Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Futbol!!!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Futbol!!!

Anyone else here in Cyburbia following the World Cup?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Following but not watching "live"

It's broadcast at such rediculous hours, the scores are coming in as I'm getting up for work. The papers are right-fine by me!

USA! USA! USA!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Goal! Goal!

yes! Clarendon *where I live in Arlington Co* has been on the national news for the wild soccer fans and bars getting the OK to be open 24 hours for the fans to watch.

USA USA USA!!!

Happy camper
    Plannergirl
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hey, I'm impressed that some you actually realize the USA has a soccer team in this tournament - didn't seem to be much mentioned in the U.S. media until the other day. That was a nasty match against the Mexicans - not much of a soccer game at any rate.

Toronto, being such a multi-cultural city, has gone world cup crazy (as usual). This morning I sat with a group of Italians and watched South Korea stun their team. Not a dry eye in the house after that one... It's neat to see the different ethnic groups celebrate in their little corner of the city after a win - and to see the little (friendly) rivalries that spring up.

As for me, I'll be up at 2:30 EST Friday to watch England take on Brazil.

Go England!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Goooooo...

...ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!

And by the way, GO USA! Beat the Kr... (Must NOT be un-pc, must NOT be un-pc, must NOT be un-pc) Germany!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    up at two-thirty for Mexico and Korea. Great leap forward for US soccer.

We can beat Germany, it is possible.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Watched the entire USA/Mexico match...some on the Hispanic channel. We did not win: Mexico lost.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    We've got a housefull of Costa Ricans visiting next weekend that are Futbol psychotic, so all activities have been organized around the schedule. As for our household, my husband is planning on taking Friday MORNING off to watch soccer.

But, yay! final 8!

Registered
    Jan 2002

Cup Crazy!

I'm addicted to the World Cup. I was just glued to Spain vs. Ireland, where it ended in a shoot out.

I have a professor right now that is convinced that soccer will be the next huge sport. I guess he thinks that all of the other sports have become corrupted due to the multi-million dollar owners and players. Hey, I wouldn't mind seeing soccer in the mainstream.

USA all the WAY!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Mexican immigrant family living across the street from me. LOTS of cars parked in the cul-de-sac in recent days, with the occasional cheer or groan coming from the house.

Personally, I'm pulling for teams in this hemisphere.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Mike:

I have to take issue: A 2-0 victory over Mexico characterized by exceptional counterattacting (both goals were perfectly executed and gorgeous to see) and solid defense.

The US played exactly as it planned. Sorry, but we BEAT Mexico, as we have done on a series of ocassions over the past couple of years.

gkm

Its a virtual Friday afternoon here in the UK. 10 million people over here are taking tomorrow off work to watch the England v Brazil game. I'm up at 6.30 to walk the dog and then off to the pub at 7.00am.

Its great to see USA doing well at socer!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Norris:

I expect tonights (2:30 am my time) England - Brazil match to be the best of the Cup so far. I will not miss it.

I have twin 15 month old boys who have been teething the last two weeks and have been up in the middle of the night so I have caught a bunch of the matches besides the US ones.

England can win. Stay organized in the back (Cole and Ferdinand and Mills the key).

Perhaps time for a Micheal Owen run through Brazil's questionable Defense.

I can only wish that we Americans could experience what your country has over the month.

But we have come a long way. People are actually talking about it. Of course, if Germany send us home with a 3-0 defeat, most won't think of Soccer again until 2006.

Good luck. For the US match, the TV's will be on at work for the 7:30 my time match.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm heading to bed by 9 tonight so I can get up at 2:30 for the match - going to be tough to stay awake tomorrow at work.

Strangely enough, my fiancee will be joining me - I think she's caught the fever. Even stranger was the fact she was dreading the coming of the World Cup...she knows me too well

gkmo62u wrote:
    England can win. Stay organized in the back (Cole and Ferdinand and Mills the key).
    But they/we didn't. And England went into mourning. But there is no shame in loosing to Brasil, a notoriously good (oxymoron?) good team. The States did well considering they were such outsiders (lots of people now wishing they'd done some strategic betting!) But I'm not really a footy fan - give me rugby any day
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Journeymouse wrote:
    But I'm not really a footy fan - give me rugby any day
    For that comment, Journeymouse is awarded the hono(u)r of the RUGGED! Post of the Week.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Dan wrote:

For that comment, Journeymouse is awarded the hono(u)r of the RUGGED! Post of the Week.
    Especially if she's Dutch!

Tranplanner wrote:
    Especially if she's Dutch!
    Lol. I never said I could play it. For got sake, I'm tiny! I'd be squashed in no time!

I just like watching it. There's something ... interesting about watching 26 (union rules) / 30 (league rules) strapping young men chasing a pig skin and scoring points without being scared about getting hurt. Unlike football where you have 22 men so scared of getting their delicate selves injured it can be laughable. Or American football, which seems to be more obsessed with trying to beat seven kinds of sh*t out of each other by using their own armour.

I can only manage a bit of martial arts...
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Ah! the World Cup...

A time when the world comes together and be united in celebration of the team spirit. When countries join hands across the planet. A time to show peace and maturity. A time to reach out to millions of households with the aid of advanced broadcast media. The perfect chance to teach our young the essense of fair competition, sportsmanship and camaraderie......

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I was just sent this link.... I found it funny

http://www.flashmountain.com/worldcup2002.shtml

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by giff57
    I was just sent this link.... I found it funny

http://www.flashmountain.com/worldcup2002.shtml
    Those of you at work may not want to click on giff's link....you could get yourself into trouble! :p
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by NHPlanner

Those of you at work may not want to click on giff's link....you could get yourself into trouble! :p
    It's only a little naughty! Now, if you look around the rest of the site you're on your own.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by giff57

It's only a little naughty! Now, if you look around the rest of the site you're on your own.
    The banner at the top of the page is enough to trigger the ire if MIS here.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001

The damage was done. But at least there weren't a million pop-up ads!

Registered
    Jul 1998

The banner at the top of the page is enough to trigger the ire if MIS here.
    That's when it's nice when YOU are the MIS guy..

+ Reply to thread