Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Got an Internship!

Registered
    Oct 2003

Got an Internship!

Unpaid, of course, but Im glad I got it anyway. My GPA is not great and I really want to go to grad school for planning and focus on transportation. I got this internship with the City of Austin.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/planning

I will be working with the Long Range Transportation Planning department and the Bike&Pedestrian department at the same time. I will start my internship by helping work on Austin's new Pedestrian Masterplan. I will be quality checking a sidewalk layer produced by a company in Colorado with aerials on some Unix-based GIS system. After that I might be doing some mapping of bike lanes around the city. (The dept. is trying to get some GPS units with ArcPad on them...ESRI sent one that is complementary, but denied a grant). After that, who knows. They need alot of help and have mentioned about 10 things I might work on with them. The only real problem is that their office is downtown and they have no parking. Buses near my apt. do not go by the office, so I have to drive to my church and catch a bus which looks kinda like this:

Anyway, I will post here periodically about things Im sure. Im getting really excited!

Adam

Registered
    Mar 2002

Congrats

Congrats on the internship. I have long held internships are the single best thing for new planners or folks thinking about being planners, you get your hands dirty and find out what planning is like outside the ivory tower.

Good luck and keep us up to date.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congrats on the Internship.

When I was in grad school my Internship Exprience was great and
    the pay off comes when you are applying / interviewing for a job.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Internships rock! Congratulations!

[geek mode]
    If you pull the ol' Vulcan mind meld on your supervisors, you may be able to land a director's position somewhere without having to do that graduate degree after all.
    [/geek mode]
    Last edited by SGB; 27 May 2004 at 10:19 AM.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had three different interships during University and they were much better at teaching me planning than my degree. I was really lucky to have great supervisors that challenged me and mentored me. Seize the opportunity and get all you can out of it!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    good luck with the internship
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congrats. This will be a benefit to your career.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Congrats on the internship. My two internships were very important to getting my planning career started. I was lucky that mine were both paid internships.

As others have already written, internships are exceptionally valuable experience. Make the most of it. And don't hesitate to point out your incredible devotion to the planning profession by accepting an unpaid position. Just make sure future employers don't get any ideas . . . Best wishes!
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2004

cheap labor rocks!

I worked 1 1/2 years as a transportation planner, never left the office, and never did much more than typing emails and copying numbers from one map to another. I quit, and am now an intern with a non-profit that works with community groups to buy land for state parks and trails. I am often the voice of the organization and am doing a super cool project to get a bike trail connecting two cities along the Mississippi.

Who knew that a "demotion" of job titles would exponentially increase my responsibility! Unfortunately (of course), it's not paid, but i'll just be an even poorer student in the fall!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Wow, thanks guys! I start next wednesday, Ill let yall know how my first day goes.

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Congrats on the Internship.

When I was in grad school my Internship Exprience was great and
    the pay off comes when you are applying / interviewing for a job.
    Yeah, so I just woke up and I thought you said "When I was in grad school my Internet Explorer was great..."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The next internship
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jul 2011, 12:39 PM
  2. Internship
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 4:34 PM
  3. Job+internship
    Student Commons