Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where are your "trixies" and "chads?"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Where are your "trixies" and "chads?"

Chicago has Lincoln Park, and the infamous "trixies" -- athletic, attractive twentysomethings, the majority former fraternity and sorority members, living a Peter Pan lifestyle with endless friends, endless parties, easy jobs at consulting or marketing firms, and a Volkswagen Jetta.

San Francisco has the Marina District, with the "Marina chicks" and "Marina guys." Twentysomething, attractive, preppy, former greek, Jetta owner -- same thing as Lincoln Park.

Denver's Washington Park West neighborhood is filling up with a nameless socioeconomic group -- twentysomething professionals, most working in marketing or consulting, most attractive and athletic, most driving Japanese SUVs or ... Volkswagen Jettas.

So, where are the trixies, chads, and Marina chicks in your neck of the woods? I'm not talking about rich folks in general, or yuppies as a whole -- I mean that certain, twentysomething, perky, attractive group of ladder climbers and trend followers.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think I just saw one going out to milk a holstien this morning. No, wait, that wasn't a Jetta it was a Ford F250. Well, I guess we just don't have 'em out here in the country.

I can't really say I've seen them in Madison, either. Oh, sure, there are a few, but not in the numbers and as concentrated as in Chicago.

How about Milwaukee? I don't know it well enough to say. bturk?

Milwaukee has its "East Siders," which consists of Univeristy of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Students, artsy people, and young professionals (located on the east side of Milwaukee) They (myself included) are refered to negativly by non-east siders in comments like "Oh, you're one of those trendy eastsiders." A lot of non-eastsiders mock us, but they all come to our bars, stores, and restaurants every weekend.

The other definable Milwaukee group is the "Southsiders" (we aren't too creative with our nicknames). They are usually classified by eastsiders as anyone who lives south of Interstate-94. They have mulletts, drive camaros, and wear unflattering clothing at Summerfest.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    They pass through town on the highway on the way to the ski slopes...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    jtfortin wrote:
    Milwaukee has its "East Siders," which consists of Univeristy of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Students, artsy people, and young professionals (located on the east side of Milwaukee) They (myself included) are refered to negativly by non-east siders in comments like "Oh, you're one of those trendy eastsiders." A lot of non-eastsiders mock us, but they all come to our bars, stores, and restaurants every weekend.

The other definable Milwaukee group is the "Southsiders" (we aren't too creative with our nicknames). They are usually classified by eastsiders as anyone who lives south of Interstate-94. They have mulletts, drive camaros, and wear unflattering clothing at Summerfest.
    *ahem* as a southside Newbie, I plan to alter that stereotype a bit.

Milwaukee also has the Third Ward Arts District, with lotsa gallery nights, pubs on the riverwalk, etc.

Water Street between I-794 and the Park East Freeway spur is also a "trixie and chad" area.

I do think that the high rents and cost of housing on the East Side is forcing people out. I could never afford a house on the East Side of Milwaukee, so eventually I will probabaly move away. Maybe to the South Side

As you mentioned before, you ARE getting an Oakland Gyros, which has been an eastside icon for years.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2002
    Thank God St. Louis hasn't been bitten by the yuppie bug (of course we do have our neighborhoods). The day Jettas outnumber our '70s model Caddies is the day I move out of town. I'll take the authentic soul of St. Lou over that trendy crap any day.
    ST. LOUIS: The City is Back. Back the City.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    And your 'trixie's' and 'chads' could be part of the homosexual creative class that brings vibrancy to urban neighborhoods.

The young vigorous same sex crowd who all drive jetta's...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2002
    St. Louis has a very vibrant gay community with some of the most progressive gay rights laws in the country (and the 5th-largest PrideFest in the USA). Our homosexual population can be credited with stabilizing and reinvigorating many city neighborhoods. I just thank god our gay community doesn't typify the "yuppie" stereotype that characterizes places like Lincoln Park in Chicago. St. Louis has always been a real city with real people-- a nice balance of grit and beauty. That's why I love it!
    ST. LOUIS: The City is Back. Back the City.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    In the DC metro area Id say Georgetown is the area where the aged greeks, fluffy heads etc live/go. I will admit I was in a sorority in college, damn proud of it, but I dont still at almost 30, act like Im still at a frat party.

As far as all driving the same cars...seems everyone in DC has BMWs or such. But then there is a growing group of folks my age that go with out cars at all. *if you have ever tried to park in G-town you know why*

Plannergirl
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    PlannerGirl, ever walk by Carpool in Ballston on a Friday night? Or the Clarendon Ballroom? For a short while it was XandO's at Courthouse. Those are Arlington folks, not Georgetownies, and 90% of them work (or worked!) at tech jobs in NoVA. Every town has 'em, and you don't have to cross the Potomac to find 'em.

Your former Columbia Piker pal,

El Feo

Registered
    Jan 2002

Ohio City

Cleveland has a neighborhood named Ohio City. It's a revamped area of the city that has become artsy. Many of the old buildings have become art studios or extremely high-priced restaurants.

The Warehouse District follows a similar format. All of the hipsters who wear all black and have the small, black-wire glasses hang out there. I was thinking about going down there to one of the restaurants/bars just for a change of pace, but most of the places are very exclusionary, and are created exclusively for a particular subculture.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Ummm

I was in Chicago last weekend, and there's a place on the north side called Boystown where all of the Trixies have adams apples. Hee Hee!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 May 2008, 11:55 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM