Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Brood X

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Brood X

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Any periodical cicada sightings from the Cyburbia world?

Brood X range, from the University of Michigan.

Nothing here in Cleveland. I think we're just outside the Brood X boundary, but the dogs have taken to "breakdancing" on the lawn in the past couple of days. I hate bugs, so I really, really hope it's just bird poop they're rolling in, and not monster cicadas emerging from their 17 year nap.

According to this site, cicadas are Atkins friendly! Ewwwwwwww ..........
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Nothing here in Pittsburgh. The fiancee is scared that they will decide to attack on the wedding day. I told her that it would be a good thing if they did. We can save some cash by roasting the critters and serving 'em at cocktail hour.
    That's much more exotic than canopies don't you think?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In DC, they've emerged in force. I can hear their drone walking in the morning, and have definitely stepped on a couple already. Seeing thousands and thousands of empty nymph shells clinging to vertical surfaces, from tree trunks to fence posts, makes me wonder ominously, 'where are all the adults?' Then one flys smack into my head and flops to the ground.

Here's a neat cicada website from the University of Michigan:
    http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fa...gan/Index.html

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Haven't seen/heard any yet, although according the map, it looks as though we're in the midst of a plague of locusts. Too cloudy to see the 4 horsemen, too, so I guess we're safe... B-)
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    You folks in Brood X territory just need less forest, more agriculture and more pavement - that's all. Observe:

Demise of Finger Lakes cicadas indicator of urbanization's [and agriculture's] impact
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    In Arlington Va they are coming out in force, damn things seem to like to cling to my car tires. Its a battle to keep the hounds from eating them till they loose their lunch (always in the bedroom floor)

Grilling out tonight-wonder how many of the critters will stop in and join dinner
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

My son has a soccer game tom'w. Although they aren't here in So. Indiana yet, Mrs. G. will probably be taking him

EDIT: Update: just talked to a friend that lives in the county -- she's got millions of 'em. She drove over 'em in the driveway and left -- her words "slime tracks"
    Last edited by Gedunker; 14 May 2004 at 2:43 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    No sign of the little buggers here in SW Michigan.... YET

Personally, I hope they do come out in full force here, I think it will be pretty neat. They don't bite or cause to many problems.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ChevyChaseDC
    Here's a neat cicada website from the University of Michigan:
    http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fa...gan/Index.html
    COOOL you can download the mating calls of the Cicadas. I have it on a continous loop on Media Player, :-P I wonder how long it will take till someone comes by my cubical trying to figure what the heck is going on.

Registered
    May 2002
    Heres another cool link: http://www.cicadamania.com/

We don't have cicadas on the Eastern Shore, but 17 years ago when I was in high school in Western Maryland they were everywhere. It was almost deafening at times. The worst was getting hit in the head while you were riding your bike. You probably definitely want to have a facemask on your helmet if you ride a motorcycle. They fly slow and wobbly and run into things all the time. Make sure you shake your laundry out real well if you hang it outside.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Well?

It was a big story that they were coming, but I haven't heard a peep about them arriving.

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Plenty of them around here!

They can be occasionally loud. I know some folks that have tempurahed them and served them as appetizers. There have also been a few reported auto accidents where the little fellas have flown in the open window of a car and freaked out some jumpy driver. Folks, they don't bite, transmit disease, or anything else so, please, just stay calm and just brush them off if they land on you. P.S. You could hear them loud and clear in the CBS telecast of the golf tourney this weekend. One lucky little fella was sitting on Tiger's back at one point.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Odd that you mention this, but I don't recall hearing any cicadas this year in Kansas, although it may be early in the year for them to burrow out of the ground.

They have not been any sort of nuisance here (I've only seen one carcass), but Mrs. G. says that they are out in full force where she works in Louisville. She said the stench from their dead bodies is becoming overwhelming and with temps here expected to be in the upper 80s, it will likely get worse.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Haven't heard much yet in Toledo, Ohio. I heard most of the activity is downstate, south of Lima.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    They are dying off here at a rapid rate. It was pretty loud for a couple days and in some areas out in Fairfax Co the dead bugs were 2 inches or more deep and STUNK!

Now its just the stray one here or there and the distant hum-no more than a typical summer I think now that the worst is over.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Brood X is coming
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Apr 2004, 12:37 PM