Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: How high is the cost of gas for you?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    putting it into perspective......

How much per gallon?

Coca-Cola: $3.10
    Coppertone Hydrating Sunblock Oil Free SPF 30: $362.24
    Guinness: $14.17
    Sue Bee honey: $41.92
    Chanel No. 5 perfume: $3,839.25
    Kendall-Jackson Estate Series Chardonnay: $85.75
    Red Bull Energy Drink: $28.88
    Paper Mate Liquid Paper: $182.65
    Blood (for refrigeration and testing): $1,156
    Botox: $1.36 million
    OPI nail polish, in the shade of "I'm Not Really a Waitress": $1,766.54
    Starbucks latte: $21.76
    Heinz ketchup: $9.68
    Bausch & Lomb ReNu Multipurpose Solution (for contact lenses): $117.23
    Robitussin-DM cough medicine: $111.89
    Large chocolate shake from Steak 'n Shake: $13.21
    Rogaine: $850.93
    Evian: $6.40
    Planet Smoothie large smoothie: $17.63
    Vigo Imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil: $31.28

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    great point - the tracts of McMansions are going to seriously devalue. I've said it before, that i won't be surprised at all if late 90's, upper-middle class sprawlville is the new ghetto in waiting.

All of these houses will be chopped up into seperate units, some of them turned into ghetto groceries and chinese take-out, impossible to serve effectively by transit, and because of their isolation we'll see the violence and gang activity more commonly associated with LA.
    Well, that's certainly what happened befoe: many of those gigantic Victorian mansions made good slum housing. Will the pasteboard and hardee plank stand up as well as the solidly constructed wooden mansions of the past did?

And, 4 familes per "Mediterranean Villa" would help solve the housing shortage in California.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    great point - the tracts of McMansions are going to seriously devalue. I've said it before, that i won't be surprised at all if late 90's, upper-middle class sprawlville is the new ghetto in waiting.

All of these houses will be chopped up into seperate units, some of them turned into ghetto groceries and chinese take-out, impossible to serve effectively by transit, and because of their isolation we'll see the violence and gang activity more commonly associated with LA. ...
    I wonder. At least the urban victorian neighborhoods had access to transit and jobs. These neighborhoods have less to offer the poor.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I do not normally pay attention to gas prices. But I took my husband to work this morning and he made a big deal out of it, so I remember it: On base it is $2.21, $2.33, and $2.43 (for regular, premium, and whatever the other grade is). He mentioned it had dropped back down to $1.88 at some fairly recent point. But I don't remember the time frame he gave.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I just noticed on my way to work this morning - $2.25 a gallon in the city

West Philly was built as a streetcar suburb and from 1890 to 1950 was where wealthy families with kids lived. From the mid 60's on the large Victorian twins became apartment after apartment and the area deteriorated. It's really only come around in the last 10 years.

Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Sep 2011, 4:50 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 12:40 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Oct 2010, 5:25 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Mar 1999, 8:17 PM
  5. High-end,high-tech condominiums