Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Money Saving Tips Thread

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Shut off the Cable TV and watch the shows on line for free.

The biggest one that I can suggest is using the questions...
    “Is that the best price you can give me?” or “Can you call your manager and inform them that I want a better price?”

I also have used, “HOW MUCH, no, you’re going to need to do better than that or I am going to your competitor.”

When all is said and done, we would have saved thousands on our wedding costs. There is absolutely nothing that we have not been able to save money on.

I also suggest eating a snack before you go grocery shopping. It is amazing how much less food you will buy when your not hungry.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2005
    another one just popped into my head - want vs. need. when you see something you're interested in buying ask yourself, "do i NEED this or do i just WANT this?" i doesn't always work for me but sometimes it does or it makes me more conscious of my decision.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    another one just popped into my head - want vs. need. when you see something you're interested in buying ask yourself, "do i NEED this or do i just WANT this?" i doesn't always work for me but sometimes it does or it makes me more conscious of my decision.
    "You don't always need what you want."
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I'm looking for those rare tips where one doesn't have to sacrifice their quality of life and live like a pauper to save a few bucks.
    Dan, if you are really serious about saving money and I mean really serious. Just send me $34.99 and I will send you my book which is full of money saving magic bullet tips. No pain, just savings. Get rich the easy way!

Unfortunately, there is a fair amount of sacrifice in getting ahead. Next to haggling, doing without is the only way.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Cheap vodka in giant plastic bottles, mixed with generic sour mix.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    "You don't always need what you want."
    "You can't always get what you want."

i do it at the grocery store. "do i need food? yes. do i need $3.99 pepperoni and cheese bagel bites? no. do i want them? yes."
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Explaining this concept to someone who grew up wealthy and has done well for herself lead to me getting dumped for being cheap and no fun. This is why it is important to be able to choose what wants equate to needs when making decisons.

i now want and need to get my "good" haircuts and jeans. I no longer have the "want" nor "need" for as much music I've bought in the past.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Interesting thread......both the older posts (from the days when the thread was born) to the newer posts. What keeps gnawing at my thought processing module, though is this.....

Should we live every day of our lives like it is the last day of our lives? Should we worry about saving a buck here or a penny there, when sucking in dirt will end it all, anyway? Does one need to buy "stuff" to enjoy life? Can I accept a (seriously wrong) dude who spends money on a jacket that says "Dale Earnhardt" just because I spent the grocery money on a round of drinks at the local pub?
    _____

I know what to do. I just have trouble doing it because "living" keeps getting in the way.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    .....Should we live every day of our lives like it is the last day of our lives? Should we worry about saving a buck here or a penny there, when sucking in dirt will end it all, anyway? Does one need to buy "stuff" to enjoy life? Can I accept a (seriously wrong) dude who spends money on a jacket that says "Dale Earnhardt" just because I spent the grocery money on a round of drinks at the local pub?...
    For me (and I imagine many others), I'm not depriving myself. In fact, the frugal choices I do make are based on being in debt -- and not wanting to be. So I make [slight] sacrifices for the long term good. And if I die tomorrow, well, I can't imagine that I would be upset because I didn't buy that new car I wanted. But if I live to be 100, I hopefully will be pretty pleased at being totally debt free before retirement!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq View post
    I know it's ripe for sarcasm, but shaving is far more trivial than bathing. Bathing is a health issue. Shaving is a cosmetic issue.
    And that's why I don't shave my legs or armpits. I'm a hot lady.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    TMI Warning

Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    And that's why I don't shave my legs or armpits. I'm a hot lady.
    I guess considering RJ and I are both men and shave those parts it all works out even.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    TMI Warning

I guess considering RJ and I are both men and shave those parts it all works out even.
    I do not, repeat, do not, shave my legs. There is photographic evidence to support this claim. I refer you to slipper pictures. Now, The Oneless on the other hand, I think that's another story....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I can shave my face and legs in fewer than 15 minutes....closer to 5 minutes. And in the end, I feel better about myself.
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I do not, repeat, do not, shave my legs. There is photographic evidence to support this claim. I refer you to slipper pictures. Now, The Oneless on the other hand, I think that's another story....

I guess I misread the above post.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Article in my fair city's newspaper -

Print Headline: You can be proud if you're frugal
    Article link: http://www.frugalvillage.net/2007/11...f-it/#more-109

Highlights:
    You’re happily coasting along with your frugality and enjoying the money you’ve saved. Suddenly, you realize, not only are some people whispering around you, some are bold enough to make comments.
    What’s a frugal person to do when those around them are negative, spendthrifts or tossing criticism and comments?

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS: Know you’re not alone.
    STAND PROUD: Be proud of your frugality, not only because you’re saving money but because you’re wasting less and you know the difference between wants and needs.
    NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS: Don’t defend your lifestyle choices.
    I can identify with some of the points made in this article.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Read in Reader's Digest -

Tightwads feel guilty spending money.
    Frugal folk have fun saving.
    http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-ho...cle177541.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I got more money saving tips:

1) Negotiate all cable, phone, cell phone, and other entertainment type utilities. I got my DirecTV rate knocked down $40/mo, I save around $40/mo over the standard rate for cell phone, and currently get my internet at $25/mo cheaper than advertised rates. I've also gotten free equipment, phones, periodic $$ per month and free services for a period of months.

2) Netflix streaming. For $10 a month you get unlmited movie/blu-ray rentals plus unlimited streaming through your computer, a nintendo wii, xbox360, or playstation 3. Also, many new blu-ray and tvs can stream netflix. The value gets better every day as their library grows.

3) Get a deep freezer. I have a 7 cu-ft model. When frozen veggies are on sale, we buy nearly a freezer worth. Getting a pound of frozen green beans or corn at $77 vs. $1.50 makes a huge difference.

4) Buy rice, beans, and other grains. They nutrient rich, fill you up (not just with gas), and economical.

5) Craiglist.

6) Buy used vehicles, with cash (preferably) and drive until maintenance exceeds $100-$175/month. You'll get away with no car payment, cheaper insurance, cheaper registration (in some states) and usually insignificant maintenance....usually.

7)Used children's clothes at resale shops are a bargin. Kids grow so fast that they often don't have time to wear them out. Best for ages 0 through 6. After that, kids destroy clothes.

8) Pricematch. Comparison shop.

9) Go to the movies on weekends, in the AM. Usually you can see first-run films for $5 or less.

10) Buy tickets from scalpers at sporting events... but wait until after the game has started to purchase. The price gets cheaper...especially by the 2nd or 3rd inning of baseball games. Also, craigslist or stub hub.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    In my house we pay all the bills and put money into savings automatically every month. After those items are taken care of we buy what we want/need. I honestly don't understand the mentality of pinching every penny if it means you need to stress out about it. If we pay $100 for cable and internet a month but we're still saving several times more than that is worth arguing the semantics of "want vs need"? Why stress yourself out so much that life isn't fun?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    I got more money saving tips:

1) Negotiate all cable, phone, cell phone, and other entertainment type utilities. I got my DirecTV rate knocked down $40/mo, I save around $40/mo over the standard rate for cell phone, and currently get my internet at $25/mo cheaper than advertised rates. I've also gotten free equipment, phones, periodic $$ per month and free services for a period of months.
    Ok, how do you negotiate your cell phone bill? This is one bill that I can't figure out how to get lower considering it's my only phone. I'd love to have a way to start the conversation about lowering my bill...
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    1. When you get paid, take out an "allowance" for yourself in cold hard cash that will last you to the next pay period. Make as many purchases as you can with cash. Personally, I like to have at least $100.00 in single-dollar bills alone (not to mention it looks like you have a lot more money). If you buy something online or even a cut a check, make a note of it, and go to the bank the next day and deposit that cash. The goal is to be aware of where each penny is going and to sustain yourself ONLY on that allowance. I don't use credit cards (no credit card debt either) only debit cards. I also don't pay regular bills with this allowance though.

Going one step further, set up a savings account at the bank where you have a checking account. If you have direct deposit, have the bank wire transfer X dollars to the savings account. You are setting aside money for savings without even thinking about it.

My monthly net income: personal expenses (30%) + bills (including rent) (35%) + savings (35%).

2. Living on a strict allowance, I weigh one purchase against another for that two week period. Granted, I might loose money over the course of the year, but at least I am not constantly going back to the ATM for more money. For example, let's say it's 4 days until my next paycheck and I have X dollars to last me until then. I need a new razor blade. I am not going to buy a bunch of razor blades, even if they are cheaper, because that means less money to carry me for the next 4 days.

I have a shopping list set up on my iPhone where I schedule out purchases over several months (everything from toothpaste to a new bed). I tend to buy the same products and have a good idea how long each will last me.

3. Free money: rewards cards, 401k matching, etc.

4. Phone bill: I reduced my minutes from 900 to 450 (saved $20.00/month). Installed the Goolge Voice app (free) so I deleted my AT&T texting plan (saved $20.00/month). Now I pay only $80.00/month for my iPhone 3GS

5. Cable. Don't need it. I only watch DVR sitcoms anyway. I agree with Boiker, Netflix using a Wii is probably a better way to go.

6. Artwork (paintings/photography, etc.). Well, I am an artist so I create my own I guess I'm saving probably several thousand dollars easy. I could probably save more money stretching my own canvas and mixing my own pigments. Either way, it is a hobby that keeps me VERY busy for months at a stretch. The upfront costs for oil painting are pretty steep, but replacing individual supplies are very afforable, including artist (non-student) quality brushes, oil paints, canvases, and oil mediums.

7. Haircuts. I have cut my own hair for over 10 years, so I have probably saved thousands over that time.

8. CDs. Either sold them or threw them out a long time ago (didn't have many to begin with). I usually listen to Sirius ($2.99/month on my iPhone), Grooveshark (free), or if nothing better, Pandora (free). I have heard interesting things about filesharing (and that is my carefully crafted response for the Feds ).

9. Gym. Corporate discount. Saves me $5-6/month. Not like there are many alternatives here anyway.

10. Bill pay. I only use automatic bill pay for purchases that will not vary from month to month, such as auto insurance, gym membership, etc. Fortunately, I am paid every other Wednesday at midnight through direct deposit, so I can stagger my bills throughout the month as needed. I do not do bill pay for utilities, phone bill, internet, etc. especially if I have to dispute them.

11. Deposit for services. Cable, phone, and utilities are notorious for this. I have to do it for utilities since I have no choice. Anything else that charges me more money up front and then credits it to me back later is a waste of my time and money.

I'm looking for those rare tips where one doesn't have to sacrifice their quality of life and live like a pauper to save a few bucks.

That is really subjective, Dan. There was a published study a few years ago concluding that people's spending habits, regardless of their income, do not change significantly over the course of their career. I don't need a ton of money to keep me happy. I've quickly learned that even thoguh I earn much more than my last job, a $40.00 purchase is still very big for me. A day where I don't spend a dime is still a big deal. Life is too short to constantly be worrying about each dime, especially when you live well within your means.

Hope this helps-
    Last edited by nrschmid; 04 May 2010 at 5:16 PM.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    In my house we pay all the bills and put money into savings automatically every month. After those items are taken care of we buy what we want/need. I honestly don't understand the mentality of pinching every penny if it means you need to stress out about it. If we pay $100 for cable and internet a month but we're still saving several times more than that is worth arguing the semantics of "want vs need"? Why stress yourself out so much that life isn't fun?
    I think you are getting to the difference between being frugal versus being a tightwad. Tightwads stress about it, while frugal folks have some other motivation. It is worth noting that folks that are stressing because of job issues, etc. should not be considered tightwads.

For example, I have really cheap cell service by going in together with some relatives on a family plan. I'm not really doing it to save money (though my nephew in college may have that motivation); I feel like in some small way I've found a way to screw with their system because of a hatred I have for cell phone companies.

I also really enjoy finding a deal on something--like I enjoy the quest or something.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I also really enjoy finding a deal on something--like I enjoy the quest or something.
    I know what you mean about enjoying finding a deal.

The coffee shop I go to a couple mornings a week offers a "frequency card" which gives the 13th beverage free after the purchase of 12 other beverages. I like my over-priced, over-sugared, over-fattened beverages and the enjoyment they provide me at the time of drinking is greater than the enjoyment I would get by letting those few dollars accrue some interest in my savings account.

Anyway, I used to always purchase their 12oz drinks and would always look forward to the free 13th drink. Then they started offering coupons for $1 off if you bought the 16oz drink. What's the catch? They don't allow you to use your frequency card with the coupons. At first I was upset because to use the coupon, I had to buy a slightly more expensive sized drink and I was prohibited from getting a 13th one free.

And then I did the math!

My 12oz drink would normally cost $4.16. Over the course of 12 drinks, I would spend $49.92. Including the free 13th drink, I would have paid 49.92 for 156oz of coffee flavored fat and sugar. Per ounce cost: $0.32

If I use the coupon and buy the larger size, it costs me $3.59 for 16oz of the same beverage. After purchasing 12 of the 16oz drinks, I've spent 43.08 for 192 ounces. Per ounce cost: $0.22

I no longer express any displeasure at being unable to use the frequency card.

...And yes, I know that I could cut the junk out of my diet completely but let's not kid ourselves and say that will happen. Besides, I enjoy the company when I go in to their store as most of the staff knows me by name now.

I've also figured out what it would cost me if I were to purchase the smallest/cheapest size drink possible using the frequency card and then get the largest/most expensive drink as my freebie. I have yet to find any combination of drinks that makes this more economically sound unless I purchase 12 plain small coffees and then get a free extra large frozen blended drink. And if I want that, I'll just drink coffee at work for free and the savings from not purchasing those cups of coffee would be more than enough to purchase that big frozen drink.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Food Expenses

We've lived pretty decently on my cobbled together earning through the last four years of me being in grad school. Food is a big expense both in terms of grocery shopping and eating out and this is how we've managed it:

1. Start with the weekly ad from your consistently lowest priced grocery store. Look through it to see what kind of meats and produce are on sale.
    2. Make a menu for the week planning out meals around the items on sale.
    3. Make a grocery list. Always take it with you and shop from the list.
    4. Don't buy soda, bottled water, bottled juice, sports drinks-they quickly jack up the bill and really have little return. Frozen concentrated juice is much more economical.
    5. Try to shop just once a week. You spend more if you visit more frequently
    6. Find a bakery outlet for bread items, bread freezes up well.
    7. Buy some things in bulk, but only if it isn't going to go bad and you have room to store it-paper products, toothpaste, laundry detergent, etc. Share a warehouse club membership with someone else to split the fee.
    8. When thinking about the menu think about how you can use leftovers to make a new dish the second night.
    9. Take leftovers for lunch to work
    10. Lots of restaurants, especially local ones, have weekday specials and coupons that come in the Val-Pak coupon mailer. Limit your eating out to one meal a week.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Cheap vodka in giant plastic bottles, mixed with generic sour mix.
    Wow a visit from the old me; I'll do that even better. Quit drinking altogether. $1500/year saved, if not more.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq View post

If you're a millionaire, saving money is waiting a year to sell your stock so it's taxed as a Long Term Capital Gain rather than as a Short Term Capital Gain. If you're poor and living on minimum wage, saving money is saying no to the waste of advertising-created artificial needs such as shaving, smoking and teeth whitening. This is the basic problem with capitalism. When you look at the people at the top of the income scale, many of their expenses are merely a matter of course to grant them membership in their class, rather than being aimed at satisfying real needs and wants. When you strip away all the status symbols that are ruining the long term livability of the planet, the relentless pursuit of infinite wealth rapidly reaches diminishing returns in the level of innovation it spawns.
    Hi dobopoq, I do not know you and this post is 6 years old... but you are awesome.

Not sure I want to go through 6 years of tips but I am enjoying browsing this thread. It is quite funny.

My tip: live in Hawaii so you don't have to afford to go on vacation here

Registered
    May 2005
    Become a hermit.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Nov 2012, 12:22 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 09 Mar 2011, 9:05 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Jan 2011, 2:38 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last post: 08 Oct 2004, 4:50 PM