Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: el Guapo Rant #7 - U.S. athletes told to cool it at Olympics - Contains the F bomb

Registered
    Oct 2001

el Guapo Rant #7 - U.S. athletes told to cool it at Olympics - Contains the F bomb

NEW YORK ó American athletes have been warned not to wave the U.S. flag during their medal celebrations at this summer's Olympic Games in Athens, for fear of provoking crowd hostility and harming the country's already-battered public image.
    The spectacle of victorious athletes grabbing a national flag and parading it around the stadium is a familiar part of international sporting competition, but U.S. Olympic officials have ordered their 550-strong team to exercise restraint and avoid any jingoistic behavior....

Read the rest of the story
    Well, old el Guapo says the US Olympic Officials need to stick this directive right up their apologist assess. The day we have to go to some **** hole like Greece and apologize for being ourselves is the day I head to the hills with my bikes and my guns.

Did the God Dammed ****ing Russians apologize and sneak into the Moscow Olympics after they invaded Afghanistan on a pretext? Did the freaking Chinese apologize for Tiananmen before they host the next set of games?

Listen the **** up: AMERICA DOESNíT HAVE A DAMED THING TO APPOLIOGIZE FOR. NOT ONE GOOD GOD DAMMED THING.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    two words eG: De Caf

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Whether or not U.S. athletes should tone down the flag-waving, I could care less.

However, if I were a world-class American athlete, I'd have second thoughts about going to Athens -- as my Dad would say, a hop, skip and a jump from the Middle East -- for the Olympics. Witness the recent defections from the USA basketball "Dream Team" -- Kobe, Shaq, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Allen Iverson and Tim Duncan -- they've all turned it down, and being in Athens played a role.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Cute MZ but I'm "defend the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic" pissed beyond belief right now. If anything, now is the time we should be flying the colors and letting the world know we can take a few punches and still retain our pride and belief in who we are. We are in a war for our survival as a nation, a people, and as a democracy. The war in Afghanistan is just. The war in Iraq is just as just, and is a result of the failure of the UN and the Franco-Pacifistas and their spinelessness. The rest of the world failed the people of Iraq as they continue to do! Great Britian excluded.

Folks it is time to say it as it is: Arab-Street-Islam (not PBS made-pretty academic Islam) is not a religion of peace. It is a religion that looks the other way when it is convenient. Arab-Street-Islam and western democracy have proven to be incompatible (Turkey is not an example). We need to come out and say it as a nation. We need to contain Islam just like we did Communism. If we don't fight the virus that is Arab-Street-Islam there in the Middle East we will be fighting it here.

Arab-Street-Islam makes no place in its world for you liberal freethinking lovers of all mankind either. Ask yourself who is more likely to be tolerant of a same sex couple living next door to them, Imam Zawahiri or a Missouri Southern Baptist?

Who is more likely to look the other way when he notices a young woman getting it on with a man who is not her husband, Imam Zawahiri or a Catholic Priest?

Who is more likely to seek a peaceful resolution to a perceived slight, Imam Zawahiri or a Wyoming Republican?

It makes me sick to see the US media kissing Islam's ass meanwhile denegrating the very people that are trying to formulate a sane and rational policy whereby they keep America safe and seek to eliminate terrorists overseas. These people need killing. And no one else is going to kill them except us ( and Great Brittan). The rest of the world is kept free by us.

Iím tired of having people tell me to apologize for being an American. America is a great country that has taken risks, saved millions and millions of peopleís lives, single handedly rescued impoverished continents, led by example and rule of law, always tried very hard, and payed this price on the backs of its middle and lower classes. Yep, the great unwashed of America have given the world its freedom. And for what? So we can sneak into Athens and hear a bunch of Mexicans shout Osama while we scurry around and fear making eye-contact? ****'em!

We donít always get it 100% right, but at least we are out their doing something. What the **** has France ever done for anyone in the last 100 years? To the rest of the world who seem to think we owe them an apology: **** Off.

MZ Not aimed at you - I'm just ranting - as is still my right.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Damn, EG.

Your rant basically confirmed what I suspected all along -- that our government is fighting a new Crusade. However, instead of Christianity vs. Islam, it's become The American Way (with the help of the Brits) vs. Islam.

As for pursuing this new Crusade; whether it's right or wrong, it seems like a prescription for taking the USA from being THE economic and military superpower with 300 million people now to being one of many semi-powerful nations in the world with 200 million people 20 years from now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    Damn, EG.

Your rant basically confirmed what I suspected all along -- that our government is fighting a new Crusade. However, instead of Christianity vs. Islam, it's become The American Way (with the help of the Brits) vs. Islam.

As for pursuing this new Crusade; whether it's right or wrong, it seems like a prescription for taking the USA from being THE economic and military superpower with 300 million people now to being one of many semi-powerful nations in the world with 200 million people 20 years from now.

Pete
    How can anything I say confirm a official government policy? It is just my opinion alone. No one else is kooky enough to state what I have just stated in public, besides Ann Coulter.

I disagree. I think containing Arab-Street-Islam is doing the world a favor and may be the only thing that keeps us from becoming a France or Canada or Spain.

There are already 10 confirmed Islamic Nuclear Weapons, and estimated potential for 30 more. How well would you sleep at night knowing Al Queda and North Korea think they could pull off an atomic attack on the US? Both are suicidal and lead by true believers. Elect John Kerry and find out how well you'll sleep at night. Bush isn't by any means my ideal guy, but I have to go with him for a continuation of the current policy of forward power projection. Folks its a nasty world out there filled with people that want US dead. If we choose the appeasment route we will have lost everything 220 odd years of sacrifice built for the world. I'm not ready to elect an appeaser. I'm not ready to become a member of the EU.

Time to send in the B-52's

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Pete
    How can anything I say confirm a official government policy? It is just my opinion alone. No one else is kooky enough to state what I have just stated in public, besides Ann Coulter.

I disagree. I think containing Arab-Street-Islam is doing the world a favor and may be the only thing that keeps us from becoming a France or Canada or Spain.
    You are right. What you say does not confirm official government policy.

But I think your opinion is one that is shared by WAY more people than just you and Ann Coulter, and impacts our policy.

I honestly wonder whether "Arab-Street-Islam" (as you describe it) can be contained. Communism is a political and economic ideology from 150 years ago, and while we won the war, there are still plenty of Communists (hello, China?) out there. "Arab-Street-Islam" is a religion and ideology that has been around more than 1000 years, and may have more fight in it than the Communists ever did.

Pete
    How well would you sleep at night knowing Al Queda and North Korea think they could pull off an atomic attack on the US? Both are suicidal and lead by true believers. Elect John Kerry and find out how well you'll sleep at night.
    I'll sleep fine tonight knowing that we've been around this block before.

Good night.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 18 May 2004 at 7:04 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    You are right. What you say does not confirm official government policy.

But I think your opinion is one that is shared by WAY more people than just you and Ann Coulter, and impacts our policy.

I honestly wonder whether "Arab-Street-Islam" (as you describe it) can be contained. Communism is a political and economic ideology from 150 years ago, and while we won the war, there are still plenty of Communists (hello, China?) out there. "Arab-Street-Islam" is a religion and ideology that has been around more than 1000 years, and may have more fight in it than the Communists ever did.

Then Pete I respectfully ask what you suggest should be our national policy?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cute MZ

<big snip>

MZ Not aimed at you - I'm just ranting - as is still my right.
    Hey, I don't even feel obligated to read the entire rant right this minute. Maybe later, if I feel better. (Long day for me and there is always a Price for me going out and Getting A Life for a few hours. Shaking hands with a bunch of strangers is inevitably followed by illness. Sigh.) My point was that you are obviously on a rampage. Nothing fundamentally wrong with that. I just hope folks will respect your right to blow steam out of both ears without taking it excessively personally.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Then Pete I respectfully ask what you suggest should be our national policy?
    Funny you should ask. I'm running for President as the Buckwheat Party nominee.

1. Win the war in Iraq. We broke it, we bought it. Hold free elections as soon as possible after June 30, and advocate for a federalist-type government in Iraq among the Kurd, Shia and Sunni ethnic/religious groups. And then get out. I don't care if the resulting leadership is anti-American; but I do care if Turkey and Iran feel threatened by this arrangement. They'd feel my heat if they meddle in Iraq. Unfortunately, Iraq will need years (decades?) of US assistance.

2. Finish the job in Afghanistan. Hold free elections there. And then get out. Just like Iraq, Afghanistan will need years/decades of US assistance.

3. Put everything we have into a resolution of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Stop taking sides with Sharon on everything and move toward the creation of a real Palestinian state. We do that and we take a lot of the air out of the "Arab-Street-Islam" balloon.

4. Challenge Saudi Arabia and Pakistan to support us with more than their words in the region. They've got to get rid of the old Taliban/al Queda remnants. They've got to be leaders in the Middle East. And I might dangle the possibility of removing US bases from Saudi Arabia as a carrot.

That's a start.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    4. Challenge Saudi Arabia and Pakistan to support us with more than their words in the region.
    Pakistan needs some serious support. The demographics there are extremely young and .... it is a potential powder keg because of it. They have serious infrastructure issues, serious problems with child labor (even child slaves) and ... I worry about Pakistan. We don't need to be asking for THEIR support. We need to be asking what they NEED from us.

Just my 2 cents.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Pakistan needs some serious support. The demographics there are extremely young and .... it is a potential powder keg because of it. They have serious infrastructure issues, serious problems with child labor (even child slaves) and ... I worry about Pakistan. We don't need to be asking for THEIR support. We need to be asking what they NEED from us.

Just my 2 cents.
    I wouldn't ask Pakistan for financial or military support in the War on Terrorism. What I want them to do is to be serious about rounding up Taliban/al Qaeda remnants in their country, and bring them to us.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I wouldn't ask Pakistan for financial or military support in the War on Terrorism. What I want them to do is to be serious about rounding up Taliban/al Qaeda remnants in their country, and bring them to us.
    The North burned Atlanta to the ground because it was the manufacturing center of the South, supplying the troops. If you want people to go to war for you, you have to feed them, clothe them, and so on. Pakistan is incredibly poor. And the women there are incredibly uneducated, which has a detrimental effect on the entire culture because women are mostly the ones who directly raise kids. Educated women have healthier kids and lower infant mortality rates. They are also less likely to raise nutcase extremists. You cannot get blood from a turnip. The people are selling their kids into slavery for $12 because they cannot provide for them.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Listen the **** up: AMERICA DOESNíT HAVE A DAMED THING TO APPOLIOGIZE FOR. NOT ONE GOOD GOD DAMMED THING.
    AMEN!

I agree, we should be proud of where we are from and not fearful of showing our pride. Just because we win most of the events at the olympics should not limit our pride.

It does not matter anyhow, I would be shocked if all the construction will be finished by then.

Oh, and I sleep better at night knowing that W. is the head of our county... If JK was, I would be worried that he would be on the fence for too long when it comes to defending our country.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Maybe I read this differently. When traveling abroad, we are told to downplay our American habits, to use caution to avoid becoming a potential target. It seems to me that the USOC has asked the athletes to do the same. There is a great deal of resentment toward the US. Athens is very concerned about the possibility of terrorist strikes at the games. Asking the athletes to recognize this and not to inflame anti-US sentiment by blatant displays of jingoism seems to me to be a prudent measure.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I read it the same way as Cardinal, but I can't dismiss the fact that too many of us truly ARE the 'ugly American' stereotype.

Off-topic:
    I went to the Atlanta games, and while a fun time, if you truly like the Olympics its better to see them on TV...

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    The rest of the world failed the people of Iraq as they continue to do! Great Britian excluded.
    ... I think the "world" has failed many countries where people are repressed, tortured,, etc.. by oppressive governments... not just Iraq.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I read it the same way as Cardinal, but I can't dismiss the fact that too many of us truly ARE the 'ugly American' stereotype.
    Here, here. Does anyone remember dignified sportsmanship? Brash foolish displays are the "ugly American" stereotype. To use a common phrase used by football coaches, "once you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before". American arrogance is a reality. I remember riding the tube in London and seeing American tourists playing the fool. We need to act dignified, only then will we get respect.

Oh, by the way, this war is not about ideology. It's about economics and the US addition to oil (IMO of course). How can America claim to be a melting pot, yet fight war over religious, political and economic ideologies? The ultimate in hypocrisy.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    ......."once you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before". American arrogance is a reality. I remember riding the tube in London and seeing American tourists playing the fool. We need to act dignified, only then will we get respect........
    OH YEAH, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY SOCCER FANS GETTING OUT OF HAND, WAVING THIER SHIRTS AT THIER FOES.

rrrrrrrRRRRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOO! rrrrrrrRRRRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOO!
    rrrrrrrRRRRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOO!

ITS NEVER HAPPENED THAT SOCCOR FANS GET CRAZY AND THROW BAGS OF FECIES AT OPPOSING TEAM FANS, OR RIOT AFTER A BAD LOSS OR A WIN, OR SET BUSSES ON FIRE BURINING PEOPLE ALIVE (ITALY).

OR SOCCER HOLIGANS PUSHING DOWN WALLS TO SMASH PEOPLE TO DEATH (ENGLAND)

HELL, THE US WINS A SOCCER GAME AGAINST (COLUMBIA I THINK) AND THEY ASSASSINATED THE GOALIE FOR SCREWING UP. SURE, IT ONLY US WHO ARE UGLY SPORTS FANS.

YOU KNOW WHERE YOU CAN SHOVE THE UGLY AMERICANS IN SPORTS CRAP
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Duke of Dystopia
    No need to shout Duke....and please, lets not turn this into personal attacks folks....keep it civil, please.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I actually agree with EG's detestation (my politically incorrect word) of Arab-Street-Islam, partly for the very reasons he gives. Religion of peace, please.

I totally disagree with his proscriptions, though (and even PeteRocks's more moderate position.) Let's see, among other things (somewhat rambling list) what have we done/are we doing. Note that MY list could easily be described as bipartisan:

1. We destroy the only strongly secular sate in the Middle East (as nasty as it was) with an unwarranted invasion while continuing to buddy up to the major financial supporter of fuindamentalist Islam worldwide, Saudi Arabia.

2. We really think we can "impose" "democracy and peace" on said nation, while in reality unleashing all the buttoned up nastiness a Third World Islamic society

3. We add further tax breaks to support even more consumption of fuel and continue merrily believing that we can off-shore our entire economy to benefit the few-while said fortunate few supports an imperial state that will require a stronger real economy. Who are the real traitors here?

4. We start training militant groups and providing weapons to governments in North Africa. Since we laregly created the Afghani side of Islamofascism, don't you think we would have learned our lessions? No, our all knowing, all-seeing neocon "realists" reassure us that THESE future terrorists will stay boughten.

5. We botch the planning for the postwar period so badly.

6. I agree with Peterock's point about the New Crusade. Our government is led by a dry drunk who had never left the country and believes that Hal Lindsey books are real predictions. Islamofascists are not the only scary religion in the world today. They may have ten bombs, but premillenarian people who believe that the world should end soon so Jesus can come back now control thousands of missiles and bombs

Could I sleep better at night with John Kerry? Hell yes. Name one thing that the current cabal have done right?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    So you're saying, when in Rome (Athens) do as the Romans (Greek) do. It's called stooping to their level. Should we be stooping to their level?

When you're in a public hearing and a NYMBY presenter calls City staff a bunch of liars, should the City staff stand up and say the same back to the public? Perhaps we all need to grow up.

Since when did Christianity become a pure "religion of peace" and understanding?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    No need to shout Duke....and please, lets not turn this into personal attacks folks....keep it civil, please.

chastize taken, but damn, does that make soccer fans just a set of criminals?

How many people die of rioting, or burning, or crushing, or what have you in this country do to the freakin chicken dance in the end-zone?

Its ok for soccer fans to fling fecies, maim, and murder, but do a little dance in the endzone and your over the top?

Wearing a jersey is too much?

Thats a huge WOW!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Oct 2001
    On the other hand, I don't need the Continent that gave us African slavery, multiple world wars, Naziism, Communism, etc. etc. lecturing us about political morality. That's one area where the conservatives are correct.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Oh, and I sleep better at night knowing that W. is the head of our county... If JK was, I would be worried that he would be on the fence for too long when it comes to defending our country.
    Oh michaelskis - I just don't even know what to say to this - first - it was AG, not JK who would be running things right now. Second - do you honestly believe that this whole affair has been even remotely well handled?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Have I Told You Guys....?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 23 Mar 2008, 10:58 AM
  2. Favourite Athletes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 08 Aug 2006, 10:09 AM
  3. Career Pro Athletes