Urban planning community

Poll results: What Do You Feed Your Dog?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ol' Roy

1 2.50%
  • Table Scraps

0 0%
  • Fends for themselves

0 0%
  • Gourmet

0 0%
  • Iams

6 15.00%
  • Eukanuba

1 2.50%
  • Science Diet

1 2.50%
  • Purina

6 15.00%
  • Natural/Organic

3 7.50%
  • other...

7 17.50%
  • I don't have a dog.

15 37.50%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you feed your dog?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

What do you feed your dog?

Inspired by Chet.... and the fact that I need to pick up kibble on the way home...
    My boys dine on Wellness by Mother Hubbard. I switched the guys to "human" grade food... because I didn't like the thought of the pups eating ground up lord knows what....and a pile of ash.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Mine eat Iams and look and feel wonderful. They are 7 and 8 and the vet said except for the white on the muzle they dont look much older than pups. Not fat, very shinney coat and clear eyes. Small compact stools and not much gas (thank god).

The food seems to do them well.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Old Roy his whole life. Consumer Reports said it is the best all around dog food. I took Gunner to the vet Friday. He said he couldn't believe the dog was 10 years old. Plus we occasionally slather on the remains of our psudo-Atkins lifestyle.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    We have made the switch to human grade ingerdients too. We used to have Iams in the house, but our new female puppy was not a fan of anything Iams. Our adult male will eat anything. The dogs have taken to Canidae quite well since we made the switch a few months back. I get mine at the local tack and feed store.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Mine eat Iams and look and feel wonderful. They are 7 and 8 and the vet said except for the white on the muzle they dont look much older than pups. Not fat, very shinney coat and clear eyes. Small compact stools and not much gas (thank god).

The food seems to do them well.
    I first had jordan on Purina lite...and he barked at me in a rage of hunger... I switched to Iams diet.. and he stopped being hungry all the time...but didn't loose a pound. I finally switched to Wellness Senior... and he actually will eat it "dry" and has lost weight.

Jordan also eats a lot of fresh veggies...carrots, broccolli, celery... the celery is funny.. because he will eat a whole stalk at a time...and Jordan has really nice teeth. The new guy loves his veggies too and we hope it will keep his teeth nice as well!

Oh... and the best deal around .. Mother Hubbard treats at jbpet.com I get the broken bones....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Whatever's on sale.

Oh, and salt & vinegar chips.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Sadie gets regular Pedigree food, the big yellow bag, she doesn't like eating anything else. Hatcher isn't as picky but he gets the Weight Control formula (he got a bit tubby from table scraps). They also get vegetables like carrots, apples, peas, potatoes, onions, celery, and for some reason they love watermelon and starwberries.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    My hounds get Eukanuba Weight Control. The girl is kind of round (in an adorable way) and we don't want her getting any rounder. The boy is pickier and very svelte (for a weiner), but it's easier to feed them the same thing. They're both mirror-shiny, very healthy and active. They also enjoy Smucker's all-natural peanut butter on apples and cheese. Neither of them like popcorn, chips, or anything like that--they actually spit it out and the boy, if offered a pretzel rod, will take it very politely and then bite it into symmetrical pieces, which he leaves on the rug.
    Oh, and Frosty Paws. Dog ice cream. The human stuff isn't easily digested by dogs (you don't want to be in the same room as a couple of dogs who've split a soft-serve cone) so we get them Frosty Paws as a special treat. They go nuts for it.
    They once also split a chicken carcass between them while we were out. That set us back several hundred $ at the vet. They don't get chicken any more at all, and the trash can is now completely dog-proof.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    WHY are some dogs trashcan diggers? My beagle lives to get in any trashcan, the mutt could care less. Course the beagle thinks q-tips are THE best eats!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I vary the diet of Guinness and Bailey, usually getting a different bag of dry food each time I refill the dog food container. It doesn't seem to affect their digestive system like some people think it would.

Bailey's breeder recommended Purina One for the first year, followed by a BARF (bones and raw food) diet. Usually, I just give 'em Bil-Jack (moist from the freezer and dry), Purina One, Iams, or Canidae or California Natural when I can find it. Often dry food is supplemented with ground beef and/or soup stock bones. Their poopies are small and solid, and they don't fart much.

Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Old Roy his whole life. Consumer Reports said it is the best all around dog food.
    You're very, very lucky.

http://www.gamerz.net/archives/pyrne.../msg00012.html
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D2
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...et%26rnum%3D10
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    WHY are some dogs trashcan diggers? My beagle lives to get in any trashcan, the mutt could care less. Course the beagle thinks q-tips are THE best eats!
    Jordan is 1/2 beagle... I can take out stale bread.... and put in the far reaches of the yard for the birds... as soon as he goes outdoors...his nose is up in the air.... and he knows there is food in the yard. I call him a garbage hound... he eats anything,,, but wintergreen and yellow squash. Loves Altoids..

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    Jordan is 1/2 beagle... I can take out stale bread.... and put in the far reaches of the yard for the birds... as soon as he goes outdoors...his nose is up in the air.... and he knows there is food in the yard. .
    I thought Jordan only ate 100% pure, free open source GNU/Debian dog food, endorsed by Richard Matthew Stallman himself.

(turns and runs)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I don't have a dog and that is how I voted. I do however have cats and they eat Iams Weight Control.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I thought Jordan only ate 100% pure, free open source GNU/Debian dog food, endorsed by Richard Matthew Stallman himself.

(turns and runs)
    lol!!! that's what mama wants him to eat... but he would rather eat burgers and fries McDonalds...like most boys.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Fries! That's my boy's favorite snack. He even has preferences--McDonald's gets the tail wagging harder than Steak n Shake. I've had to haul him back into the car more than one, when they open the drive-thru window. His sister could care less--which is a good thing, seeing as how she needs to lose a pound.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Mostly Nutro. My dogs are definitely scavengers, though. Walking along a city street is like a buffet for Max.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Purina One - We were feeding them a little too much, and they each gained a couple pounds over the winter - I like to think it was sympathy pregnancy weight.

They also eat lots of scrap veggies - broccoli and carrots are their favorites. and when i make boiled eggs, they get the yolks, which I detest.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I feed mine Alley Cat.

Actually when I had a dog we gave it Kibbles and bits and sometimes Dad's Chunks.

Don't however, ever feed a cat any brand of Dad's catfood, or you'll have a mess to clean up.

Snarf eats that Iams weight control crap, although it doesn't seem to be helping.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Whatever's on sale.
    dog eats it everytime
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    May 2004
    My second wife ran off with my dog....and I really miss the mut.

He was a chow. I got him as a pup the year the chargers went to the super bowl. (about 5 years before I even met the %#@$%) Don't know why she thought she could lay claim. I guess she figured "what the hell" ....she took everything else.

You know I always thought my second wife was a bad housekeeper.........Come to find out, she didn't have any trouble keeping my house either.

I miss Goliath every day. (my dog)

Bob

Registered
    Jul 2003
    1. Whatever we decide to buy at the store
    2. Whatever the boys giver her/throw on the floor
    3. Whatever she takes from the boys hands
    4. Pancakes and waffles drive her nuts; almost uncontrollable
    5. Has milk every morning and she will let me know if she has not had it

We had a shepherd runt that once got into a bottle of 500 One-A-Day vitamins (consuming the glass container in part). Whenever she went to the door, we made a bee-line to let her out because she had some of the grossest, wettest poops you ever saw in your life.

We called her VitaDog after that episode.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Glasshouse
    You know I always thought my second wife was a bad housekeeper.........Come to find out, she didn't have any trouble keeping my house either.
    He he, good one

This thread has way TMI about doggy poops!

Registered
    Feb 2003

what do I feed my dog?.......

....kittens. :d:

really, I dont have a dog or any pet. Shoot, I cant even keep a plant alive. My wife just killed the mail order lady bugs she ordered for her class....they lived though the mail and then died in our house over the weekend when we went out of town. We are like the grim reapers.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mine only EVER get Iams, except the old man does occassionally find scraps in the garbage. I foot pedal can has minimized that, but as a rescue dog, once he gets his jaws on a scrap, you dare not take them away. Its the only time he ever gets mean, and its best just to let him have it unless you are wearing Kevlar [TM]

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 31 Aug 2013, 1:52 PM
  2. Replies: 101
    Last post: 18 May 2011, 3:25 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Jun 2007, 9:02 AM