• Dark aged natural hardwood

6 27.27%
  • Pine Chunks

0 0%
  • Red

0 0%
  • Real Cedar

3 13.64%
  • Gravel (for you jersey shore people...)

2 9.09%
  • Let the weeds grow!

1 4.55%
  • Homemade from the chipper

5 22.73%
  • other, see below

2 9.09%
  • Not a homeowner

3 13.64%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: What color mulch?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

What color mulch?

Inspired by my neighbor who just covered 1/2 his front yard with red mulch.

What is it with mulch? Mulch is intended to keep weeds down and moisture in the soil. It should enhance plants,,, not compete. So why would anyone use red mulch... the opposite side of the color spectrum from green? Also... I really wonder about the dyes used on all this mulch.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Gravel B-) (for you jersey shore people...)
    Have been a Jersey Shore person since 1971
    Many yards are covered with pebbles which are much smoother than gravel.
    Gravel to me is road base / utility trench material.
    Last edited by JNA; 21 May 2004 at 8:42 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Gravel (for you Jersey shore people)

As my fellow ex-pat JNA noted, it really is more of a pebble at the shore than a true gravel. I remember as a kid, the borough I lived in would spray hot liquid asphalt and then spread tons and tons of gravel on our residential side streets. There'd be this dust for a day or two, and then as cars traveled the streets, the loose gravel on top would be wedged over to the curb the way snow is in the winter. I remember the sound cars would make as they traveled asphalt streets with little pieces of gravel embedded in the treads of their tires. And the peculiar smell after a rainstorm, a sweet musky smell not altoegether unpleasant.

Of course, for a kid on a bike it was an absolute nightmare I still have bits of gravel in my hands and knees from various falls

I like the red mulch if it is used in very small quantities as a highlight of a specific plant or bed. Too much and it starts to look like the end zone at Arrowhead Stadium.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Just get out a can of red spray paint and get crazy on the dirt.

I like the idea of chipping your own!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Once upon a time I used red mulch. I have a very wooded back and side yard. Everything is green and I put some red mulch around my Hostas and it added some color. I was alright, but now I use hardwood mulch and add color with flowers.

I voted hardwood mulch, I'd chip my own if A) I had a chipper, B) had wood to chip.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I voted gravel. Here's why. Wood mulch decomposes and can attract termites and carpenter ants. No guarantee it will but why tempt fate.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The city's maintenance crews use the red mulch around buildings and in parks. I think it looks awful. It gives everything a "fake" look.

At home I use cedar mulch in gardens under the pines, and cocoa bean shells in the gardens nearer to the house. Several of the gardens get no mulch, though. I use grass clippings (from less weedy parts of the lawn) to mulch under the vines in the vegetable garden.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    The city's maintenance crews use the red mulch around buildings and in parks. I think it looks awful. It gives everything a "fake" look.

At home I use cedar mulch in gardens under the pines, and cocoa bean shells in the gardens nearer to the house. Several of the gardens get no mulch, though. I use grass clippings (from less weedy parts of the lawn) to mulch under the vines in the vegetable garden.

I think I have heard that cocoa beans are very good mulch... but very bad if you have dogs...(make them sick) Not sure if this is really true though....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm not a homeowner, but I certainly would never use any red mulch. It is terrible.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Count me in for hardwood - Rob mulched all my beds for me a couple of weeks ago and they look great. Its fortunate that we're both Red Mulch Haters. It does look fake.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I got a couple of bags of homemade mulch off my parents a couple of weeks ago...not sure where and if I'll use them. We're trying to do a natualized garden, so mulch doesn't really fit in. I may use it on the veggies and lonely old rose bush.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Gravel (for you Jersey shore people)

Of course, for a kid on a bike it was an absolute nightmare I still have bits of gravel in my hands and knees from various falls
    They pea gravel and tared my local street right about my prime childhood bike-riding age. I remember on hot days the tar bubbles and their 'pop' and the splattered tar up and down my backside from the rapidly spinnnig bike tires.

and I remember embedded tar and pebbles from many of my falls.

otherwise.. natural hardwood....red is bad bad bad!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We use cocoa bean and pine mulch here. I don't understand the appeal of red mulch - it looks radioactive to me.

Around here, people/businesses have begun using iron oxide from creeks polluted with mine drainage as a dye. I think I heard it has been used to dye mulch, and our conservation district used it to dye some of their concrete.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    What about painted or dyed rubber mulch from made from recycled tires? Has anyone tryed it yet?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What about painted or dyed rubber mulch from made from recycled tires? Has anyone tryed it yet?
    I haven't seen the mulch yet, but in our new park, the surface of the playground's "floor" is made frm dyed recycled tires and is compacted down, so that the playground is "barrier free" for wheel chairs. Extremely cool.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    We have it in our new park here, and it has worked out pretty well. A few residents complained that it got hot in the summer, but no more than anything else. It's not something that I would use in our landscaping at home though.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here in Florida, the only termite-resistant mulch happens to be red. So that's all I use. If it's used tastefully, in reasonably-sized areas with mature plants, it looks fine. It also doesn't fade from the harsh sunlight/rainy seasons and look faded and crappy as quick as regular mulch.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I really like pine needles for mulch as well as pine bark.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Like Cardinal, I use cedar mulch in some areas, and cocoa bean mulch in others. It depends on the plant, the amount of sunlight, propensity for weediness, etc.

Yes, TSC, cocoa bean mulch CAN be toxic to dogs, so if you have a dog who is outside a lot, it's definitely NOT recommended.

I have a real hatred for red mulch. It's really ugly. One of our neighbors used it in his icky landscaped front yard, and it looks like something you'd see at a shopping mall.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We use mostly cyprus mulch.
    There are no coco beans or pine needles available.
    Some pine bark chips but they float away in a decent rain.

Actually our city offers free mulch by the truck load and we used that on our side yard last year. The problem with it that it is not uniform in material or size, it is very rough. It would be great for path making in a woodsy area.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Alright, I've got the red mulch. BUT its only a small 3' strip in front of the house - not a martian landscape with spiral junipers. And it kind of goes with the red door. Actually, I think I'll pick up a few more bags on the way home. Its not that red of a color by the way.

I don't think a Home Depot* parking lot looks any better with acres of brown mulch instead of red.

*See how I purposely didn't invoke Sam's Law.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Color Blind
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Aug 2011, 8:28 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Jul 2007, 6:07 PM
  3. Mustard Color?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 21 Apr 2005, 4:56 PM