Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hope and Innocence

Hope and Innocence

Hello Fellow Planners-
    On Saturday my girlfriend's son graduated from college. He was the valedictorian, gave a great speach. He studied english and writes poetry.
    I sat there through the graduation thinking back to my graduation, and how I was back then. I was full of idealism, hope, and ready to conquer the world.
    I have become so jaded, so cynical, and I realized all things I have lost over the years to the world and the profession. The world of local politics, mostly trivial BS has crushed all of that innocence and hope. The real world turned out to be a lot different than I imagined. I have managed to make a few small contributions, and I suppopse that keeps me going, but I was jealous of all those young people this weekend, and it made me sad when I realized all that has been lost to the real world of houses, mortgages, jobs, promotions, money, getting ahead, surviving.

Just me philiosphizing on a Monday morning trying to get motivated--still thinking about what I have become and what I used to be.........

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have only been out of school for a few years now, but I am still working to maintain my hopes and dreams, and I realize that if something is keeping me down, I need to rethink my ideas of how to get there.

BUT, some of the people in my office do not feel the same about work, life, and society as I do... mainly because one thing or another has kept them down.

Don't let the man keep you down!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Your innocence may be lost forever, but hope and idealism and so forth can be regained. I get accused of naivite from time to time. Folks seem to think I haven't been broken by this world because I remain an idealist. Or I get accused of being "pie in the sky". Neither is true. To quote Hemingway: "The world breaks everyone. Some grow stronger in the broken places." (or something to that effect). And Heinlein once said something like "get the facts -- they are the only thing you can be sure of". If you want to do great and wonderous things and live out your dreams and ideals, you MUST Get The Facts. Dreams are not made manifest by folks who cannot face reality. But "No battle plan survives the first engagement". Idealistic dreams must be flexible and adaptable to some degree.

You can choose to let go of all those hurts and be born anew. Such practices as forgiveness and meditation (or prayer or visualization or whatever your belief system calls it) can wash you clean, psychologically and emotionally. Healing is a choice.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd
    I was full of idealism, hope, and ready to conquer the world.
    I lost all hope this weekend . I think I'll go home early today. Why try anymore.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd
    Hello Fellow Planners-
    ....... I have become so jaded, so cynical, and I realized all things I have lost over the years to the world and the profession. The world of local politics, mostly trivial BS has crushed all of that innocence and hope. The real world turned out to be a lot different than I imagined. ............

You have to look on the bright side. Now you will get to be entertained as you watch all that new meat come into the work world and slowly watch the lifeblood drain from thier once clueless bodies. Only to be replaced with bitterness and cynicism as all idealism is replaced by the age old grind of the world not wanting to be saved.

If they are smart (or lucky) they will wise up early and get a hobby and become an expert in something that makes them happy away from the workplac!

LOL
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I may not be as naive or idealistic as I was when I graduated, but I have not yet given up my dream of conquering the world. From my sectret lair in the hills of Wisconsin, surrounded by beautiful young women in skimpy bikinis (yes, even in winter), I will train a ravenous herd of super-holsteins to carry out my plans.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    You have to look on the bright side. Now you will get to be entertained as you watch all that new meat come into the work world and slowly watch the lifeblood drain from thier once clueless bodies. Only to be replaced with bitterness and cynicism as all idealism is replaced by the age old grind of the world not wanting to be saved.
    I had my soul crushing moment last month actually, after a long and horrible planning board meeting where several awfully NIBMYish and overreacting and screechy residents condescended and were horribly rude for 4 hours, I commented to my boss that after three years of serving as staff to the Board, my will to care had finally been vanquished. He smiled sagely and nodded "Ah, you have learned, Grasshopper."

If they are smart (or lucky) they will wise up early and get a hobby and become an expert in something that makes them happy away from the workplac!
    exellent advice, i couldn't agree with more.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    What is this "Hope and Innocence" of which you speak? (Notice no winkie face.)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    WOW, you must have started out in the black pit. But thats ok, as the fall hurts. If you ever manage to claw your way into the sunshine, you will find its quite pleasent!

Just don't try to catch any of the bodies as they fall, you don't want to get sucked back in!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    WOW, you must have started out in the black pit. But thats ok, as the fall hurts. If you ever manage to claw your way into the sunshine, you will find its quite pleasent!

Just don't try to catch any of the bodies as they fall, you don't want to get sucked back in!
    DoD, I have no clue what you're trying to say. I guess my mind is too simple.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Without the "winkie face" in this instance, you are implying "in all seriousnes" that you do not get the "hope and innocence, dreams & goals, and desire to go out and do great things". At least that is how I took it.

So I took that to denote that you have had a really rough start with life from the beggining. In this case, I was joking "don't try and catch any of the falling bodies" to say that since you have clawed your way up to being OK. Trying to prevent others from losing some of the "hope and innocence, dreams & goals, and desire to go out and do great things" is to difficult in most cases if not impossible in most.

Mostly it was a toungue in cheek joke on the dark side of life.

Peace

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Without the "winkie face" in this instance, you are implying "in all seriousnes" that you do not get the "hope and innocence, dreams & goals, and desire to go out and do great things". At least that is how I took it.

So I took that to denote that you have had a really rough start with life from the beggining. In this case, I was joking "don't try and catch any of the falling bodies" to say that since you have clawed your way up to being OK. Trying to prevent others from losing some of the "hope and innocence, dreams & goals, and desire to go out and do great things" is to difficult in most cases if not impossible in most.

Mostly it was a toungue in cheek joke on the dark side of life.

Peace
    On the contrary, DoD, I experienced a great start to life, wonderful parents and siblings. Raised in a good community. Experienced pleasure, happiness, fatherhood. But over the past few months my view of life has been endeblibly altered by the person I gave to and trusted with everything. Crap happens, I got dumped on, and my view changed.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    On the contrary, DoD, I experienced a great start ........... I got dumped on, and my view changed.
    Yup, that is what we are talking about, loosing your idealism & dreams. Sorry about that. Got to look on the bright side of it though (not that there really is one), your not alone. If your lucky, it will only happen once instead of multiple times. Because it can happen in many myriads of ways. Happens to most of us at one time or another. Things get better with time. Having good friends helps a lot.

See you at the top of the pit!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Is there any hope?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 13 Feb 2014, 9:56 PM
  2. Replies: 49
    Last post: 26 Dec 2008, 10:48 AM
  3. Hope VI
    Economic and Community Development