Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What can you walk to? But if you were disabled..

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

What can you walk to? But if you were disabled ...

This thread got lost in the db swap, so let's start it over again...

I remember saying that Valdivia and in general Chile has very bad accesibility for disabled people. In Santiago, many subway stations don't have elevators or ramps. Curb cuts are common, but not fully present. Many public buildings here in Valdivia are missing the basic accesibility ramps(Like many banks, theaters, etc)

The reserved disabled parking spaces in stores and supermarkets are not respected at all, and I even told you guys about that traumatologist that parked on all 4 of the disabled parking lots in a supermarket...

Well let's build up again the topic :-}
    Last edited by SkeLeton; 09 Sep 2003 at 4:50 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our part of the US has done a relatively good job of addressing issues of accessibility. I will still notice older buildings with problems, and even sometimes something new. Retrofitting older buildings is always a problem, and has led to some pretty hideous ramps.

There is something of a problem with the Americans with Disabilities Act and (of course) unscupulous lawyers. They will identify some small infraction at a public place like a mall or restaurant, then immediately file a suit against the owner and/or operator to collect damages. Some in the development community are pushing for a change to require a notification period providing an opportunity to remedy the problem before a suit can be filed. We are not talking about major infractions, but somethin as simple as not having braille type on a sign.

My city is under court order to install ADA sidewalks. They just installed one at my house this past week.

This has greatly improved accessibility. I walk to work and there are a whole lot of curb cuts along the way. It's making a big difference.

However, the contractor sucks and there are a bunch of them that were done incorrectly and cause water to pool. A neighbor on another street slipped and broke his wrist on ice that had formed because the ADA sidewalk wasn't built properly.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    There is something of a problem with the Americans with Disabilities Act and (of course) unscupulous lawyers. They will identify some small infraction at a public place like a mall or restaurant, then immediately file a suit against the owner and/or operator to collect damages.
    Relevant story on Yahoo! today:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...cotus_disabled

Top Court Rules in Favor of Disabled Man

The Supreme Court upheld the rights of disabled people under a national law meant to protect them, ruling Monday that a paraplegic who crawled up the steps of a small-town courthouse can sue over the lack of an elevator.

The 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act properly gives private citizens such as George Lane the right to seek money in court if a state fails to live up to the law's requirements, a 5-to-4 majority ruled.

In previous cases, the high court has repeatedly limited the effect of the ADA, so Monday's outcome was unexpected.

At issue in Lane's case was the right of private citizens to try to pursue alleged violations of the ADA in federal courts. Advocates for the disabled claimed that the fear of hefty damage awards was a powerful tool to force state governments to follow the law.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Most, but not all, Boston subway stops are accessible [marked with a blue symbol on this map]. I've always found it funny and unfortunate that the only stop on the Red Line main branch without wheelchair access is the stop for Mass General Hospital.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 08 Aug 2011, 10:44 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 3:59 PM
  3. Hardscaping and the disabled
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Oct 2007, 1:25 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Apr 2005, 2:42 PM