Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is this common in your community???

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Is this common in your community???

Today's Doonesbury...
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001

Eat your heart out Consumers Energy

I am the proud owner of an umbrella style solar dryer. Finally figured out what the funny looking pipe was sticking out of the ground on the south side of my house, a clothesline pole holder. I havent switched on the dryer in a week. I like hanging clothes on the line!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hmmm.... I remember posting a comment about banned bird houses a while back.

There are some really ridiculous regulations or homeowner covenants out there.

Registered
    Oct 2001

I agree with the Cops on this one!

Michael notes that there are some ridiculous covenants out there. I’ll agree to a point. But let’s not condemn them all so quickly. After all they are voluntary. No one is forced to buy a home in a community with covenants.

Just as I am a firm believer that certain people should be allowed to use an old bus as a room addition to their 1973 14”x 60” Lark Matador, there should also be a place in this world for the wildly anal retentive. If you and you neighbors agree through a covenant that clotheslines look like shit and promote the kind of thinking that leads to voting for democrats then don’t hang up your cloths outside. Move to the country and grow your own.

Doonesbury’s central theme has always been lampooning conservative values and promoting the kind of free love and abandonment of good decency that Florida Planners are known to practice. This particular cartoon is a fine example. If a group of citizens decide they want to live amongst other anal retentives then by God let’s leave them alone. This is America: If you want to live on a commune and grow hemp there is a place for you. If you want to live in a community where all the cars are parked inside by 9:00 pm and all of the houses have the proper shade of Rothschild’s Ginger Gray #9 then I say go for it.

PS - There was an X Files Episode that dealt with a gated heavily regulated community. In it the monster ate the anal retentive. The non-conformist was the hero. I was rooting for the anal residents. In certain cases the homeowner’s association should be able to exercise capital punishment.

Registered
    Apr 1996

The whole series...for those interested

Monday...
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Tuesday...

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Wednesday's is the first in this thread...here's today's (Thursday)

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Friday's entry...

Registered
    Aug 2001

On the flip side...

When I lived in Davis, CA (otherwise known as the People's Republic of Davis), all apartments were required to have an outdoor clothesline per unit on the balconies for energy conservation. Not that anyone really used them...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Most common strip mall tenants
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Aug 2007, 4:46 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 12:17 AM
  3. How common is common sense?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 20 Jan 2007, 2:49 PM
  4. common dreams
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Sep 2001, 11:17 PM
  5. How should NU common areas be funded?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jul 2000, 10:17 PM