Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help a prospective planning grad student

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2004

Help a prospective planning grad student

I have a BA in Art History from 2000. I've worked the past four years and am now looking to apply to urban planning graduate programs in Fall '05. I'm taking Sociological Statistics and Microeconomics this summer and the last 60 hours of my undergrad GPA comes to 3.29, if I calculated it right.

I'm interested in working for private (consulting) firms in international development/planning. Can anyone recommend any good schools or rankings of schools? I'm going to look at the ACSP's Guide but I don't know how much help that will be.

I've been looking at UIUC's program but haven't really seen anyone talk about it on here.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Did I make some faux pas by saying I wanted to work for a private consulting firm in international development?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 30 May 2004 at 1:55 PM.

Quote Originally posted by jdstl1977
    Did I make some faux pas by saying I wanted to work for a private consulting firm in international development?
    Nope, no faux pas at all. It's probably a combination of things -- a post late in the week before a long holiday weekend and the fact that most of the professional planners here are in the public sector, working everything from rural, regional, town and city planning. The private sector planners are either involved with the consulting side (typically to other municipal planning agencies) or the development side. Traffic to the site will pick up Monday when our Canadian, Australian, Indian and New Zealand folks show up (and even a possible visit from our resident Chilean), and Tuesday when the rest of the Yanks are back to work.

I read your post earlier but didn't reply because I really don't know the answer to your question. If my experience from Ball State is any indication, you would have to double-major at most schools, probably in business, international relations or some such, and planning. Maybe the Columbias, Penns, and other larger schools offer something in your area of interest.

Are you fluent in a foreign language?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jdstl1977
    ... I wanted to work for a private consulting firm in international development?
    Here is a sideways approach toward your interest,
    If you attend church,
    If so, then does your church do short mission trips of 1-2 weeks
    overseas helping to build/repair say a school / community center ?

I agree with Gedunker on probable double major and language.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

     
    Registered
    May 2004

Usc

Look into USC. For someone with interest in the private sector development, I think USC's strong connection to the private sector may be helpful. The business school is right next to the planning (and public policy) school. The school also offers a lot of real estate development classes, which I've heard become handy in the private sector. LA, also, is a major North American gate to the Pacific Rim; it's an exciting place for people with interest in international development.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2004
    Thanks for the clarification. I've found some international development strains in a few schools listed in the ACSP's Guide. I'm really looking at schools that require a capstone project rather than a Master's Thesis. A Dual-Degree might be the route I'd have to go to look attractive to international development firms. I'm researching on both sides: what academic departments offer and what firms seem to value or look for.

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Nope, no faux pas at all. It's probably a combination of things -- a post late in the week before a long holiday weekend and the fact that most of the professional planners here are in the public sector, working everything from rural, regional, town and city planning. The private sector planners are either involved with the consulting side (typically to other municipal planning agencies) or the development side. Traffic to the site will pick up Monday when our Canadian, Australian, Indian and New Zealand folks show up (and even a possible visit from our resident Chilean), and Tuesday when the rest of the Yanks are back to work.

I read your post earlier but didn't reply because I really don't know the answer to your question. If my experience from Ball State is any indication, you would have to double-major at most schools, probably in business, international relations or some such, and planning. Maybe the Columbias, Penns, and other larger schools offer something in your area of interest.

Are you fluent in a foreign language?
    I'm looking to do things on a larger scale. Helping on development or reuse projects like the work that was done on redeveloping Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines after the US military left.

As for language, I took many years of Spanish but I barely remember any of it because of lack of use.

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Here is a sideways approach toward your interest,
    If you attend church,
    If so, then does your church do short mission trips of 1-2 weeks
    overseas helping to build/repair say a school / community center ?

I agree with Gedunker on probable double major and language.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Hey not to threadjack or anything but I'm kind of in the same boat...interested in getting a master's and working in private consulting.

From browsing the site I gather that USC is a good school for those wanting to be in the private sector. Are there any others out there? Looking for programs with strong real estate development/transportation planning curricula.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by roger
    Hey not to threadjack or anything but I'm kind of in the same boat...interested in getting a master's and working in private consulting.

From browsing the site I gather that USC is a good school for those wanting to be in the private sector. Are there any others out there? Looking for programs with strong real estate development/transportation planning curricula.
    Roger, your best bet really is USC for that category of topics. They have the lusk center for real estate. But if you want transportation and real estate for private sector, you can manage a combo at UCLA and USC where you take classes from each university. UCLA having the stronger transportation planning, and USC having the stronger Real estate development.

Good luck
    [Thread jacking terminated]

jdstl1977,
    for international development the los angeles area is a good bet, specifically pacific rim stuff. otherwise I would look at georgetown in DC because of proximity to international organizations and US govt.
    Good Luck

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Does UCLA and USC allow for cross-enrollment of courses? That would be an interesting combo.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Prospective Planning Student
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Mar 2012, 4:27 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Nov 2011, 12:00 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Mar 2008, 4:36 PM
  4. Prospective Student in Va.
    Introduce Yourself