Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Money Saving Tips Thread

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Buy your wine in 1.5 liter jugs for during the week at Sam's Club. Save the good stuff in the small bottles for the weekends.

Buy your cigarettes by the carton. Forget those one dollar off for three packs ads.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Milwaukee’s Best

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Tap water. Because drinking bottled water is just encouraging THE MAN to privatize natural resources, don't yah know? (Plus, the tap water is probably better quality)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Volunteer, so that all of your vacations are partially paid for by others.

For me this year "free" trips to:

Ottawa
    Calgary
    Montreal
    Quebec City
    Vancouver
    Whitehorse
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In the past few months, the biggest thing that has helped is a very detailed budget. Since I get paid every two weeks, my budget is for those two weeks, but I also do a matching month budget.

The most important thing is to write it down and follow it. Tell every dollar where you want it to go. If you want to save money, put it in savings on your budget. If you want to spend money on beer, put it in your beer budget.

By doing this, you will feel like you got a raise. I was shocked the first time and I wondered where I had spent all my money over the past several months. Now, I know where it is going.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Volunteer, so that all of your vacations are partially paid for by others.
    Speaking of free trips, I'm looking for someone to drive across the country with me, starting in NJ, ending in San Diego. I'm planning on leaving on the 18th or 19th of Dec., and taking about 10 days to do the drive, with some sightseeing stops. I'm starting a new job in S.D. on Jan. 3rd. Just in time to get away from the worst of the winter weather.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    In a post cheap oil world, I really don't think people are going to concern themselves with something as futile and short-term as shaving.
    You are missing the real oppression, the real futile short term event: BATHING. Have you stopped bathing regularly? Why not? It is HUMAN to STINK. Some anthropologists believe that it is human body odor that helped our ancestors survive. We stunk too much to eat!

In the glorious post-oil world you apocalyptics are so looking forward to, once the 80% of riff-raff have died off, we will not need to bathe. We can revel in our fragrant, greasy humanity.

Liberate the Lubricated Locks!

Viva la Revolucion! Down with the oppressions of Gillette! Down with the evils of Right Guard! Overthrow the tyranny of Vidal Sassoon!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Chase Rebate Cards

On the Chase Cash Plus card - 5% back on grocery, pharmacy and gas, 1% on everything else. $300 yearly cap.

If you pay your cards on time, who couldn't use a free $300?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    You are missing the real oppression, the real futile short term event: BATHING. Have you stopped bathing regularly? Why not? It is HUMAN to STINK. Some anthropologists believe that it is human body odor that helped our ancestors survive. We stunk too much to eat!

In the glorious post-oil world you apocalyptics are so looking forward to, once the 80% of riff-raff have died off, we will not need to bathe. We can revel in our fragrant, greasy humanity.

Liberate the Lubricated Locks!

Viva la Revolucion! Down with the oppressions of Gillette! Down with the evils of Right Guard! Overthrow the tyranny of Vidal Sassoon!
    I know it's ripe for sarcasm, but shaving is far more trivial than bathing. Bathing is a health issue. Shaving is a cosmetic issue.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I know it's ripe for sarcasm, but shaving is far more trivial than bathing. Bathing is a health issue. Shaving is a cosmetic issue.
    But again, absent a serious depression/social collapse. What is wrong with a little cosmetic issue? Daily bathing is not really needed for "health" reasons, but I am most certainly unwilling to give it up. Shaving is not some horrible imposition.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Bank of America now has an interesting concept... where they round up all your debit charges to the nearest dollar and put in your savings account. It would probably be effective for people who do not really do much budgeting and want a hands-off approach to increase savings.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well shaving IS a health issue when you have food stuck in your beard...

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Well shaving IS a health issue when you have food stuck in your beard...
    It's not like you have to go ZZTop about it! But then again, I do enjoy a little aftertaste from my flaver saver now and then.

I'm just saying economically, if you can't afford both soap and razor blades - razor blades uh, don't make the cut. It may seem a trivial expense, but still I think it falls under a large category of things people say they want, but don't really need. I'd rather have an extra 15 minutes of sleep.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ..... I'd rather have an extra 15 minutes of sleep.
    I can shave my face and legs in fewer than 15 minutes....closer to 5 minutes. And in the end, I feel better about myself.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I can shave my face and legs in fewer than 15 minutes....closer to 5 minutes. And in the end, I feel better about myself.
    If it feels good, do it. I'm not saying don't shave. I'm just saying it's not a necessity.

I'm not a morning person. Getting up early, showering, having a quick breakfast, brushing and rinsing, getting dressed in a corporate costume and commuting to work without getting sweaty, dirty or relying on fossil fuels is enough hassle for me.

The cost of a decent shave is about $.50/per day if I change blades every other day. Altogether, the cost in time, money, loss of sleep, and razor burn, do not justify such a brief and dubious benefit.
    Last edited by dobopoq; 26 Nov 2005 at 12:32 AM.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    i find bringing cash to the grocery store with a calculator helps me save on my grocery bills - no debit, no checks and deifntiely no credit cards - the budget is more finite

i have my 12 year old add up as we go, so then she sees for real the value of a dollar, or lack thereof

Registered
    May 2003
    The cost of a decent shave is about $.50/per day if I change blades every other day. Altogether, the cost in time, money, loss of sleep, and razor burn, do not justify such a brief and dubious benefit.
    Maybe you should get an electric razor.

Or a straight razor that you can sharpen yourself.

Do disposable razor blades really only last through two shavings?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    If it feels good, do it. I'm not saying don't shave. I'm just saying it's not a necessity.

I'm not a morning person. Getting up early, showering, having a quick breakfast, brushing and rinsing, getting dressed in a corporate costume and commuting to work without getting sweaty, dirty or relying on fossil fuels is enough hassle for me.

Buy a good blade and change them every week-to-ten days. That's what I do.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Remember, discarded pizza boxes are any excellent source of cheese.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    How 'bout waxing as opposed to shaving?? At least that way you will FEEL the savings

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Buy a good blade and change them every week-to-ten days. That's what I do.
    I don't change the blade until the thing is ripping the hair off my face (and legs), at least two weeks and usually longer. And I shave daily (except maybe on the weekends). Of course, my facial hair is spotty. Full growth of leg hair though. I know, TMI.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I have an electric shaver I use daily, and about once a week I shave with a good 3 Blade razor, this way, at least once a week those pesky hairs that the shaver misses get cut.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    How about some REAL money-saving tips? Most money-saving tips I see online advocate painfully frugal living; they're usually along the lines of "never eat out, and save money from what you would pay for a meal at a restaurant", "during the winter, keep your thermostat at 62, and stay warm by wearing a sweater", or "instead of going to the movies, rent a DVD and buy microwave popcorn." I'm looking for those rare tips where one doesn't have to sacrifice their quality of life and live like a pauper to save a few bucks.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I'm looking for those rare tips where one doesn't have to sacrifice their quality of life and live like a pauper to save a few bucks.
    That is the point though, cheap is a lifestyle that you have to want and embrace and be ready to comment on every activity about in terms of how much it costs you and why you are or are not doing something.

Why do we work? To have things we want.

Why once you've made your mind up to do something that is not a necessity do people have to then comment on how expensive it is or that it was not a good value for the money?

Being frugal and careful with your money is fine but being obviously cheap is bad. Why go our for dinner if you are going to order the least expensive thing on the menu and then complain about being able to make it better at home?

As for ways to save money that don't impact your lifestyle, return empties, have a change jar and role it once a year, things that are not important skimp on (no name toilet cleaner works fine, no name toilet paper not so much). Make concious decisons about what is important to you and spend you rmoney on those things first, other things can be put off.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i haven't read through this whole thread so someone might've mentioned this before, but one of the first things one needs to do is figure out where your money is going. once you know where you're spending your money then you can figure out where it is possible to cut back/save $.

i've tried to keep my eating out w/friends for lunch to once a week. that saved a bunch of $$.

i've also cut back on clothes. i get tempted by the 60% off sales on stuff that i don't need and didn't realize i was missing until i saw the sale. or those spend $50 get an extra $10 off coupons.

personally, i need to work on the saving up THEN buying something concept.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Nov 2012, 12:22 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 09 Mar 2011, 9:05 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Jan 2011, 2:38 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last post: 08 Oct 2004, 4:50 PM