Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help for NoVa traffic?

Registered
    Mar 2002

Help for NoVa traffic?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May19.html

The folks in Arlington keep saying no in public but a growing body is starting to think this might be a good idea-I happen to be one of them.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Could you post some quotes and/or give a short synopsis for those of us that don't wish register?

Thanks
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Humm strange Im not getting any notice that I have to register and I read it online every day-its free.

Ill look into it more.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

I-66 inside the Beltway is a nightmare, and quite odd considering that being such a major highway, it is only two lanes in each direction upon entering DC through Arlington County. I think widening it by one lane is a very smart proposal, although any more than three lanes in each direction would be devastating to the area. As of now, I-66 inside the Beltway is really aestetically pleasing, there is new signage, a sound wall which seems to blend in with the surrounding trees, and the median is well landscaped with the Metro Orange line running through the middle. Hopefully adding a third lane wouldnt cause much damage to the bordering landscaping.

A suggestion - If a third lane is added, I think it should be devoted to exiting and entering the highway only, allowing for two through lanes. The third lane could be an "exit only" lane and be consistent for the entire stretch of I-66 in Arlington County. This would allow for more space for entering vehicles to merge into the travel lanes, since currently these lanes are very short.

From what I've read, building I-66 in Arlington County in the 80s was nearly impossible and allowed only if it would be four lanes total. It seems to be a difficult and prolonged debate to widen the road, and although necessary, may not happen in the near future due to the fierce NIMBY's and Arlington's mass-transit oriented stigma - which isn't a bad thing, but very difficult to pursuade when wanting to widen an interstate.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Traffic straddling bus
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 08 Sep 2010, 6:01 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jan 2010, 4:23 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Jul 2004, 3:32 PM
  4. Traffic Calming
    Design, Space, and Place