Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm Back / An update

Registered
    Sep 2001

I'm Back / An update

First I’ve missed you all, what other set of degenerates (in a good way) could I commiserate with. Well, I’m back on line and the last 3 months have been a whirl wind of activity, both good and bad and both professionally and personally. Here is a brief outline of what has happened.

Work

Never thought I could find a more backward place then where I was, but I did. When was the last time you had to cut and paste(by hand) schedules for maps together, here it is a regular requirement. The really odd thing is that the other staff people think it is normal.

By-laws and Plans. I think I’ve found the worst set of documents ever. I administer 13 By-laws each having their own peculiarities. For example, null references (referring to sections that don’t exist is common), uses listed only in the definition section, but nowhere else and generally poorly written Plans and By-laws. I think the grey in my hair and weight loss can be attributed to this.

IT Department, the tightest bunch of guys ever. We can’t use typical things online, like canada411 due to security reasons as they feel it was being abused in the past. I can’t even change the time on the clock on my computer to match the others on my phone and the office wall. I have not posted from work, as I somewhat fear the IT guys would track me down.

Sick days, yes you get 15 per year, but only 5 at 100% and after 3 you need a Dr’s note. I also ended up being sent home sick and was docked the pay a month later.

Generally, still super unhappy with my profession and have decided to start trying to figure something else out to do for a job.

Play

Have lost nearly 30 pounds since moving here, from stress and just generally not feeling like eating combined with a bit of riding.

Great apartment, cheap. 13 x 17 foot living room, 12 foot ceiling, bay window, hardwood throughout.

Love life. Had an intense(physically and emotionally for me) 2 month relationship with a hot, smart and rich girl. Unfortunately, she found out a planner’s earning potential is and called things off. There is a bit more to the story, but not much. I have a feeling this is going to take a while to play out, on/off/on/off.

Bike riding, got my new mtb fork (MX Pro 100) and shoes (Sidi Dominators) and also ended up needing a new rear wheel for the road bike (105 on a Mavic Open Pro), ouch.

Had a good time meeting Plannerbabs and playing taxi driver in Toronto.

After waiting nearly a month for my ISP to give me a Ethernet adapter, hooked up my computer, and the monitor was dead.

With the new health care fees introduced here, I now actually take home less than I did before, even with a raise. Not good especially when combined with my girl troubles.

Generally, this has been one of the biggest mistakes I probably could have done. At least you folks are still around to bitch and cry to. Look forward to meeting a few of you at the laefest in TO. Unfortunately, I have a bike race that weekend so I’m not sure how much time I’ll have to hang out.

Today was a really slow day so I am risking posting, plus I don’t really care about this job at all. Once I get set up at home, I’ll be back more frequently.

Finally, to everyone who has had a baby, found out they are going to have a baby, got married, got engaged, had a birthday, found a new job, and/or is generally getting along fine congratulations and keep smiling.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Welcome back. I had heard things weren't going as well as expected.....if you're looking to move again, Laconia, NH (see the Kiosk) is looking for a Planning Director (and the consultant they've been using has hounded me to see if I know anyone looking....even tried to get me to apply, but I'm too content where I am).

Hope things get better on the personal side, and you know where to find me if you want to chat.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It's great to have you back Donk. I'm sure I speak for the rest of the degenerates when I say that you have been sorely missed around here. It really sucks to hear about your professional and personal troubles. Who knows, maybe the crappy move and the even crappier job is just a lead in to bigger and much better things. I know that's how it worked out for me.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Welcome back, if it's any consolation, we've missed you around here. I hope things will get better for you.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome Back. Sorry to hear things aren't what you had hoped for.

Lots changed around here too. You've got some catching up to do!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Good see your doing OK-ish.

As for rethinking you profession, I say look around.

Does your new community need a bike shop?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Glad to have you Donk, hang in there I think many of us have been in your shoes in recent years-we are here for ya.

Good luck and welcome "home"
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Gee, I kinda figured being able to hang out with me on a regular basis made up for all the crap you've been going through.

Welcome back!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    First off, good to hear your still alive and I look forward to hearing from you more in the hopefully not to distant future.

Sound like you took a step into the stone ages and all with the cutting and pasteing thing.

Good to hear your still riding, I know somtimes when people get stresses or depresses they lose interest in the things they love. I'm glad to hear your still biking, It is a great release of stress and I know it helps me blow off steam.

Anyway, welcome back.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good to see you back Donk. At least you get to say you've lost wieght out of this deal, eh? I hope you're able to find what you need out of this deal. I know you were excited to get there, after the seeming hole you were in before. Its amazing what things DON'T come out about jobs in interviews.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome back. Hopefully the area you're in isn't as bad as where you were even if the job sucks - less inbreeding, threats to animals etc. Are you close enough to the Toronto area to look for another job without having to move again? And of course, better to have loved and lost than to be stuck in New Brunswick with no dating prospects.

If you apply to Laconia I hope you like the Harley scene. (Don't tell the consultant I said that.)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Welcome back. A number of folks joined Teh Clube while you were away. So, time for you to start posting more often so we don't catch up too much.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Good to see you back. Keep us posted on developments; hopefully, things will be looking up for you.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome back, Donk. I'm hoping things turn around for you.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Welcome back donk from the Cyburbia Support Group Sounds like you've had a hard time but you've still got your head screwed on right so you'll get through things. Look forward to meeting you in TO!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Keep your head up, Donk. Best wishes to you!

Welcome back.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well crap! That sucks that you made this move and it's ended up disappointing. Is there any way that you can work those awful bylaws into a comprehensive update of the regulations? Our LUB really sucks out here, but it makes me feel better to think that I'm vastly improving the archaic, draconian document.

I'm glad to see that you are at least getting to be more socially active... at least your proximity nearish to TO lets you get out from time to time. Big *hugs* for you... I wish there was more I can do. Sure you don't want to move to Alberta? We have lots of jobs out here!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It's so good to have you back. I'm sorry things are crap right now, but it can only get better.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Glad to hear from you again donk -- we really have missed you in these parts! If it is any consolation, I'm dealing with a zoning code that hasn't had a major upgrade since 1972 (part of the reason we are currently in Federal court on a First Amendment {the right to free speech for our international members} complaint).Sorry about the hottie but if she's only interested in $$$canadian, well "I used her and she used me. Neither one cared, we were both getting our share."

Hope it all works out -- we're all pulling for you!
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Pleased to see you posting again Donk. I am amongst the many that missed reading your posts.

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Lots changed around here too. You've got some catching up to do!
    Just to fill you in on some of the stranger turns of event:
    Dan seems to be spending a high proportion of his personal life focussed on Guiness and Bailey.
    Cardinal is weighing up another job.
    elGuapo has become a little conservative in his political outlook.
    SA Cat, Nerudite, JNA, Plannergirl and Tranplanner have not become a little conservative in their political outlook.
    MichelleZone's posts occasionally have unintended consequences that generate more discourse than the original topic.
    Michaelskis has started being too charming with the ladies.
    Chet has developed a scathing wit.
    JNL is torturing young single males.
    DOD is brewing beer.
    Budgie and Rumpy now like to drink and pick fights.
    I think there's something going on between Planderella and BEK and seperately between NH Planner and Planner Groupie.
    Oh and did I mention my sex change surgery?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    So, in other words, REM, not much has changed but your sex? :-P
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    JNL is torturing young single males.
    I don't know what you're talking about! o o o

Registered
    Aug 2001
    welcome back donk. and why not buy a harley and go to laconia?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Oct 2001
    DONK
    Bummer man. Sorry to hear it went down a notch overall. As to the intense love affair: May I live vicariously through your exlpoits? The only thing getting lately ridden around at casa el Guapo is the Trek 1000 .

Dean Wormer: "Donk, Hot Smart and Rich is what it is all about. Bring your "A" game to the bedroom and she'd marry a McDonalds cook."

On a personal cycling note: I've already doubled last year's mileage and I'm only 1/3 of the way through the season.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
    We're so glad you could attend
    Come inside! Come inside! ....
    Come inside, the show's about to start
    guaranteed to blow your head apart

Artist: Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    Song Title: Karn Evil 9 First Impression
    Album Lyrics: Brain Salad Surgery

Q. Wondering what was meant by
    Quote Originally posted by REM
    have not become a little conservative in their political outlook.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Have we an update?
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Jun 2005, 4:43 PM
  2. Update
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Dec 2002, 1:03 PM