Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pedestrian crossings

Registered
    Jul 2002

Pedestrian crossings

Throbbing Brain - I am looking for info about how to select the type of pedestrian crossing facility to be installed on any given street - what are the decision criteria used? Flow diagrams perhaps? I'm not having much luck with google

I'm also interested in ways of classifying different types of crossings e.g. priority or non-priority.

I'm helping out on a project to revise Pedestrian Crossing Facility Selection Guidance.

Thanks
    Last edited by JNL; 12 May 2004 at 11:19 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Sorry! I may not be able to help you directly and specifically asyou may be following different techniques out there.

But I would definitely want to ask whether you have the pedestrian flow/traffic figures.Mid Block as well as at intersections.
    There must be a minimum traffic which must want a pedestrian facility to be created!
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Check out this website: http://www.walkinginfo.org/
    click on Design Guidelines.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Throbbing Brain - I am looking for info about how to select the type of pedestrian crossing facility to be installed on any given street - what are the decision criteria used? Flow diagrams perhaps? I'm not having much luck with google

I'm also interested in ways of classifying different types of crossings e.g. priority or non-priority.

I'm helping out on a project to revise Pedestrian Crossing Facility Selection Guidance.

Thanks
    We use "warrants" here - a mathematical analysis which takes into account things like ped crossing volume, ped type (%elderly, child, adult), and auto volumes to determine if a crossing is needed ("waranted"). Geometric considerations also come into play to determine if a crossing is feasible.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Don't forget about bus stops or other transit stops along the road.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    We use "warrants" here - a mathematical analysis which takes into account things like ped crossing volume, ped type (%elderly, child, adult), and auto volumes to determine if a crossing is needed ("waranted"). Geometric considerations also come into play to determine if a crossing is feasible.
    We use warrants too - but currently they are limited to assessing mainly just auto volumes and ped volumes. We want to revise the warrants to include a wider range of considerations, such as ped type, network considerations (improving access to nearby facilities), and types of auto traffic (e.g. trucks, buses).

Would be interested in seeing how your warrants incorporate ped type considerations, Tranplanner.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Check out this website: http://www.walkinginfo.org/
    click on Design Guidelines.
    That is a great site...

I would suggest looking at variables such as amount of pedestrian traffic, road width, light times, painted, raised, or other material used for cross walks, bus stops, and location of near by features such as parking ramps, schools, and parks. I would also suggest looking at pedestrian / vehicle accidents, and the related variables. This will help to illustrate recommended design standards.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Apr 2008, 3:49 PM
  2. Pedestrian crossings at roundabouts
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 09 Aug 2006, 11:05 PM
  3. Road crossings and golf course design
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 03 Feb 2006, 4:02 PM