Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone seeking an entry level planner?

Registered
    Jun 2004

Anyone seeking an entry level planner?

I am currently a grad student at Eastern Michigan University, and I will be graduating with my master's degree in December. I am looking for a job in either the Midwest or Southeast as a planner. My undergrad degree is in environmental studies. The job must pay well or have student loan payback assistance built in. I have internship experience with two progressive Iowa communities, and can provide good references. E-mail me if you have anything available.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Loan payback assistance? In planning?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Mod Note: The Kiosk is for announcements ONLY....no discussion. Thread moved to Student Lounge.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    It exists but it is rare. I even had one public sector employer pay my tuition for grad school.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    It exists but it is rare. I even had one public sector employer pay my tuition for grad school.
    Now, tuition assistance I can understand, at my current place of employment they pay for a percentage but you owe them all of it if you quit within so many years of graduating. But to have someone pay your loans back for you? The only time I've heard of that is if you're a teacher.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Shouldn't you also add:

Pay well? In planning?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    Now, tuition assistance I can understand, at my current place of employment they pay for a percentage but you owe them all of it if you quit within so many years of graduating. But to have someone pay your loans back for you? The only time I've heard of that is if you're a teacher.
    Actually, I think the Army may have a program where they repay your student loans if you meet X qualifications, etc. With a war going on, now might not be the best time for joining the army "for the money". I don't remember the details and hubby is out of town but he helped an acquaintance of ours go into the military who was in dire straights financially (with tons of college loans and pregnant girlfriend). Then we left for recruiting duty and he discovered the guy could have gotten a lot more money out of the deal if he had known about that program.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    I vaguely recall seeing reference to private foundations that offer "public service fellowships". Some of these may offer loan remission/repayment in exchange for a commitment on the part of the grantee to a career in public service (i.e., generally,working for state, local or Federal government or, sometimes, an international agency). I can't remember any program names, but they do exist... there are numerous places on the Internet where you can look up fellowships. Generally, they are awarded on a highly competitive "merit" basis (grades, essays, CV, record of public service activities, evidence of superior leadership skills) to current students in their last year of study or to recent grads, generally with Fall application deadlines and Spring notifications. Sometimes you need to have graduated from specific schools, be from specific geographic areas, have military experience, be the son or daughter of someone with military experience or whatever criteria meets the fancy of the funders.

Hope that helps.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lol welcome to planning
    low pay, little respect and lots of stress.

The job market for planners sucks the big ones right now, though there are more jobs in the deep South right now. You will make crap, be called a "commie" or worse and cantankrus (sp?) applicants that know bubba so and so and you will approve their application becouse of it. I guess what I am saying is there are more chances to get a planning job in a rural or small town where you can do it all. Its a big game of which you want more-money or experiance.

As far as someone else paying off your loans? Ive never seen or heard of it at least in the public sector. Right now its an employeers market, they can pay you less, give you less bennies and higher someone with more experiance and education.

Good luck!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 7:30 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 12 Sep 2009, 12:12 PM
  3. Entry-level planner training
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Aug 2008, 12:06 PM
  4. Skills of an entry-level planner
    Career Development and Advice