Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: American Planning Association (good deal?)

Apr 2004

American Planning Association (good deal?)

About to become a full time grad student, I am really focused on my career and future now. I want to make as many contacts as possible and I was wondering if joining the APA is a good idea. I know there are some membershipf fees and I was wondering if it is really worth it or not.

Joining the national APA won't get you many professional contacts (except for the conference) however, joining your state chapter probably will especially if they have conferences, seminars, etc.

If you join as a grad student it is a good deal, plus you can then attend the conference at the student member rate, which is also a good deal. If you attend the conference you will network with more planners than you can stand! They also offer a job mart and on-site interviews.

Now whether the APA is worth it after you graduate and get a full-time planner job the answer you will get on this board is a resounding NO! That is unless your employer pays for it! They charge a lot of money and all you really get is Planning Magazine and a slew of junk mail begging you to buy books, attend conferences, and join all kinds of APA specialty groups. Oh, and the opportunity to pay even more money to take the AICP test, which raises your annual dues even more.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Jul 2003
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Blog entries
    What Repo Man said, I agree with.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Apr 1996
    New Hampshire
    As a student, it's definitely worth it.

Once a professional, I still think it's worth it for the Chapter experience (maybe I'm biased because I have a great chapter, though).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Aug 2001
    Jukin' City
    I agree--take advantage of the student rate and hopefully your future employer will pick up the tab later.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Aug 2001
    The Cheese State
    As an investment in networking, it is worth joining. That is especially true of the student rate, but I would argue that it is important to continue to be involved and active during your career. You will receive little of any value from the national organization. The value of your state chapter will vary, depending on whether they are organized or not. Kudos to those who have made some very good changes in the Wisconsin Chapter in recent years.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Jun 2003
    De Noc
    I agree with what they have said about joining the state chapter.

Have you looked at your state chapter's website: http://www.planning.org/chapters/links.html
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Oct 2001
    No Commnet :-E

I strongly agree with joining APA at the student rate. Try to become as active as possible in the State Chapter activities. This is a great networking opportunity.

Mar 2004
    No Where Man
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I agree--take advantage of the student rate and hopefully your future employer will pick up the tab later.
    Ditto but when you become a professional planner, get your employer to sign you up to be a member of the Urban Land Institute (ULI) and APA.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 29 Aug 2007, 11:12 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Feb 2007, 12:20 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 17 Feb 2005, 2:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Apr 2002, 9:21 AM
  5. Replies: 0