Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How high is the cost of gas for you?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    $2.49 for "Premium" at some places. I think $2.39 is the lowest I've seen.

It was pathetic last night. Some dweeb was on the radio demanding that the Governor "Do Something" about gasoline prices. A caller asked him about why the government should save people from themselves. He whined that large SUV drivers were "now stuck with the trucks for five years" and the Governor hs to DO SOMETHING.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    According to Gas Price Watch:

Highest price: Bridgeport, CA - $3.05
    Lowest: Euless, Tx - $1.68 (guess everything isn't bigger in Texas)
    National average: $2.00

The BP down the street: $1.79 (and not a penny of it going toward transit)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Around here it is about 0.96 AUD per litre or 0.67 US per litre or 2.53 US per gallon. About 2/3 of our price is made up of taxes and excises (to capture the consumption of public goods, limit our dependance on oil and assist in funding alternative energy research ).

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I just filled up this morning here in the Windy City, and it was $2.159/gal.

Any thoughts on what the price point would be when we could see long lines, shortages, and the phenomenon that will be known as "gas station rage"? I'm guessing $3.00/gal or more for a sustained period of time.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    for a little nostalgia, there's an exxon station in the new orleans suburbs that closed down a few years ago but left their sign up. the price: 99cents/gallon.
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I just filled up for 2.05 for 87 octane... and premium is about 2.25. I haven't paid under 1.95 in months. I am surprized we aren't higher hearing prices elsewhere.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 2002
    paid 1.959 last night, drove by today and its 1.979 12 hours seems to be plenty of time to jack it up again.

Ok will someone tell me why we dont use our wells out west?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Seems to bounce between US$1.89 and US$1.99 for a gallon (US$0.50 to US$0.53 or CAN$0.69 to CAN$0.74 a liter) in the Cleveland area. Paid $31 last night to fill the tank. I'm not complaining; it's nothing compared to gasoline prices in most of the world.

When I was in Buffalo last weekend, gas prices were $1.99 a gallon at most stations, but all the Mobil stations were up around $2.05 or more.

In my travels, I've found that Georgia usually has the lowest gasoline prices in the US.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Roughly $2.00 which is about the national average. But don't worry, according to Bob Woodward's new book Bush has a deal with the Saudi's that gas prices will fall closer to the election so people will like him.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Here in Nova Scotia gas is more than in Alberta - last night I saw signs advertising 0.969/litre which was up 0.030 from the day before.

Now, bear with me, it is early in the morning here and my math skills don't kick in this early but I think that is about 0.695US/litre. Multiply this by 3.79 litres in 1 gallon equals about US$2.63/gallon.

According to one source, 45% of the price of gas in Nove Scotia is tax.

gas prices

Its $1.95 at some of the cheap stations around here. Most stations are about $1.98 for regular and over $2.00 for premium.

I live in Columbia, Md.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by jmf
    Now, bear with me, it is early in the morning here and my math skills don't kick in this early but I think that is about 0.695US/litre. Multiply this by 3.79 litres in 1 gallon equals about US$2.63/gallon.
    That sounds about right for Ontario too. I haven't really looked at gas prices for a week or so now. I won't need to fill up for another two weeks unless I go out of town.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    When I was in Buffalo last weekend, gas prices were $1.99 a gallon at most stations, but all the Mobil stations were up around $2.05 or more.
    Same here - everyone but Mobil is hovering around $1.99.

I'm with Michaelskis as well - I really don't mind. We fill our Accord's tank about every 10 days or so.

A trip from Albany - Syracuse (to see my parents) requires about a 1 1/2 tanks - gas goes much higher and it would be more economic to take Amtrak for me and the baby!!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    I haven't really been paying attention since my car (Toyota Tercel) plus my driving habits (very short commute) mean that I fill up every other week on average. I can only hope that the price increases (which seem to be more of a price correction than anything) mean that we as a nation will end our love affair with gas hog SUVs and devote more resources to development of alternative fuel technology. Hey, a girl can dream can't she?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    My 10 min. commute to work allows me to fill up my Camry about every 10 days to 2 weeks. I last filled up on Tues. night in suburban Baltimore for $1.89/gallon for regular. It's about that time to dig the New Balances out of the closest, so I can walk to work.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My views haven't changed since we discussed gas prices in this thread.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Roughly $2.00 which is about the national average. But don't worry, according to Bob Woodward's new book Bush has a deal with the Saudi's that gas prices will fall closer to the election so people will like him.
    I've read (and MichelleZone can chime in on this) that the Saudis are pumping about what they can, (The Hubbert? Curve) and that one of the real problems is U.S. refineries' gasoline capacity (they've not been adding capacity, and other countries' gasoline doesn't meet U.S.-and particularly California- standards)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I just paid $2.25 for premium, about a $46.00 fill up total.
    Which is why I don't feel so depressed about selling the LR anymore.

Gas is running about US$1.979 here in western Pennsylvania. That hasn't been a big burden on me since I drive very little during the week. The fiancee, however, has a thirty minute or more commute to work and has since taken over my Accord because her gas hog Jeep only gets around 15mpg. Unless prices come down I don't think I'll ever see my car again.
    Last edited by biscuit; 13 May 2004 at 12:55 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I've read (and MichelleZone can chime in on this) that the Saudis are pumping about what they can, (The Hubbert? Curve) and that one of the real problems is U.S. refineries' gasoline capacity (they've not been adding capacity, and other countries' gasoline doesn't meet U.S.-and particularly California- standards)
    The Saudis are no where near capacity and haven't been for a long time. I've not heard about the refinery issue before, but it doesn't really make sense because the price hikes are being driven by the cost of crude, which isn't affected by refinery production. American oil companies are making money hand-over-fist right now on the high prices, which is probably why Bush seems so indifferent about them, and they have strong incentive to make up a bull**** story about refineries to explain away his inaction.

The majority of the price increase is speculatory, people know there's an oil crunch coming out of the middle east, so they're buying up crude on the markets in expectation for higher prices later. The Saudis could crush those prices by announcing a big increase in production, which is probably what they're dealing with Bush to do. Bush figures he can let the oil companies make their money now, then force prices down about a month or so before the election such that everyone will have forgotten all about the high prices by the time they get to the polls. Should the Saudis not come through, Bush still has an ace up his sleeve: He can announce that he's going to tap the SOR to push prices down before the election. That'll have the same effect on the market as a Saudi production increase, but people will worry about drawing the SOR down and it'll highlight the trouble in the middle east, so it'll remain Plan B.

At the BP store on the 100% corner here , the price is $1.999 for regular and $2.199 for super. Mrs. Gedunker and I are considering taking the little 'dunkers to the Gulf of Mexico this summer in her Civic instead of my Isuzu (even though my V6, 5-speed manual gets about 21-22mpg highway). I'm all for it -- means more money for vacation
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    The Saudis are no where near capacity and haven't been for a long time. I've not heard about the refinery issue before, but it doesn't really make sense because the price hikes are being driven by the cost of crude, which isn't affected by refinery production. American oil companies are making money hand-over-fist right now on the high prices, which is probably why Bush seems so indifferent about them, and they have strong incentive to make up a bull**** story about refineries to explain away his inaction.

The majority of the price increase is speculatory, people know there's an oil crunch coming out of the middle east, so they're buying up crude on the markets in expectation for higher prices later. The Saudis could crush those prices by announcing a big increase in production, which is probably what they're dealing with Bush to do. Bush figures he can let the oil companies make their money now, then force prices down about a month or so before the election such that everyone will have forgotten all about the high prices by the time they get to the polls. Should the Saudis not come through, Bush still has an ace up his sleeve: He can announce that he's going to tap the SOR to push prices down before the election. That'll have the same effect on the market as a Saudi production increase, but people will worry about drawing the SOR down and it'll highlight the trouble in the middle east, so it'll remain Plan B.
    I agree with your analysis that much of the price run-up is pure profiteering, and Bush has no interest in reining in the record profits of his buddies.

BUT, analysts have noted that gasoline refinery capacity is a serious issue in the US. Upcoming shortages will of course fuel the speculative profit-taking.

I also disagree that the Saudi's have vast reserves of untapped oil. The Saudi's have been doing the same thing a few of the Big Oil companies have been caught doing-talking up their reserves beyond reality. I'm sure they could temporarily flood the markets to reduce prices, but from what I've read (and I'm no expert), the long term capacity in Saudi Arabia is not there (their main oil field, some analysts speculate, is now declining.)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Well it is up to $2.0699 for the cheep stuff here... I filled up when it was $1.799 about two weeks ago. (my car gets great gas mileage, and I try not to drive everywhere now that the snow is gone and my bike tires have air)

(This may lead to a new post, but I will leave that up to a moderator to decide)
    Do you think that this is going to lead to changes in the driving habits of people, car sales, and a possible increase in public transportation such as light rail?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Bought gas in Wauseon, OH, just about two (2) weeks ago.....at $1.60. This week paid $1.93 in Toledo. Today on Central Avenue in west Toledo I saw it for $1.89.

Compared to "the world" we don't pay too much......but we always compare it to what we have paid before.

Michaelskis.....yes, driving habits will change. Sales of gas-guzzlers will drop and there will be renewed interest in small cars and the combo gas/electric jobs (hybrids). Some folks will opt for shorter-drive vacations rather than their original plans.....example Ohio folks who normally travel the 200-400 miles to northern Lower Michigan or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan will change plans and go to someplace closer, such as Cedar Point (8 million-billion roller coasters).

I think that the biggest effect will be on costs.....examples plastic products and freight charges. So much of what we consume is plastic. Many large ticket items, such as autos and appliances, are filled with plastic goodies. And the fuel costs to ship all of those things just keeps going up, up, up. This is where we will get hit.

And, finally.....I don't see lines forming for transit (light-rail, etc.), even if gas goes to $3.00. Maybe some increases in metro's with good transit systems.....but most places will still have single-driver vehicles, headin' down the highway. Just a few less trips and a little more trip consolidation.

Bear In His Truck, Alone Most Of The Time

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    There was a survey in an IN paper today that asked if people would change their habits if gas prices kept increasing. Less than 10% said they'd ride the bus. About 40% said they wouldn't change their habits at all.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Gas prices shot up bigtime today in Toledo. You can't find gas for less tht $2.039 anywhere. (Glad I filled the Taurus earlier this week when it was still under $2.00. I don't think I've ever paid over $2.00 for gas)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Sep 2011, 5:50 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 1:40 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Oct 2010, 6:25 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Mar 1999, 9:17 PM
  5. High-end,high-tech condominiums