Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Offspring Repellent AIB Joe Iliff

  1. #1
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,816
    Blog entries
    1

    Offspring Repellent AIB Joe Iliff

    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    If I remember right from The Cosby Show it was a record player, a lack of soft surfaces, hard wooden chairs, boxes of tools, and a black and white TV without remote control.

    I wonder what more up-to-date offspring repellent would be? Lack of cell service and wi-fi?
    This quote from the Man Cave thread inspired me to come up with a new thread. What kind of offspring repellent would you place were you to have a Man Cave, Woman Cave, or some sort of room in your house where you could find some peace and quiet because children would never want to go in there?

    I don't have children, but if I do, and I intend to create a room with offspring repellent, I suspect my room would be kind of a library with my book collection full of topics that most kids probably aren't interested in (politics, urban planning, biographies), my collection of maps and atlases, a locked cabinet stocked with hard alcohol, a desk, an office chair, my fictional cities along with fresh paper, pencils, and tape, and yes, I probably would have a record player along with the few record albums I've managed to get my hands on by bands such as David Lee Roth, REO Speedwagon, Guns N' Roses, and Metallica. I agree with Joe Illiff, this room would not have computers, phone service, video games, flat-screen TVs, iPods, or anything like that. Although if my kids are anything like I was as a kid, this plan would fail miserably.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  2. #2
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    This quote from the Man Cave thread inspired me to come up with a new thread. What kind of offspring repellent would you place were you to have a Man Cave, Woman Cave, or some sort of room in your house where you could find some peace and quiet because children would never want to go in there?

    I don't have children, but if I do, and I intend to create a room with offspring repellent, I suspect my room would be kind of a library with my book collection full of topics that most kids probably aren't interested in (politics, urban planning, biographies), my collection of maps and atlases, a locked cabinet stocked with hard alcohol, a desk, an office chair, my fictional cities along with fresh paper, pencils, and tape, and yes, I probably would have a record player along with the few record albums I've managed to get my hands on by bands such as David Lee Roth, REO Speedwagon, Guns N' Roses, and Metallica. I agree with Joe Illiff, this room would not have computers, phone service, video games, flat-screen TVs, iPods, or anything like that. Although if my kids are anything like I was as a kid, this plan would fail miserably.
    You're correct. Your plan will fail miserably. If you're in the room, your kids will want to be in there, regardless of the things that fill the room. They care about the things you care about.

    Basically, you need a gate or a door, with a lock.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  3. #3
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,677
    The kids will become teenagers. At that point, invite them in, offer to show them some things and offer to buy them similiar items of their own. The prospect of being like you could act as a repellent!

  4. #4
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,757
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    You're correct. Your plan will fail miserably. If you're in the room, your kids will want to be in there, regardless of the things that fill the room. They care about the things you care about.

    Basically, you need a gate or a door, with a lock.
    I agree. There is no such thing as an offspring repellent. Unless of course you consider teenage years a repellent. Currently, it doesn't matter what I do, or where I am, that place is best for my child. He will follow me and sit, or play with his toys in whatever room I am in. He will cry if we don't let him be around us. Which personally I like my kid, so I have no reason to want to be away from him when I am in my house.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Joe Iliff's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 1997
    Location
    Clowns to the left, jokers to the right
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    This quote from the Man Cave thread inspired me to come up with a new thread.

    I agree with Joe Illiff, this room would not have computers, phone service, video games, flat-screen TVs, iPods, or anything like that. Although if my kids are anything like I was as a kid, this plan would fail miserably.
    I appreciate the AIB, though you do keep putting a few too many L's in my last name. (Don't worry, it is easy to do with sans-serif fonts.)

    I don't know that I would mind kids being in my (hypothetical) retreat IF they would embrace the spirit of it. No complaining that there is a VCR with no remote or surround sound instead of a BluRay-DVD or whatever. No complaining about the radio, rather than an iPod or XM radio. No social media. Read a book.
    JOE ILIFF
    ________________________________________________________________________
    Debt is normal . . . Be weird!
    Dave Ramsey

    "Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,351

    Easy.....

    Anything that requires a bit of effort of work
    Skilled Adoxographer

  7. #7
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,816
    Blog entries
    1
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    I appreciate the AIB, though you do keep putting a few too many L's in my last name. (Don't worry, it is easy to do with sans-serif fonts.)

    I don't know that I would mind kids being in my (hypothetical) retreat IF they would embrace the spirit of it. No complaining that there is a VCR with no remote or surround sound instead of a BluRay-DVD or whatever. No complaining about the radio, rather than an iPod or XM radio. No social media. Read a book.
    Oops, sorry about that, Joe. And you bring up interesting points. I would hope kids would find the back-to-basics thing refreshing and embrace it. I remember my dad would listen to old radio programs on the weekend, and I thought that was great and I really enjoyed it.

    As for the rest of you, I suppose you are right about how kids always want to be where their parents are. And with 40 hour work-weeks making family time short and precious, I'm sure most parents want to be around their kids most of the time as well. Although, I'm sure there are moments where you just want to escape and have some alone time for an hour.

    Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker
    Corrected spelling in thread title. (Having a surname often incorrectly pluralized, I'm very sympathetic.) Thank you and carry on.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 17 Nov 2010 at 2:37 PM.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Girl repellent
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Mar 2012, 1:08 PM
  2. Happy Birthday, Joe Iliff
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 15 Aug 2011, 3:04 PM
  3. Happy Birthday Joe Iliff
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 14 Aug 2009, 5:44 PM
  4. Joe Iliff joins Teh Clube
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 12:45 PM
  5. Attention: Joe Iliff
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2004, 3:27 PM