don't seem to understand the concet of land use/traffic problems/concerned neighbors and they never seem to understand why the City doesn't want to re-zone tax generating land to accomidate them.

A proposed Greek Orthodox church in a city in SE Wisconsin is suing the City because the City refuses to re-zone residential land to institutional. The City has already allows Churches as a conditional use in any residential district, they (the City) just don't want to re-zone the land because that would open the door for uses like a hospital, should the church decide to sell the land.

Then the Church goes to the press and says that there is an anti-Greek bias in this City.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    jtfortin wrote:
    Then the Church goes to the press and says that there is an anti-Greek bias in this City.
    How can that be? We love the Greeks. They have the best restaurants in town (Oakland Gyros rocks and they are building a new one by my house!) and most are open past bar time.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I want a sign i can hold up to them and say

"You! Off MY planet!"

cackles with demonic laughter

sorry guys i gotta do something to perk the day up

D for devill

Registered
    Dec 2001

When other cities try to get you to say "yes"

I had a planner from another city try to get me to say we were going to approve plans that hadn't been submitted yet so that he could look like the good guy. He was like, "so would you approve that?" and I said "not until I see the plans!" and he acted shocked, like for some reason our city didn't need to see the plans before telling them to go forward with the curb cut.. which ended up being 3 feet from an intersection.. and will never be approved!!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Myself, I have encountered too many zoning problems with churches. The problem more often seems to be one of design. Architects in general tend to have egos far greater than their talent. They view churches as a way to make a 'statement.' Of course, the design does not relate at all to its surroundings, or other parts of the building if it is a renovation or addition. At the other extreme, the church wants to cut costs by putting up a metal building. Again, not in character with the surrounding uses.

Many of the problems probably result from the fact that a bunch of god-lovin' yahoos have formed a committee to build their beloved church, bible school or community center and: 1) have nobody on the committee who understands any part of development; 2) are so in love with their ideas that they won't listen to anyone who could help them; and 3) can't see the valid concerns of the neighbors as anything more than persecution against them.

To be fair, though, I've worked with churches that the above didn't apply. They listened to suggestions on the design. They worked with the city to choose the best location. Dammit, they may have even said a prayer for me.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re:

Michael Stumpf wrote:
    Dammit, they may have even said a prayer for me.
    Why do you think that? Was one of the parishioners struck by lightning?!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In a small town near me there is a funeral home that fought to get permission to tear down two old homes for parking. Lots of neighbors opposed it but the request to demolish was granted and the parking lot was soon to be a reality...until the funeral home came back to the planning commission and asked permission to build a garage in place of the parking spots. They said that they needed a garage so the public wouldnt see them rolling cadavers out of the hearse.

That made big news here as the neighbors are really pissed off thinking they had been lied to.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    blargh. i'm dealing right now with a gym that backs up to an older subdivision, there was a 6' stockade fence separating the two property, but it got moldy (untreated posts) and fell down. I was assured on Friday the fence would be repaired by the following monday, I was assured on tuesday the fence would be repaired by wednesday night. In the span of Friday until yesterday, i received 3 phone calls from a town councilman, and 5 from the neighbors. I just want to kick the gym manager - like i'm not going to find out the fence is not up yet? please.

Registered
    Oct 2001

My solution.

KMateja wrote:
    blargh. i'm dealing right now with a gym that backs up to an older subdivision, there was a 6' stockade fence separating the two property, but it got moldy (untreated posts) and fell down. I was assured on Friday the fence would be repaired by the following monday, I was assured on tuesday the fence would be repaired by wednesday night. In the span of Friday until yesterday, i received 3 phone calls from a town councilman, and 5 from the neighbors. I just want to kick the gym manager - like i'm not going to find out the fence is not up yet? please.
    In my last job, and this one, I've had a C.E. position under mine. When one came and told me of something like this, I give them the same answer.

"Write them a citation."

If you have that capacity, and you even get a *notion* that someone is shining you on... write the ticket.

Code Breaker: It'll be up Wednesday!
    CE Officer: Didn't you tell me it would be up last Friday?
    Code Breaker: Yes, but I...
    CE Officer (with the sound of a ticket being torn off the book): Tell the Judge.
    Code Breaker: But... but...
    CE Officer: Oh, by the way, I can void that ticket... But after Wednesday? It won't happen.

Of course, I always worked the judge in town pretty hard concerning CE tickets, so they wouldn't blow them off.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I was once assured by a gentleman in my office, on whose land I placed a stop work order on, that the County Sheriff had given him permission to run an illegal horse race track. I then called the Sheriff and asked him to drop by my office. The gentleman repeatedly assured me the Sheriff had given him permission right up until the Sheriff himself walked into the room. Then I introduced them to each other. Then we were both told it was the OTHER Sheriff that had granted permission. Seems those pesky dopplesheriffs are everywhere messing with good landowners and leading them down the path of lawlessness.

I had one particularly troublesome citizen with which I made sure I recorded all of our conversations. I placed the recorder in plain sight and made sure she knew I was recording every conversation. That didnít stop the lies either. She was just more eloquent.

Part of dealing with the public is loosing your faith in humanity. If you trust people after a year or two in current planning you are insane!

And letís not even get started on the subject of
    REALTORS!

Registered
    Jul 1998

Today's story

Ok, first of all, I am fighting some sort of respiratory infection so I have felt like crap for a couple of weeks. I get complaints about this property with many junked cars on it. I send out notice to the property owner, an old lady. Mullet head son stops by and tells me that he cannot possibly get rid of the cars because he needs all of them. I say sorry, they have to go. He says but they charge $50 a car to dispose of them, and that is why he has them. I say, so, people give you these cars because they don't want to pay to get rid of them. He says why yes that is correct. I say it sounds like you are running a salvage yard then. He says, no, I am just doing my friends a favor. I say, you have 30 days to get rid of them. He reluctantly agrees.

Two weeks later, today that is. A lady stops by and begins yelling at me (see first sentence). Why isnít the place cleaned up, yatta yatta. I say he is working on it. She yells he is not, he is still moving cars in. She yells that Mrs. old lady owner should have been the one I was dealing with and not mullet headed son. I say that is between her and her son to work out because he live there too. She says that is her momís property and I must not know what I am doing. My brain working in low gear (see first sentence) about 30 seconds after she leaves I figure out that yelling lady and mullet head are brother and sister.

Police Chief walks in; I ask does mullet head have a sister? He laughs uncontrollably for a couple of minutes and says you must have met yelling lady. I ask to borrow his 9mm so I may end my misery. He refuses for some reason.

+ Reply to thread