Urban planning community

Poll results: What night would work?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sunday Night

3 20.00%
  • Monday Night

3 20.00%
  • No Opinion, since I Live too far away.

9 60.00%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini Laefest in SW Michigan for those who are not going to Make it to Chicago….

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Mini Laefest in SW Michigan for those who are not going to Make it to Chicago….

The FL laefest site reminded me… Does Sunday or Monday work better for a Mini SW Michigan Laefest in Kalamazoo? I was thinking of going to some places such as Bells, Monico Bay, Wayside, Corner Bar, and a few other cool places. Who can attend and what night would be better?

OH and these dates are June 13th or 14th
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would be travelling back from Cleveland to Milwaukee on that Monday, and might be convinced to swing north....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm always up for another laefest. Weekend-ish times are best, less chance of missing a hearing or meeting.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Either night would work for me. I guess if I'm gonna vote it will be MOnday since Chet may be able to stop by. I assume JNL will be in town during this time.

Given the fact this is a Laefest, I think it should be held at an establishment that revolves around drinking than other forms or entertainment (ie not Monico Bay or Wayside).

Corner Bar has I think 15 beers on tab and dozens and dozens of bottles, descent food and a dirty ole bar atmosphere and Bells is a Brew Pub, what better place for an Laefes than that, plus don't forget the Beer Garden will be in full effect.

Only down fall with Bells is the don't serve anything else but Bells Beer. For those who don't like Microbrews, you'll be drinking water

Corner Bar or Bells get my vote over the other options mentioned.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    Either night would work for me. I guess if I'm gonna vote it will be MOnday since Chet may be able to stop by.
    Dont hang the shingle out because of me -- its just a maybe but thanks for the thought.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Dont hang the shingle out because of me -- its just a maybe but thanks for the thought.
    NO, either night work for me, I just thought if there is a chance you could stop by Michaelskis could buy you a

Right Michaelskis, your hosting the party

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I would be travelling back from Cleveland to Milwaukee on that Monday, and might be convinced to swing north....
    I think that would work for another Monday night vote, and yes... it Chet made it, I would by him a beer just because he is cool!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    All this talk of laefests is getting me thirsty for a , but I'm at work and it's just after 11:00...

Registered
    Feb 2002
    What time are we talking? On Sunday I will be heading back from Saginaw and could swing by on my way here, but I would have Josie. So, it will depend on where and what time.

Monday could also work.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I assume JNL will be in town during this time.
    Yep. If it's Sunday, I'll probably sleep all day (after flying for most of Saturday: Wellington -> Auckland -> LA -> Chicago) and get michaelskis to wake me up in time to start drinking B-)

Either day is okay with me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I prefer SUnday and the brew garden, I checked the web site doesn't seem to be any entertainment on the books then. Really anyplace would be fine.

Yo Dan might ye be coming?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I vote Monday night - Bells.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I vote Monday night - Bells.
    Your at Bells every monday....

There is no reason that it has to be limited to one place!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Your at Bells every monday....

There is no reason that it has to be limited to one place!
    That doesn't make it any less attractive, though. It IS a smoke free environment and they DO serve ale last I knew....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What about O' Duffy's? PBD introduced me to that bar, and it is a great place... Smoke free and conducive to positive interaction... AKA (they have beer, and light music)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    What about O' Duffy's? PBD introduced me to that bar, and it is a great place... Smoke free and conducive to positive interaction... AKA (they have beer, and light music)
    I THINK they are closed on Sunday and I KNOW they are closed on Monday.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I THINK they are closed on Sunday and I KNOW they are closed on Monday.
    I think that bars should be more accommodating at times. On Friday I went out with a friend to O' Duffy's and I was thinking that it would be a perfect place... then we went to Bells and well, it was hippie village night or something. There seemed to be three hairstyles for guys... Longer with nothing done, buzz cut short, or dreadlocks. I was dressed up a little bit and was severely overdressed. It was fun though.

I am thinking Monday will work for most people... It does not need to be a full night thing, but a chance to get together for a few beers and to meet up... 7pm at Bells, and Maister can meet up with us after he gets done with the ZBA meeting...

Will this work for those who would like to attend?
    ?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I am thinking Monday will work for most people... It does not need to be a full night thing, but a chance to get together for a few beers and to meet up... 7pm at Bells, and Maister can meet up with us after he gets done with the ZBA meeting...

Will this work for those who would like to attend?
    ?
    I've got it down in my PDA. I'll be there.

And I'll try to get the future Ms. PBD to attend. She hears all about you folks so I'm sure she would be interested in seeing who my "imaginative friends" are.

See you at 7:00 on June 14th at Bell's

Registered
    Aug 2001

Kalamazoo tour anyone?

So that would work I suppose... Anyone want to meet earlier and wander about the area, there are a couple shops(architectural salvage and antique warehouse) that I'd like to check out and the rose street market place..

Also JNL,michealskis whomever is Toronto bound the following weekend, My place in Grattan, Kent County Michigan is on the way (I-96)to Port Huron to cross Lake Huron on your way to the Toronto laefest it puts you right on the 401.

Open invitation: please stop in cyburbanites!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jen
    So that would work I suppose... Anyone want to meet earlier and wander about the area, there are a couple shops(architectural salvage and antique warehouse) that I'd like to check out and the rose street market place..

Also JNL,michealskis whomever is Toronto bound the following weekend, My place in Grattan, Kent County Michigan is on the way (I-96)to Port Huron to cross Lake Huron on your way to the Toronto laefest it puts you right on the 401.

I have a few days off, so I am up for it... if you want, I will PM you my cell number and we all can meet downtown for lunch, and just stay downtown till we meet up at Bells.

As for Toronto, I do not think that I will be able to make it, but I know that [b]JNL[b] will be attending. I believe [b]Cardinal[b] offered to drive with her there...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    All this talk of laefests is getting me thirsty for a , but I'm at work and it's just after 11:00...
    Hear hear!

I am Always™ (gotta love Wal*Mart) game for a good beer (and a plus if the place plays NTN trivia. )

BTW, has a date/time/place been set yet for the Chicago one? I live about 3.5 hours drive time from there and can easily make it, regardless of the day, if I have a week or two notice.

Mike

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've got it down in my PDA. I'll be there.

And I'll try to get the future Ms. PBD to attend. She hears all about you folks so I'm sure she would be interested in seeing who my "imaginative friends" are.

See you at 7:00 on June 14th at Bell's
    If this weren't so far north of my intended route to the south, I'd be here. Sorry.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Jen

Yay Would you be able to PM me your address? I know you already did a while back but I think I accidentally deleted it.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Confirming SW MI Laefest

I was just wandering through my PDA and noticed the SW Michigan Laefest is planned for this coming monday June 14th at 7:00 at Bells Brewery in downtown Kalamazoo.

Is this still on? Just want to confirm this.

Looking forward to meeting and remeeting those fo you who can attend.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have an idea. Since Maister is stuck with the Zoning Board at 7:00 on 6/14, how about everyone meet first at the meeting (should only be about 45 min - hour) and all the planners sitting in the audience could make lots of public comments haranguing the applicants and being extremely pro-administration for a change...."my god, staff recommendations on this matter are simply brilliant... I have never seen a situation where conflicting land use screening was more appropriately proposed..... I have seen some lame variance requests in my day but this one takes the cake.....Sir, can I have your autograph..... Whatever you're getting paid its not enough....." you know, the usual sorts of comments that one wishes they could hear.
    Then we would truly have a reason to go drinking at Bell's....

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. North Texas Mini-Laefest???
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 7:09 PM
  2. Michigan Laefest Discussion Thread.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 95
    Last post: 16 Jun 2005, 10:41 AM
  3. Replies: 36