Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On to Vermont

Registered
    May 1997

On to Vermont

I guess this is a good place to post this, although it is not an introduction, it also seems to fall short of being an announcement. Its just news.

I have managed to fulfill my goal of taking a sabbatical from the West, and will start work as the Town Planner in Williston, Vermont sometime in May. Besides being in a new part of the world (but one I am pretty sure I'll enjoy), it will be interesting and, perhaps, challenging to go back to a local government job after many years of teaching, consulting, and working for a nonprofit conservation organization.

If any Cyburbanite knows of a planning job in the Burlington, VT region, Karen will be interested.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Good luck with the job and the move.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good luck!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Lee -

Williston is a hopping area, with a nice set of planning/ED challenges for you I'm sure.

I know Milton (north of Williston) was looking for a Planning Director recently. Karen should also check with the regional planning commissions. There should be at least 3 or 4 within commuting distance of Williston. The state capital, Montpelier, is also within commuting distance. She should check with state agencies and NPOs there for listings.

Good luck with your move, and enjoy your new responsibilities! And be sure to give NHPlanner a hard time for me at NNECAPA events!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Lee congratulations on the new position and relocation. Vermont is really nice in the summer (all 4 hours of it). Remember, the Throbbing Brain is always ready to help.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    I guess this is a good place to post this, although it is not an introduction, it also seems to fall short of being an announcement. Its just news.

I have managed to fulfill my goal of taking a sabbatical from the West, and will start work as the Town Planner in Williston, Vermont sometime in May. Besides being in a new part of the world (but one I am pretty sure I'll enjoy), it will be interesting and, perhaps, challenging to go back to a local government job after many years of teaching, consulting, and working for a nonprofit conservation organization.

If any Cyburbanite knows of a planning job in the Burlington, VT region, Karen will be interested.
    Congrats Lee....I know that Williston has been well served for many years by a good planner, and I'm sure you'll continue the (award winning) work that has been started there.

I will definitely keep my eye open for VT opportunities (I get them e-mailed to me all the time as the NNECAPA web guy).....keep an eye on www.nnecapa.org/jobs.html for the latest postings (which I generally cross post in the Kiosk here). Look forward to meeting you in the near future (perhaps in Montpelier at the Fall NNECAPA conference).

Right now the VT forum on Sprawl and the Town of Milton are looking (haven't heard otherwise to pull the ads yet).

and....

Quote Originally posted by SGB
    And be sure to give NHPlanner a hard time for me at NNECAPA events!
    Don't worry about it SGB....there are plenty of people to give me a hard time at NNECAPA events!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Great move. Changing environments is envigorating (at least for the first few years).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congratulations! If you can't be in the west, then Vermont is one of a handful of other great places to be.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Good luck up there!

It should be a nice change (not that I have ever really been in most of the West or anywhere in Vermont )
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Congratulations and good luck.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Ditto on the Congrats!
    safe travels also!
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congratulations!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Best wishes! Enjoy!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Congrats on the job and good luck on the move.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Good luck, Lee.

You've left a heck of a legacy in the West and inspired at least one new planner. Your work will be missed. Vermont is a great place in a lot of different ways. Be sure to get some good east coast skiing under your belt, go for a hike in the Green's for me, check out the contra-dancing scene at least once, and take advantage of the fact that you can buy practically all of your food locally.

Also- I sent you a PM regarding work in Vermont for you wife.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Congrats and good luck on the move.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Good Luck Lee. I wish you nothing but the best at your new position.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome "neighbor"...VT is like my backyard...it's wonderful there!
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Congratulations!!! That is a great area.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new job and new locale!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Best of Everything Lee.

Town Planner in Williston
    Is it still called a Town Planner?
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    May 1997
    Yes, it is still called Town Planner, which I personally like much better than planning director.

Thanks for all the good wishes!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Town Planner, which I personally like much better...
    Many times I am introduced as an architect( even when just before I tell them that I am a planner) and those who know a little about planning introduce me as a 'Town Planner'.

I quickly correct them by saying , "Actually I am an Urban Planner".

I am a member of the Institute of Town Planners, India( ITPI). I don't know whether they call it similarly in England. Beacuse that's what we follow still.

The main state level planning agency is still called the Directorate of Town and Country Planning. I find it very interesting, the name...

There was an ambitious and very well meaning national level scheme called the Integrated Development of Small and Medium Towns( IDSMT) started around three decades ago. It has failed miserably while annual financial allocations still happen to states to do whatever. Maybe it was too idealistic and real for people to understand the need to attend to small towns for overall development. But that term called 'small and medium towns' really has been etched in my heart.

Talking about small towns( by Indian standards a small town is one with a population of 100,000 to 500,000.

ANyway heres something off topic but still about small towns:

1.Ever called someone by saying" hey thats small town mentality".
    2.In college whenever a girl did well in results academically of in the extra curriculur activities or just got noticed then they guys used to eally coin her" Hey! you know thaaat.. 'Small Town Big T*ts factor'.
    ( I hope this is not read as discriminatory , but thats what was said, alright!)

PS:
    But I must admit that both the above were used mostly in derogatory manner
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Congrats on the job. Someone is moving to Vermont and they have a job lined up! You're not a Phish fan are you.

Registered
    May 1997
    Don't menton Phish. I am trying to swear off chocolate.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Howdy from Vermont
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 30 Sep 2009, 9:40 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Oct 2006, 2:07 PM
  3. Town Votes to Secede from Vermont
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3