Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Good & The Bad: Toledo, Ohio

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Toledo's city proper population greater than Cincinatti's (sp?)?
    I think, but didn't verify with census 2000 reports, that Cinci is slightly bigger. The big difference is the metro market comparison.

Cincy's metro is probably about 1,500,000 to 2,000,000. Toledo's metro market is only about 600,000.

Toledo has very few suburbs and those very few are not very big.

Glass Not Queen Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    Interesting article in The (Toledo) Blade a few days ago. It was about the townships north of Toledo, in Michigan. Bedford Township now has something like thirty (30) new subdivisions. It is Toledo's largest suburb in population, with about 32,000 folks.

The adjacent-to-the-east township, Erie, remains very slow growth because of no sewers, city water, zoning requirements, etc.

I was wandering around on a State of Michigan Education website and noticed that Bedford High School is one (1) of the largest schools in Michigan.

Back in the early 1960's my parents almost bought a house in Bedford Township, in a typical-for-that-time subdivision called Green Hills. Instead, they purchased a home in the Point Place / Shoreland area of Toledo.....a move which led to the eventual de-arrangement of this Bear's good senses.

But that's another story.

Bear In The Riviera
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    as a kid i had a t-shirt that read "someone in Toledo loves me."

my uncle transferred there for work and was there about 2 years or so. I don't remember much of going to visit him - just driving along the lake from the airport for what seemed like forever (i think we might've flown to Clevo or Detroit).
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Godfathers Pizza. Had a couple of stores in Toledo, but they moved out by 1990. In my travels I have seen them in such places as Cedar City, Utah and Savannah, Georgia.

Godfathers was founded and headquartered in Omaha. Can't wait to get home next Tuesday.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    May 2003
    Toledo is in the news again.....

A few weeks ago, seven (7) children died in an apartment fire in Toledo. On Wednesday, 11-17-04, the mother of six (6) of the victims was indicted on felony child endangerment and involuntary manslaughter. She was not home at the time of the fire.....but she was at an adjacent apartment, something like 80-feet away.

And.....

Toledo's budget was just released and it is showing a shortfall of something like $18 million. Massive layoffs are being projected, including fire and police services.

Maybe it's just a coincidence.....but almost every week I read about a Toledo company that is closing or moving. And quite often the companies are not leaving the metro area.....they are moving to suburbs. Chances are that their employees are already living in the suburbs so there goes the tax revenues.

Bear Reading The Blade
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Toledo's budget was just released and it is showing a shortfall of something like $18 million. Massive layoffs are being projected, including fire and police services.

Maybe it's just a coincidence.....but almost every week I read about a Toledo company that is closing or moving. And quite often the companies are not leaving the metro area.....they are moving to suburbs. Chances are that their employees are already living in the suburbs so there goes the tax revenues.

Bear Reading The Blade
    Welcome to my world Bear, except now the county is in trouble.

Rumpy reading the Iraqi Times, I mean Buffalo snooze
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Toledo is in the news again.....

A few weeks ago, seven (7) children died in an apartment fire in Toledo. On Wednesday, 11-17-04, the mother of six (6) of the victims was indicted on felony child endangerment and involuntary manslaughter. She was not home at the time of the fire.....but she was at an adjacent apartment, something like 80-feet away.

And.....

Bear Reading The Blade
    And the bad news doesn't stop there. A recent survey put Toledo at #195 out of 200 in economic performance. Even Gary and Youngstown have moved ahead.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...SS06/411180433

Registered
    May 2003

The Suburbs Of Toledo

Toledo has only a few suburbs and none of those are very large in population. This seems a bit unusual for a metropolitan area that has not annexed a whole county.

Maumee is a suburb to the south of Toledo. Maumee has an interesting downtown area, with some older buildings (including Dale's Bar). The downtown area is on a hill, just up from the bridge that crosses the Maumee River, which is the largest river feeding the Great Lakes. Maumee has some major automobile parts factories and a huge office park complex (with some light manufacturing) that has a habit of luring Toledo's businesses out of T-Town and into Maumee.
    Maumee also has a huge UPS Distribution Center, located adjacent to the Ohio Turnpike exit.

Oregon is a suburb to the east of Toledo. It is a large geographical city, with a significant presence right on Lake Erie. Oregon has a large number of industrial facilities, including a BMF oil refinery and huge coal-loading docks for lake boats. Oregon also has a large number of family farms, primarily growing tomatoes. This Bear worked on a tomato farm in Oregon back in 1966. (I was dating the farmer's daughter.....but that's another story.)

Sylvania is a suburb to the northwest of Toledo. Sylvania and Sylvania Township are somewhat "ritzier" suburbs of Toledo. Many new developments are here with huge houses and the smell of money. There is some manufacturing in this area, although office parks dominate. One (1) of the metros worst sprawl areas is in Sylvania Township, west of the outerbelt expressway.

Perrysburg is a suburb south and west of Toledo, across the Maumee River from Maumee. Perrysburg Township and Perrysburg are both among the fastest-growing areas of the metro and numerous retail strips have proliferated. The city of Perrysburg has a lot of interesting older homes (it is a very old community). Some manufacturing is in this area, especially in the township. The junction of
    I-75 and I-80/I-90 is in Perrysburg and residents latched on to the nickname "Crossroads Of America". (Take that, Hoosiers!) There is also a quite impressive Islamic Temple that sits adjacent to I-75.....and many of you have probably noticed it when travelling that route.

Northwood is a suburb to the east and south of Toledo. It has a rather strange geographical shape.....long and skinny. It is home to numerous industries.

Rossford is a small suburb just across the Maumee River from the area of Toledo just south of downtown Toledo. At one (1) time it was the home of the largest plate glass factory in the world.....but a changing world economy and industrial consolidation changed all of that. Rossford has a very large number of Polish descendants living in the central portion of town.

Bedford Township, Michigan, is located north of Toledo, and includes the villages of Temperance and Lambertville. As mentioned in other posts and threads, this area is a planner's nightmare......two-lane roads clogged with traffic, coming and going from thousands of newer homes in newer subdivsions. Sprawl, USA.

Monclova Township, Waterville, Whitehouse......these communities are located just southwest of Maumee. Waterville is on the river, floods all the time, and is one (1) of the oldest communities in this area. Lots of newer subdivisions ring this community. Just down the road is Whitehouse, another older town that is now surrounded by thousands of new homes. It is also adjacent to the beautiful Maumee State Forest and the wonderful metropark, Oak Openings. The township land around these communities is Monclova Township.

Bedford Township is about 32,000 people. The Sylvania area, Oregon, Maumee, and the Perrysburg area are each around 15,000. Northwood might be 7000.
    Rossford might be 5000. My guess is that all the new construction in Monclova, Waterville, and Whitehouse have that area in the 15,000 range.

That's about it for Toledo's suburbs. Which goes a long way in explaining why the city of Toledo is ranked a whole lot higher in population stats than the metro Toledo area. (Dayton is a lot smaller than Toledo but their metro is about
    1,000,000. Toledo's metro is about 600,000.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    You know, Bear, there's this college football game taking place in Columbus tomorrow

I've always seen the Toledo area as being possibly the most evenly split area between Michigan and Ohio State fans. I'm originally from Detroit, which is pretty much U-M and MSU territory for big-time college sports fans. South of Toledo, Ohio State seems to become much more dominant. Many U-M students and football players come from the Toledo area (and all of northern Ohio), and I'm sure THE Ohio State University has plenty of alums in the area too.

Is Toledo the place where another kind of blue (Michigan) and red (Ohio State) battle takes place each year?

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    You know, Bear, there's this college football game taking place in Columbus tomorrow

I've always seen the Toledo area as being possibly the most evenly split area between Michigan and Ohio State fans. I'm originally from Detroit, which is pretty much U-M and MSU territory for big-time college sports fans. South of Toledo, Ohio State seems to become much more dominant. Many U-M students and football players come from the Toledo area (and all of northern Ohio), and I'm sure THE Ohio State University has plenty of alums in the area too.

Is Toledo the place where another kind of blue (Michigan) and red (Ohio State) battle takes place each year?
    Toledo is the real battleground for the Wolverine - Buckeye clash. There are even retail stores in town (Buckeye/Wolverine Shop) that just sell items from those two (2) schools and they have a big line painted down the center of their stores.

My wife (Katie) is a big fan of the Buckeyes, as is my step-son. Of course, this Bear is a Wolverine fan, as is my son and my oldest granddaughter. We should paint a line down the center of our living room, heh?

In about thirty (30) minutes (today is Saturday) I will leave for Dale's Bar, in the Toledo suburb of Maumee. Dale's is owned by an OSU graduate (Grax Anderson) and the place will be filled with about one-hundred (100) Buckeye fans and about five (5) Michigan fans. That's the way we like it!

Local television stations usually are at Dale's Bar, filming and interviewing. They interviewed me a couple years ago but it wasn't put on the tube. I probably growled my famous "Wolverine Growl" one (1) too many times.

The rivalry betweent he states actually spills into everyday conversations, all year long. Many Ohio residents in the Toledo area don't understand why we would be fans of Michigan. Of course, my Cyburbian headgear comes on when I respond with comments such as, "NW Ohio has always been geographically, economically, and somewhat politically more in-tune with the state of Michigan. This part of Ohio was actually originally part of Michigan. Toledo is ignored by the state of Ohio, with their coddling of Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland."

Off to the game! Go Blue!

Bear With The Wolverine Shirt With Growling Teeth
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Many Ohio residents in the Toledo area don't understand why we would be fans of Michigan. Of course, my Cyburbian headgear comes on when I respond with comments such as, "NW Ohio has always been geographically, economically, and somewhat politically more in-tune with the state of Michigan. This part of Ohio was actually originally part of Michigan. Toledo is ignored by the state of Ohio, with their coddling of Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland."
    This sums it all up right here. As far as those fatcat Columbus politicians are concerned, Toledo is part of Michigan. If they even think about Toledo at all.

As I stated in an earlier post, I think Toledo would have been a much more prosperous city, politically, economically, strategically, had it been part of Michigan.

Registered
    May 2003
    In The (Toledo) Blade on Sunday, 11-21-04, a local columnist, Russ Lemmons, says that the only way Toledo can improve it's economic lot is to get to work building an arena. Over the last few years, locals have been discussing a new arena, to replace the aging and fugly Sports Arena.

Some folks think it should be along the river, on the east side, in a district that has been on the draw-boards for a number of years called The Marina District. The present Sports Arena is in that area.

Others argue that the arena should be on the downtown side of the river, adjacent to the new Fifth Third Field baseball stadium that has been a huge success.

And then the argument spills into how it should be paid for.

Sports and multi-use facilities have been built all over this land of ours. What is Cyburbia's take on public dollars being involved?

Bear Watching The Hornets
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    In The (Toledo) Blade on Sunday, 11-21-04, a local columnist, Russ Lemmons, says that the only way Toledo can improve it's economic lot is to get to work building an arena. Over the last few years, locals have been discussing a new arena, to replace the aging and fugly Sports Arena.

Some folks think it should be along the river, on the east side, in a district that has been on the draw-boards for a number of years called The Marina District. The present Sports Arena is in that area.

Others argue that the arena should be on the downtown side of the river, adjacent to the new Fifth Third Field baseball stadium that has been a huge success.

And then the argument spills into how it should be paid for.

Sports and multi-use facilities have been built all over this land of ours. What is Cyburbia's take on public dollars being involved?

Bear Watching The Hornets
    As a vocal atheist when it comes to America's true religion (professional sports) I would be extremely skeptical that a new arena would significantly impact Toledo's economy in any real way. Many objective studies debunk the myth that sports stadia are economic solutions in any real sense. Of course, there may be exceptions, the Denver stadium helped LoDo. Still, aren't Toledo's probelms more deeply rooted? Isn't another damn arena just the 2000's "Portside" (albeit, it will be at least somewhat more useful to the residents than teddy bear shoppes!)

Registered
    May 2003

The Port Of Toledo

Toledo used to be the 9th largest port in the United States and the largest port on the Great Lakes (in terms of tonnage). The reason for this high ranking was the huge coal-loading facilities located at the mouth of the Maumee River AND the bevy of huge grain elevators located along the river.

The coal, from southern Ohio and West Viriginia, shipped out of Toledo is bound for electrical generating plants around the Great Lakes. Less coal is shipped now because of environmental considerations that require coal-fired plants to use cleaner coal.....and that coal comes by rail to those plants from places like Wyoming and Montana.

In the last twenty (20) years, at least one (1) major grain elevator along the river has ceased operations.

The general cargo portion of the port used to be the only Foriegn Trade Zone on the Great Lakes......but that changed quite a few years ago. General cargo in and out of Toledo tends to be primarily ocean freight.

The old Toledo Shipyards are being retrofitted. They will be building and refurbishing the big lake boats, bringing a number of higher-paying jobs back to the Toledo economy.

American Shipbuilding used to have a plant in Toledo, owned by George Steinbrenner (of the dreaded NY Yankees). It closed quite a few years ago.

Finally.....probably the most significant import to the Great Lakes (and the Port of Toledo) via the St. Lawerence Seaway has been the zebra mussell. This pesky little snail now litters all of the previously sandy beaches of Lake Erie. But boy did it clean up the water. Wow.

Bear @ The Outer Harbor Light
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    the zebra mussell. This pesky little snail now litters all of the previously sandy beaches of Lake Erie. But boy did it clean up the water. Wow.

Bear @ The Outer Harbor Light
    I've heard of this little beasty. Is it one of the major factors in Lake clean-up? Wow.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    I was up in Toeldo about 10 or 11 years ago just to check out the place, drive around town. Stayed overnight at a hotel donwtown next to that Seagate convention center.

Toledo seemed kind of bland to me compared to Dayton (which is pretty bland to begin with), in some ways Toledo is a bit like Akron.

I did think it was neat that a latino barrio was developing on Broadway, south of downtown, and that there was still an old Polish neighborhood on Lagrange Avenue.

But there was no entertainment or live music venues in town like one finds in Daytons Oregon district, or like Canal Street Tavern or Gillys....at least none I could find out about...

As for a new stadium, it might be a good idea as a simple urban amenity for local folks. The new minor league stadium in Akron is a good addition to their downtown, and the one in Dayton is quite popular too..both of these follow the "Camden Yards" model of inserting the stadium into the urban streetscape or context, not a big mega-arena surrounded by parking, like those major league stadiums

The Akron and Dayton stadiums are just ways of bringing people downtown in hopes they might stay and spend some $$$ at a restraunt or bar after the game. They won't do any more than that. They should be looked at like a park or a zoo, a recreational amentity for the locals, not as some economic developement engine.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    (Dayton is a lot smaller than Toledo but their metro is about
    1,000,000. Toledo's metro is about 600,000.)

The Dayton MSA stats are somewhat misleading as they include Springfield and the surrounding Clark County. Springfield is a small industrial city of 70,000 or so (not sure how big Clark County is), and is actually fairly seperate from Dayton. I guess there is overlapping commuting hence the inclusion of both in one MSA.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I've heard of this little beasty. Is it one of the major factors in Lake clean-up? Wow.
    Those little buggers have a VEROCIOUS appetite for alga and plankton, with major worries that they are eating the base food that all of the other more 'native' North American freshwater species depend on. It is true, that appetite is responsible for a major upturn in water clarity.

The shells of the dead ones (they are about the size of thumbnails) make a delicate 'tinkling' sound, much like small glass dishes, when walked on and kicked around on beaches.

Highly prolific and native to southern Europe, it is believed that they arrived in the Great Lakes in the 1980s in the ballast water of a European freighter. MANY other 'invasive' European species are belived to have arrived here the same way and ships are now required to dump and replace their ballast water before entering the Saint Lawrence River.

Mike

Registered
    May 2003

Toledo Area Metroparks

The metro parks in the Toledo area are actually quite nice. Paid for with "our tax dollars at use" (if you live in Lucas County), these attractive parks are no-fee preserves, reservations, parks, etc.

The park I consider the "jewel" is Oak Openings Preserve. It is a huge park.....so big in fact that a 17-mile hiking trail virtually circles the park. It has small ponds for kids to fish in, plenty of nature trails, and a small lake (with some bass, etc. just swimming around waiting for a hook). The park includes "moving" sand dunes and a herd of deer that has been estimated at over one hundred (100). If you look hard enough you will also see signs of the badgers that inhabit this park.

Pearson Park is a smaller facility, located in the eastern suburb of Oregon. It is a popular place for softball, soccer, ice skating, kid's fishing, and running. Years ago they used to allow cars to park there at night for a little "snuggly action". This Bear, a 1959 Desoto, a young lady named Jennifer......but that's another story.

Wildwood Preserve is located right in west Toledo, on the site of an estate that was built by an auto parts magnate (from Champion Spark Plug). The original mansion is preserved, open for tours, and dresses for the holidays in it's Christmas best. This park is very popular because of its' location and the many hiking (and running) trails that go through the Ottawa River lowlands that are down the hill from the mansion. This park also has quite a few deer.

Swan Creek Preserve is located in south Toledo. Nice big park with lots of hiking trails. Very popular for long-distance runners.

In southwestern suburban Waterville is Farnswork Metropark. This park is located along the Maumee River. A hiking trail.....along an old canal boat towpath.....will get you from Farnsworth to Providence Metropark.....about ten (10) miles southwest. During the hike (or run) you will follow the old canal, which is adjacent to the river and was used because of the river's rapids. About half way between Farnsworth and Providence is Bend View Park.....accessible only via the towpath trail. Good views of the winding Maumee River here.

Providence Metropark, located across the river from Grand Rapids, OH.....a tourist type of town.....has a restored canalboat. Folks in period costumes will take you down a portion of the canal in the same manner they did it more than a century ago.

There are some other metroparks not mentioned here. The entire system is well-manicured where it needs to be, well-patrolled where it has to be, and kept in a wooded virgin state in many places, as it used to be.

If you are ever in the Toledo area, check them out. You could also do a GOOGLE and check out their website.

Bear On The Orange Trail Pretending He's Doctor Zhivago Going Thru The Woods
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    More of the same news.....

Toledo is about to lose its' best independent bookstore, Thackeray's, located in the Westgate Shopping Center. Thackeray's had been around for about twenty-five (25) years and was a great place to look for, browse, sit and read, etc.

Like many independents stores, they saw their sales (and bottom line) get smaller every year. The culprits....we all know them.....big boxes such as Borders and the internet.

Thackeray's was actually using Border's logistics arm to stock their shelves. But Borders (an Ann Arbor, MI, based company) told them that they HAD to open Toledo's first Border's store, in an expanding regional (giant) mall in west Toledo.

I was a frequent customer of Thackeray's and I will miss it. I tried the Barnes and Nobel giant store (across from that same giant mall) and felt lost and unsatisfied.
    The Toledo area has only one (1) independent bookstore left.

Bear In The Map Aisle
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    Downtown Toledo used to be the home of major corporations. Most of those corporations are now gone or merged into others (and then gone). Toledo has a skyscraper (classic style, 1930's, about 26-stories) that was the home of Owens-Illinois Corporation, a huge manufacturer of glass products. In the early 1980's, O-I built a new glass tower (about 31-stories) along the river.

However, they were partners in mergers and changes and over the years their administrative staffing in downtown Toledo shrunk significantly. Their lease is up, next year, on the building. They are openly talking about leaving downtown Toledo. Probably relocation point is in a suburb, Perrysburg. They already have more employees in a campus setting in P'Burg, then they do in downtown Toledo.

Owens-Corning Fiberglass Corporation (think Pink Panther and insulation products) is still in downtown Toledo. But they too abandoned their 30-story (guess) skycraper and built a low-rise campus-setting HQ on the Maumee River, in the southern portion of downtown. The old building is empty, creating very high office vacancy rates in downtown.

Libbey-Owens-Ford also had a Toledo skyscraper, maybe about 16-stories. Mergers made them go away and that building is now going to be used by a local insurance company that is one (1) of the largest underwriters in the country.

Anybody need to lease some Class A office space?

Bear On Madison
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Toledo Contributes To The Dead Mall Pile

Toledo's North Towne Square Mall, opened in the 1980's, closed its' door this weekend. Only a few stores remained. No anchor stores have been at this mall for awhile.

North Towne, located in north-central Toledo, near the Michigan line, became the destination for many residents of north Toledo, Point Place, and the suburban areas of Michigan. Before North Towne these folks had to truck across town to the giant (and still-growing) Franklin Park (now Westfield Shoppingtown) or cross the river and drive to suburban Northwood's Woodville Mall.

Daimler-Chrysler has a huge Jeep assembly plant nearby and is now renting the parking lot of the dead mall to store overstock (over-produced) vehicles.

Retail.....gotta love it.

Bear At the Old Airport
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    . Before North Towne these folks had to truck across town to the giant (and still-growing) Franklin Park (now Westfield Shoppingtown) or cross the river and drive to suburban Northwood's Woodville Mall.

Bear At the Old Airport
    Don't you just hate that term "Shoppingtowne" It just grates on me.

Fort Wayne's "Southtown Mall" has been dead for yearas now. Proposals have included a giant flea market

When I was growing up decades ago, Southtown was still prosperous (but even then, you could see the trend of northside dominance. Now, the posh southwestern suburbs have their own new slice of suburban California, so ther's no need for a mall in the declining (read "minority" southeast side)

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Don't you just hate that term "Shoppingtowne" It just grates on me.

Fort Wayne's "Southtown Mall" has been dead for yearas now. Proposals have included a giant flea market

When I was growing up decades ago, Southtown was still prosperous (but even then, you could see the trend of northside dominance. Now, the posh southwestern suburbs have their own new slice of suburban California, so ther's no need for a mall in the declining (read "minority" southeast side)
    When I lived in henry County we used to travel to the big mall in Fort Wayne. It had an ice skating rink in the center. My oldest granddaughter loved going there with us.....she was about three (3) or four (4) and was just learning to skate.

The last time I was there the rink was gone, replaced by a food court. If I remember correctly, this mall was on Coliseum Boulevard.

Bear Komet
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    When I lived in henry County we used to travel to the big mall in Fort Wayne. It had an ice skating rink in the center. My oldest granddaughter loved going there with us.....she was about three (3) or four (4) and was just learning to skate.

The last time I was there the rink was gone, replaced by a food court. If I remember correctly, this mall was on Coliseum Boulevard.

Bear Komet

Yep: Glenbrook Mall, the winner in the mall wars in Fort Wayne. Although that very new, posh outdoor mall way out on Jefferson Blvd.southwest is giving it competition (Jefferson Pointe, with an "e," is what it's called, I believe )

Coliseum Blvd. proves the small "c" conservative contention that not all change is progress. Downtown Fort Wayne, with a multitude of locally owned businesses, including grand old department stores, was pre-suburban death knell qualitatively SUPERIOR in almost every respect to the horrific "architectural asteroid belt" that has grown like a fungus along Coliseum Blvd. (and now along Jefferson Blvd. southwest). Fort Wayne lost a lot when it rushed headlong into the suburban dream. And, as the city has relatively minimal design or planning regulations, I can't say "zoning" caused this tragedy. And, driving along Coliseum Blvd, it is a tragedy. Coliseum Blvd. inspir3ed me to be a planner. (Not that I have any illusions of changing the world wholesale any more)>

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. No Need To GTC: It's Toledo
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 195
    Last post: 13 Aug 2012, 7:13 PM
  2. New from Toledo
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Nov 2011, 11:18 AM
  3. Replies: 2