Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hotel vs. Condo vs. Resort Hotel

Registered
    May 2004

Hotel vs. Condo vs. Resort Hotel

I am new to this forum and I am seeking advice.

Working in a resort area we are having a conflict with a clear definition of a Hotel as comparted to a Condo, or a Resort Hotel. My idea is that the difference is in the zoning.

Hotels should require commercial zoning and condos residential -- however it gets fuzzy when defining them in the zoning code. Do you have any good definitions for hotels, condos, and resort hotels to share?

Thanks.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    From The Planners Dictionary, APA PAS Report 521/522:

■ hotel (See also extended-stay hotel; motel) A building in which lodging is provided and offered to the public for compensation, and which is open to transient
    guests and is not a rooming or boarding house as herein defined. (Boone County, Mo.)

Any building containing six or more guest rooms which are used, rented, or hired for sleeping purposes by transient guests and with access to units primarily from interior lobbies, courts, or halls. (Santa Rosa, Calif.)

A building in which lodging, with or without meals, is offered for compensation
    but not including kitchen facilities in individual rooms. (Johnstown, Colo.)

A building or part thereof occupied as a more or less temporary abiding place for
    individuals in which the rooms are usually occupied singularly for hire and in which rooms no provisions for cooking are made, and in which building there is usually a kitchen and public dining room for the accommodation of the guests. This definition does not include an auto or trailer court or camp, sanatorium, hospital asylum, orphanage, or building where persons are housed under restraint. (Hot Springs, Ark.)

A building or portion thereof designed or used for the transient rental of five or more units for sleeping purposes. A central kitchen and dining room and accessory shops and services catering to the general public can be provided. Not included are institutions housing persons under legal restraint or requiring medical attention or care. (Concrete, Wash.)

An establishment providing, for a fee, sleeping accommodations and customary
    lodging services, including maid service, the furnishing and upkeep of furniture and bed linens, and telephone and desk service. Related ancillary uses may include but shall not be limited to conference and meeting rooms, restaurants, bars, and recreational facilities. (Milwaukee, Wisc.)

■ hotel, resort (See also resort) One or more structures containing guest rooms and providing outdoor recreational activities. (Rancho Mirage, Calif.)

A hotel and accessory recreational components as well as service uses designed
    primarily for the convenience of guests and containing guest rooms with a maximum
    density of 10 guest rooms per acre and with a minimum of 10 percent of the total area maintained for landscaping. (Monterey County, Calif.)

A hotel, including all accessory buildings. . . and having a building site or hotel grounds containing not less than 50,000 square feet. Such hotel may have accessory commercial uses operated primarily for the convenience of the guests thereof, provided there is no street entrance directly to such commercial uses, and further provided such commercial uses shall not occupy more than 20 percent of the
    ground floor area of such hotel building. (Cathedral City, Calif.)

■ resort (See also hotel, resort) A group or groups of buildings containing more
    than five dwelling units and/or guest rooms and providing outdoor recreational
    activities that may include golf, horseback riding, swimming, shuffleboard,
    tennis and similar activities. A resort may furnish services customarily furnished
    by a hotel, including a restaurant, cocktail lounge, and convention facilities.
    (Scottsdale, Ariz.)

Abuilding or group of buildings containing guest rooms, with a large portion of
    the site devoted to recreational activities, such as tennis, horseback riding, swimming, and golf. (Pima County, Ariz.)

An establishment complete with buildings, structures, grounds, and sanitary
    facilities providing lodging with or without meals or other services for the enjoyment
    of its guests. (Marinette County, Wisc.)

A recreational development, owned and managed by one person or family, partnership, or corporation, including condominium ownership, in which two or more
    units are rented or leased for set periods or seasons. (Bayfield County, Wisc.)
    Abuilding or group of buildings containing two or more guest rooms, other than
    a boarding house, hotel, or motel, and including outdoor recreational activities
    such as, but not limited to, horseback riding, golf course, swimming, tennis
    courts, shuffleboard courts, barbecue and picnic facilities, and dining facilities intended for the primary use of its guests, but not including bars and restaurants
    which cater primarily to other than guests of the guest ranch/resort. (Concord, N.C.)

A building or series of buildings under common ownership which provide interrelated
    visitor and vacation services and are intended to serve the community and the travel needs of people traveling through the area. Typical uses include but are not limited to: overnight accommodations, meeting rooms, convention and banquet facilities, administrative facilities, maintenance and storage facilities, resort recreation facilities, and restaurant and retail uses which are customarily appurtenant to such uses. (Deschutes County, Ore.)
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2004

Thanks

NHPlanner,

Great advice, thanks for your help.

I am already a fan of Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    From The Planners Dictionary, APA PAS Report 521/522:
    I see you got your new copy today as well.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I see you got your new copy today as well.
    Actually, my boss and I picked it up in DC at the conference. The PDF version is a staple on my computer now.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by landon
    I am new to this forum and I am seeking advice.

Working in a resort area we are having a conflict with a clear definition of a Hotel as comparted to a Condo, or a Resort Hotel. My idea is that the difference is in the zoning.

Hotels should require commercial zoning and condos residential -- however it gets fuzzy when defining them in the zoning code. Do you have any good definitions for hotels, condos, and resort hotels to share?

Thanks.
    Your state might also define hotel for collection of a bed tax. Our definition incorporates most of the state definition, to also regulate short-term rentals in residential areas.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hotel parking
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Jun 2008, 11:44 AM
  2. Urban hotel pictures
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Oct 2007, 6:36 PM
  3. Hotel mail
    Friday Afternoon Club