Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Perfect

Registered
    Feb 2000

Perfect

A while back we had a "baseball is a religion" discussion. Last night I went down to the club and turned the television to the Braves - D-backs game. It was the third inning and Randy was on the mound. After the top half of the third, I could see it in his eyes. I told the gal behind the bar that something special was going to happen. By the 7th inning, the Braves batters had fear and confusion in their eyes.

There have only been 16 perfect games ever thrown. They started keeping records in 1880. Oddly enough, in this era of the batter, 7 of the 16 have been thrown in the last 20 years.

I had the great misfortune of a planning commission meeting that should have ended by 8:45 but went on unterminably to 10:30. (Hello, Mr. Politics! Why, we haven't seen you at a PC meeting in some time, why don't you come set a spell with us ) Mrs. G had comandeered the tv for some Geena Davis flick when I got home. At least I got to catch up on it on ESPN after the game.

It is incredible that Randy Johnson, at age 40, managed to keep from a ball three count just once -- and that was the second inning! The Perfect Game is so difficult it is almost unfathomable.

Let me guess, though, that the Braves' announcers were talking about the no-no by the fifth inning. (For those not familiar with our National Pastime, it is impolitic to speak of a no hitter or {perhaps especially} a perfect game while it is unfolding -- even if it is the opposing team because it is supposed to jinx the pitcher. The Braves' announcers are exceeded in their boosterism only by those of the Cubs, IMO.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    There have only been 16 perfect games ever thrown. They started keeping records in 1880. Oddly enough, in this era of the batter, 7 of the 16 have been thrown in the last 20 years.
    There used to be way more emphasis on making contact years ago. Nowadays, players are "back-legging" it and swinging for power every time up. Which makes it a little easier for power pitchers whose stuff is on.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I guess it's truly a great athletic acheivement for a pitcher to throw a no-hitter. I didn't see the game in question, but personally I don't often find pitching battles that interesting to watch. I mean they're intersting in the sense that they make for interesting statistics later but to sit and watch a game with nothing but ball, ball, strike, foul tip, foul tip, strike........just doesn't get me going. I suspect this might be part of the reason pro soccer hasn't taken hold in the States - we Americans enjoy offense too much to get carried away with any game that has a final score of 1-0.
    Let the flames begin. :-P
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Let me guess, though, that the Braves' announcers were talking about the no-no by the fifth inning. (For those not familiar with our National Pastime, it is impolitic to speak of a no hitter or {perhaps especially} a perfect game while it is unfolding -- even if it is the opposing team because it is supposed to jinx the pitcher. The Braves' announcers are exceeded in their boosterism only by those of the Cubs, IMO.)
    It's funny you should mention this. Skip Carey started talking about a no no towards the end of the 6th. My parents were at Nolan Ryan's last no hitter in 1991. Dad said that my mom was blissfully enjoying the game completely oblivious until the 8th when she said, "OH, he's doing pretty well". My dad said that everyone around them just looked at her and my dad politely told her to hush up, so as not to jinx it. I remember hearing a recording of Don Larsen (Yankee who pitched the only perfect game in World Series history in 1956) talking about feeling like the lonelist person on the planet at the time. His team mates didn't speak or look at him or acknowledge his existence in anyway for the last 2 innings. It must be like being a ghost.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    We were out last evening and missed it! I try to catch most of the D-Backs games, but sad I missed this one. It is great to see Randy get a win (as he said in post game interviews) since he hasn't got much run support.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    It seems like regular game are just so freaking boring.... I watched the cubbies in the payoffs last year, and saw the "Bartman Ball" as it happened. But other than that, I find most of the baseball games boring as can be. Hockey on the other hand...
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Perfect Name
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 13 Jun 2013, 1:31 PM
  2. Perfect suburbs?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 31 Oct 2011, 8:30 AM
  3. The perfect gift