Urban planning community

Poll results: Plan Maker or plan Implementer?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maker

4 14.81%
  • Implementer

3 11.11%
  • Both

17 62.96%
  • Other

3 11.11%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Plan Maker or plan Implementer?

Registered
    Feb 2003

Plan Maker or plan Implementer?

Please elaborate on whichever answer you provide. I would like to get a poll of the Cyburbia Nation and how many are Maker’s, Implementer’s, both, other, etc... I know we have done similar “what do you do at work” threads, but this is a more simplistic percentage poll.

Of course every coin has two sides and neither one is better than the other. And in this case, you cant have one without the other. However, I am curious as to which side most here are, as well as, which side they prefer should you care to share.

I know ya’ll don’t need definitions, but for clarification of THIS poll, private, public, or academic (except student) planners can fit into any category. Examples include; private planners are Implementer’s when implementing the local code into submittals and are Maker’s when creating a neighborhood vision, etc... Public planners are Implementer’s when they perform development review and Maker’s when creating a COMP or Selected Area Plan, etc... A professor may click any category that applies, but students, please, only select Other, unless you are also currently employed as a planner. Is this too complicated? :-S

Since this is a percentage poll, please don’t chime in as any category than Other if you in a position that really is Other. Oh, and salud.
    Last edited by H; 18 May 2004 at 7:27 PM.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I selected both. As a City Administrator with no planning staff, I need to do both.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Both. I am one of the management team that conducts the city's comprehensive and neighborhood planning. As the economic developer, I implement the plan. It is a tool I use to attract development, and at times I do the development myself. All this new development creates a need to conduct new planning....
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    As a current planner, I mostly implement. I administer zoning code and am project manager for variation, special uses, etc.

Of course every coin has two sides and neither one is better than the other. And in this case, you cant have one without the other.
    I'll have to disagree with you on this one. You can make plans all day long, but that doesn't mean they are always implemented. One action does not require the other action.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    I'll have to disagree with you on this one. You can make plans all day long, but that doesn't mean they are always implemented.
    Very true.

Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    One action does not require the other action.
    but if no one made plans there would be nothing to implement and if no one implemented there would be no reason to make plans...so hows about, both sides complement the other.

...at least I feel this way since I seem to work in both areas.

Registered
    May 2003
    In a 2.5 person department, we make the plans and we implement the plans. I do both making and implementing for planning and economic development. My planner is primarily an implementer on the planning side. My economic development person is both a maker and implementer.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Both. My departments are strategy (plan maker) focussed but I also have asset management which is an implementer. I temporarily have development assessment and compliance which is an implementer (but I am looking forward to the hand back).

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm an 'Other' I research planning issues for an infrastructure consultancy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Both. Up until 6 months ago I worked in local gov. We had to do both.

Now, it depends on my clients. Some I plan, some I plan and implement, some I just implement. Its an interesting change, and I really enjoy it.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I also do both. But I would estimate that about 80% of my work is implementation. In my previous job, 100% was implementation.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Both. In my current position in trails planning, I am much more the "maker" than in previous positions in current planning.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm a maker.

I am a consultant and work for communities across the state. My projects range from Housing Market studies for private developers, to downtown revitilization plans and Comp./Land Use plans.

I write Recreation plans and grants as well. Overall, I'm a maker, it is very seldom I actually implement.

I am however considering a job change, if the right thing comes along back into the public sector.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm more of a "reviewer" unfortunately.

Also a "Both". We are +/-15 sq. miles inside the corporate limits and another 11 extra-territorial and a pop of about 40k. Three planning staff plus an AA.

I've done 5-yr and 1-yr consolidated planning for CDBG; seven neighborhood plans; a sidewalk master plan; and assorted "issue plans".

As former cd planner, I've implemented the above (right down to photocopying bid books for public facilities projects).

Now that I am devoted almost exclusively to planning, I am implementing the comp plan and small area plans we have completed on top of deelopment review and a host of other responsibilities.

(Nice poll topic, H. Gives us a glimpse of where we all are right now.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I used to do more implementing but now I'm just a plan maker, at least for the time being (it depends on what the client wants). I guess that makes me both?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Depends on our client base. Right now it is both, but ususally I am more of an implementer. Some clients want you to be a circumventer, but they just don't get it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Since I’m pulling double duty in two different divisions here I am most definitely both a planner and implimenter. Part of my time is spent doing Block Grant management and that is entirely implimentary in nature (and often very boring). My other role with within the department is that of a neighborhood planner. In that capacity I do a lot of community group meetings and plan making. This is something I’d like to be doing full time…if we ever get our budget fixed.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Both - Working on ordinance updates, development review, project mamagement, growth management ordinance administration, as well as updating the Master Plan and working on planning projects with various boards and commissions.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Maker for me

I work for a planning & engineering consultancy - my job is to make great plans, convince cities, developers and regional districts to implement them, then get the engineers the detail work of getting it into the ground. I also believe it is my role to be constructively critical - I'm the person in the office who asks "Why?" whenever one of the engineers goes off to lay down a road. It's fun, it keeps life interesting, and I have to make sure I stay up to date with what's going on in the planning world.

Registered
    Sep 1998

Plan maker and implementer

Me, I work for a provincial planning agency. In my province, that means I write new plans for municipalities and planning districts (groups of municipalities) and once theyt are adopted, I also write development plan/zoning amendments to implement them over time.

One thing that makes my job kind of interesting is that I'm planning in areas where there previously existed no planning of any kind. True, this makes the process a challenging one (educating local Councils), but also a rewarding exercise because not many folks I know get the chance to "plan" from scratch!

In earlier jobs I've held, I worked exclusively either as an implementer or plan maker. Having had now had the opportunity to work in these areas, I must say that I most enjoy doing both at the same time!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Dec 2011, 2:59 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 26 Feb 2010, 10:59 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 10:02 AM
  4. What makes a plan a "good plan?"
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 Jun 2009, 6:14 PM