Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New guide: Safer Places - The Planning System and Crime Prevention

Registered
    Jul 2002

New guide: Safer Places - The Planning System and Crime Prevention

Just found this great new guide to planning and designing safer places, produced by the UK Home Office. Lots of pictures, examples, and case studies.

Link: http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/act...munities61.htm

This publication, by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, is a good practice guide for planners, architects and developers to make streets, homes, and parks safer places. The guide encourages greater attention to crime prevention principles and to the attributes of safer places, and is intended as a starting point for planners. It will built upon with new local solutions, as best practice evolves and local conditions change.

Title: Safer Places: The Planning System and Crime Prevention
    Author: Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
    Number of pages: 109 (summary: 12 pages)
    Date published: April 2004

This guide challenges influential developers and designers to think in a holistic manner about each new building project. A key principle is that there is no universal solution to every problem. Each location is unique, and so what works in one place may not work in another. It is important that the many professional disciplines work closely together and pay close attention to the needs of the local area.

Sustainable communities are those which succeed economically, socially and environmentally, and respect the needs of future generations. They are well-designed places where people feel safe and secure; where crime and disorder, or the fear of crime, doesn't undermine quality of life or community cohesion. Safer places are therefore key to creating sustainable communities.
    If anybody downloads and reads this, I'd be interested to hear feedback

Thanks for the link, I've downloaded it and will flip through it later on tonight while watching the hockey game (GO FLAMES GO!) :-P Safety & security and defensible space are very key issues and good urban design has a lot to do with how space is used and perceived by users, I'm quite fascinated by the subject. So fascinated in fact, that I wrote my masters thesis on the topic of safety & security and physical design in alleys. If you'd like to have another weighty and long-winded academic tome to read, feel free to go to

http://www.syldavia.net/Files/David%...al%20Draft.pdf

Cheers!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Spatial_Monkey
    If you'd like to have another weighty and long-winded academic tome to read, feel free to go to
    http://www.syldavia.net/Files/David%...al%20Draft.pdf
    Thanks!! I look forward to reading it. Great to see some local pics in there too. I might be getting involved in a local project to develop design guidelines for alleys and walkways so appreciate such material

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:16 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 May 2012, 2:48 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 2:55 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 3:31 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 May 1997, 6:04 PM