Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Starbucks Locating in Less Trendy Areas?

Registered
    Nov 2002

Is Starbucks Locating in Less Trendy Areas?

A town here now has a proposal for a Starbucks with a drive-through, in little strip mall, along a commercial arterial. This is in a more suburban section of an otherwise blue-collar, small urban community. Its not even a new or particularly attractive arterial, although it does have a few major big boxes. This isn't at all the typical trendy, "yuppie" Starbucks location. Has this type of Starbucks been springing up elsewhere?

Please note that this question does not ask whether Starbucks is an evil corporate machine designed to kill small businesses.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Yes, I believe starbucks is begining to explore other markets. I've heard through the grapevine that 5 are proposed in Peoria, IL. 5? in Peoria? 2 are confirmed thus far.

One is near a trendy, new commercial area. The other is along gritty west main street near Bradley University.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2003
    Here, it always seems that starbucks preceed the yuppies. Like you're walking through your ethnic neighborhood and all the sudden you notice that the five-and-dime has been turned into a starbucks. The next day, the property values double. Then the jettas show up. It's downhill from there.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    In short order we had two Starbucks and a Starbucks in a supermarket. In Helena, Montana. Cannot get much less trendy than that.

Registered
    May 2003

A Cup In Every Garage!

Yes. Here in metro Denver, they've taken the same approach...some sites which may have been a "C" on their list now has a SB sitting on it. Most are free-standing drive-throughs rather than drive ups in strip shopping centers.

I think their "A" and "B" sites are in markets which are already caffeine-saturated.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We just got a stand alone Starbucks with a drive-through in our neighbourhood shopping centre in St. Albert. We have a trendy community, but it's a very non-trendy location...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    They locate out here in trendy and non trendy areas.

A bit OT: driving to work yesterday morning I saw a child riding their bike to school with a Starbucks cup in one hand.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Is the inside of a Target store in Lakeland FL trendy?

If the answer to my question is "no", then the answer to your question is "yes".

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Wal-Mart invades urban areas, Starbucks invade hicksville... is World Corporation War One far behind?
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    We just got a stand alone Starbucks with a drive-through in our neighbourhood shopping centre in ...
    Can you believe that we are going get one of those. Not far from where I live.
    We already have one inside our B & N. Half-way across town.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Can you believe that we are going get one of those. Not far from where I live.
    We already have one inside our B & N. Half-way across town.
    There is a SB right at the central intersection in downtown Appleton, not a 'trendy' location per se, but in a hot nightlife and active daytime office district with a small liberal-arts college a few blocks away, also one in a B&N in the faceless west side suburban big box sprawl and mall land.

Mike

Registered
    Jun 2003
    We now have a SB in Lake Macquarie - for about 6 months. It is located in our biggest enclosed mall - 47,000 m2 GLA (505,920 ft2). This is not a trendy shopping centre but it is the busiest and with the largest range of retailers.

There is another one locally, but in the Town Next Door (TM). It is located on a seedy, quiet, pedestrian mall.

Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    A town here now has a proposal for a Starbucks with a drive-through, in little strip mall, along a commercial arterial. This is in a more suburban section of an otherwise blue-collar, small urban community. Its not even a new or particularly attractive arterial, although it does have a few major big boxes. This isn't at all the typical trendy, "yuppie" Starbucks location. Has this type of Starbucks been springing up elsewhere?

Please note that this question does not ask whether Starbucks is an evil corporate machine designed to kill small businesses.
    Not a "typical trendy, yuppie location?" But where will they find enough posers to support a store?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    When they locate in the town of my previous employment you'll know that they don't care about being trendy.

Where I am now they only got a Tim's about 2 -3 years ago,so starbucks is a long way away.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    When they locate in the town of my previous employment you'll know that they don't care about being trendy.

Where I am now they only got a Tim's about 2 -3 years ago,so starbucks is a long way away.
    Just saw my first local Tim Horton's yesterday about 2 miles from home. I'll have to stop in and try the poutine and beer.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'll take a Tim Horton's any day over a Starbucks.

But, with our region's location and declining population we probably won't see either in my lifetime.

Just saw my first local Tim Horton's yesterday about 2 miles from home. I'll have to stop in and try the poutine and beer.
    Oooh - could a TH's vs. Dunkin Donuts market smackdown be in the offing?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 28 May 2004 at 9:36 AM.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    Oooh - could a TH's vs. Dunkin Donuts market smackdown be in the offing?
    Tim's vs. Dunkin Donuts vs. Krispy Kreme, vs. Honey Dew - its going to be a bloodbath. Realistically, Atkins is probably decreasing all their profits.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Tim's vs. Dunkin Donuts vs. Krispy Kreme, vs. Honey Dew - its going to be a bloodbath. Realistically, Atkins is probably decreasing all their profits.
    Still haven't seen Starbucks, Tim's, or Krispy Kreme in NH (well, there's a Starbucks in Portsmouth, but none of the others).

Not a coffee drinker, so personally I could care less about having a Starbucks in the area....but I like Tims (from my trips to the Great White North).

I am starting to get hooked on DD's French Vanilla Coolatas though.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Look at the franchise

If the store is a corporate owned store, I think it makes a major difference where they choose to build/operate. If the store is a privately run franchised store its more likely to be in a risky area or non-trendy areas. I've seen several in non-trendy locations and strip malls in working class neighborhoods.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Slightly off topic, but addressing the ubiquitous nature of Starbucks...

In "Shrek 2", the action takes place in the "Land of Far Far Away", which looks suspiciously like Beverly Hills. The stores are all take-offs of real places, one of which is "Farbucks Coffee."

In one scene, a giant gingerbread man is crashing through the city, ala Godzilla, and wipes out a Farbucks Coffee store. The patrons run, terrified, out of the store, across the street and into...another Farbucks Coffee store!!! Bwahahahahaha! I about laughed myself silly at that.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Miles Ignatius
    Yes. Here in metro Denver, they've taken the same approach...some sites which may have been a "C" on their list now has a SB sitting on it. Most are free-standing drive-throughs rather than drive ups in strip shopping centers.
    Did Starbucks hit Northwest Denver yet? It's a strange market up there, where residential gentrification seems to be going forward at full steam, but there's an increasing amount of businesses catering to a shrinking Mexican immigrant population. I don't see too many chollos and campensanos drinking mocha latte.

When I lived in Denver in a past life, Dietrich's Coffee was known as the gay coffeehouse chain. Huh?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2003

With Gusto!

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Did Starbucks hit Northwest Denver yet? It's a strange market up there, where residential gentrification seems to be going forward at full steam, but there's an increasing amount of businesses catering to a shrinking Mexican immigrant population. I don't see too many chollos and campensanos drinking mocha latte.

When I lived in Denver in a past life, Dietrich's Coffee was known as the gay coffeehouse chain. Huh?
    Dan - SB has populated NW Denver, but mostly via the graces of locations provided by Safeway and King Soopers - no free standing stores, likely due to the demographic blend. [ or grind, if you prefer]

On coffee outlets, I'm sure you'll remember Common Grounds on W. 32nd & Lowell in the heart of West Highlands - they're still going strong and now have Peaberry's (a Colorado owned SB competitor) across the street.

Dietrich's has fallen on hard times - they expanded too fast and closed down all of their locations except for the one downtown on 17th Street - I'd heard of the gay community's preference for the place, but never noticed it when patronizing the place.

Miles

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    As Starbucks is moving into more suburban areas (they are all over E. Cobb - Roswell - Duluth northern arc in Atlanta) Walmart is moving into more urban areas. These mega chains are expanding into realms that are now actively demanding these services. Now that the typical suburban middle class family enjoys latte's, Walmart realizes there is an untapped market in poor predominately black urban areas.

What next? Cracker Barrel in street level retail spots in uptown condo's & Crate & Barrel in small town mini shopping centers next to the tanning bed store?

Registered
    May 2003
    Chain stores pick out the best locations (trendy areas for Starbucks) and try to fill them all. Then they do the next best locations. Then the third best locations. Then the fourth best locations. I think Starbucks is on level 5 or 6 now - no longer trendy.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Wulf9
    I think Starbucks is on level 5 or 6 now - no longer trendy.
    I don't know ... There's probably far more trendy areas in not-so-trendy markets that Starbucks has ignored, as opposed to not-so-trendy areas in trendy markets. I think that according to Starbucks, a slum in Seattle is a better location than a bohemian neighborhood in Toledo ... if there is such a thing as either.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Locating a new airport
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 59
    Last post: 21 Aug 2011, 8:46 AM
  2. Signs / billboards Locating auto dealerships
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 May 2011, 10:03 PM
  3. Is it trendy or is it stupid?