Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Addictive Craft or Hobbies

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Addictive Craft or Hobbies

We all have hobbies that when we get going our crafts or hobbies, may clear our minds or make us so frustrated we want to throw things. But to matter what it is, we always seem to come back. And many of us have several crafts or hobbies that when we are done, we are proud of our accomplishment and wish to share it with others.

For me, I love to rebuild cars, garden and landscape, and refinish wood furniture. (Pictures to come)

So I ask you, please share your hobbies or crafts that bring you some sort of pleasure.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've recently discovered enjoyment in building fishing rods. I gave my favorite trout rod to my youngest son last night. The estranged and I also collected wine (I got it all in the settlement, about 11 cases, hehehe), and it's headed to Florida with me.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2001
    My hobbies are: gardening, home improvements, computer upgrades W00T!!,
    storm chasing and general weather observation, cooking, photography.

Gardening: I have 6 pepper plants and 8 tomato plants behind my garage.

Home Improvements: I and Mrs. Boiker have painted nearly every room in our new house, stripped wallpaper off other walls. Previously, I've rewired, re-plumbed, with the help of my licensed pipe fitting father in law.

Computer Upgrades: Just installed a 8x DVD +- R/RW. I'm way behind on my box though...512mb ram, 80GB hd, AMD 1.5XP. my computer is about 2 years behind upgrades...that's 40 years in computer years.

Storm Chasing: Recently posted in "Tornados in Gedunkerland" my latest mini-adventure. But if there are storms, blizzards, floods, etc. nearby. I'm there to observe, photograph, and if need be, report.

Cooking: I don't think there is anything that Mrs. B and I like to do more than experiement with food. We google our dinner often.

Photography: I dabble in the art a bit. Mostly I take photos of what I see when I drive, houses, buildings, scenery, my family, etc. I'm starting to get it all figured out.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Am an avid gardener (obsessed with square foot gardening technique), have an obsessive/compulsive relationship with computer games, am a master homebrewer....I cut down trees. I eat my lunch. I go to the lavatory. On Wednesdays I go shoping and have butter scones for tea.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Am an avid gardener (obsessed with square foot gardening technique), have an obsessive/compulsive relationship with computer games, am a master homebrewer....I cut down trees. I eat my lunch. I go to the lavatory. On Wednesdays I go shoping and have butter scones for tea.
    we'll its obvious that "you're ok"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I'm a river rat. So my hobbies include canoeing and rafting, which also includes raft repair, off-season maintenance and repair of paddles, life jackets, my raft (Patches), etc. There is also off-season research of new river sections to try, wish-listing of new stuff (that my wife won't let me buy) etc.

I also like gardening and am trying to get more adept at home repair.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Hobbies I've been addicted to:

Baseball cards (I have every Topps complete set from 1977). I've got enough cards in my basement to open a store.

Genealogy (I have information on over 15,000 direct and indirect relatives).

Records (Collection gets bigger everyday).

Books (Collection gets bigger every other week).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by Maister

See what I get to deal with on a regular basis! The scary thing is he is ALWAYS like this!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

I love to oil paint but haven't had time since the little 'dunkers were born. Someday I'll get back to that, I hope. An extension of painting, IMO, is photography and I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new Nikon digital 35mm TTL, from my extensive collection of Canon (film) equipment. Digital imagery is just so cool.

Like boiker, I am nearing completion of an old house remodel -- in my case the never-ending kitchen project. A little more finish carpentry and wiring inside then I start installing new poplar wood weatherboard and 5/4 poplar window and door case. I am pretty proud of the work I've done on this, a much larger job than I ever thought I could handle. So much so, that I'm contemplating building my replacement garage in a couple years (or sooner if the old barn collapses).

I'd like to learn how to play the banjo.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Let's see:

Bicycling can be obsessive, although I'm not in as good a shape this year as I was a few years ago.

City hiking-taking my pack of dogs on a five hour hike up and down the hills in obscure parts of San Francisco (Glen Park, Ingleside Terrace, and Miraloma Park?) is pretty obsessive.

Architectural photography-mainly when I'm travelling, and haven't really done too much of that lately.

Collecting glass and pottery-dangerously expensive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Reading. 99% fiction, and I'm never without a stack of books close by. I become very unhappy if I can't read something fun every day.

In the summer, I absolutely must be at the beach every possible day I can.

I like to cook and try new recipes as often as possible.

No artsy/craftsy stuff for me.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Photography - have a Nikon FM (manual) with a 28mm, 50mm, and 75-150mm
    Dreaming of a Digital Nikon D70

Helping maintain Jersey Beach House.

Bicycling, but have not bought a new bike in 15 yrs. :-0

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Collecting glass - dangerously expensive.
    Driving back to NJ, I have stopped at Blenko Glass in Milton, WV, just off of I-64, I have given some pieces as gifts $$.
    Their website: http://www.blenkoglass.com/index.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Spring/Summer/Fall - Gardening - My gardens, however, are a hodge podge - I find different perennials I like and sometimes they don't quite match what I have, but I really like the plant, so I make it fit. And we just put our veggie garden in this weekend.

Winter - Like 8 million other women, I'm a scrapbooking addict. Also dabble in yarn crafts like crocheting and knitting.

OT:
    Boiker - is your avatar from Aqua Teen Hunger Force!?!?!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    OT:
    Boiker - is your avatar from Aqua Teen Hunger Force!?!?!
    That it is

also, Gedunker, I am planning on repairing/refinishing each of my old windows this year.. Pull them out, pull them apart, reassemble, reglaze, repaint, fix the weights, wax the sash to ensure smooth operation, and done! I think it's going to be a window a summer operation for the first 2...then I'll have the hang of it.

I've only got...hmm...27 windows to worry about.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You all know about me and cycling.

I also dabble in photography. Gedunker, you looking to dispose of any of you canon lenses(FD mount)? I've got a super cool 17mm and a super cool macro lens as well. Looking for some telephot or zooms.

I am also a book junie and when money permits a music junkie.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Driving back to NJ, I have stopped at Blenko Glass in Milton, WV, just off of I-64, I have given some pieces as gifts $$.
    Their website: http://www.blenkoglass.com/index.html
    Slightly
    Off-topic:
    JNA, Have you ever stopped at Zimmerman Art Glass in Corydon?

donk I do have FD mounts, all canons, with an 80-210mm zoom and an 18mm--55mm macro, along with wide-angle and standard 50mm. If I do buy the Nikon you've got first dibs.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Reading. 99% fiction, and I'm never without a stack of books close by.
    Yep, that's me !!!! EBAY is dangerous in this regard. I read 1 and purchase 2, the stack gets bigger.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Collecting glass-dangerously expensive
    Kosta Boda, Glass Eye Studio, and more! Scared for children to ever see it, let alone touch it.

Woodworking, car detailing, home improvement, computers, and reading round out the list for me.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Making Beer!

Odd music, outdoorsy stuff, other things to boot.

Why does work have to intrude on the important things in life?!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I wouldn't call my home renovation projects a hobby...more like an affliction. ALMOST finished the kitchen - the project got delayed a bit as we punched a pass-thru into the dining room. Just have the trim work to do and it's all done...finally.

Mrs. Tranplanner and I have discovered the joys of naturalized/native plant gardening. We're letting most of the yard just grow this year, to see what pops up. Also planted a nice veggie garden.

I've got a bike sitting in the garage that I want to fix up and start riding...

I'm a huge train fan, but haven't done much with this since we bought the house. The model railway is still packed away in boxes.

Reading, sketching and urban exploring round out the list.

Oh, and scotch. Can't forget the scotch - now that's what I call a hobby

I am an avid record/cd collector. I am not as bad as I used to be (weekly trips to a few record stores) because I moved away from the area in which they are located. I will get on a roll and search for certain bands and become obsessed with finding all of their releases and rareities. My collection is mainly older Metal, 50s and 60s rock, and punk/new wave. I also collect bootlegs of bands that I like - especially Radiohead (although a recent computer crash wiped out like 12 live concert bootlegs).
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Playing guitar. I had an old beater guitar a few years ago that my cousin gave me. I taught myself a couple of things on it, then lent it to someone and never saw it again. Then two and a half years ago I got a brand new one for Christmas (thanks baby!) and continued with the self-teaching (and a few lessons this past Christmas as a gift). I can get what almost sounds like music out of it now.

It is rewarding, though, when I try to learn something to play and I can notice myself getting it down better over time.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I sometimes rehab old furniture or make minor changes to existing furniture. For example, I changed out all the knobs on the bedroom set my sister gave me. I like the furniture but not the hardware. And my "new" bed is really my youngest son's old bed, but painted white and modified slightly to accept hubby's trundle underneath until he gets the heck out of my life.

I am also a bargain hunter and the hardware I put on my sister's old furniture was gotten at steep discount. I put between $200 and $300 worth of harware on the dressers at the homeless shelter. I paid between $20 and $30 for it.

I also like rearranging furniture and decorating "on the cheap", using creativity. Heck, even if I have money to spend on it, the creative part is the real draw. Rearranging the furniture makes my husband and kids nuts. But my husband told me at some point that he has become more tolerant of it since he realized it is something I do when I am under stress and it calms me. I guess having the house rearranged "four times per day" (according to my biggest critics: hubby and eldest son ) is worth the price if it means I don't hit the ceiling when I am upset. :-}

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Slightly
    Off-topic:
    JNA, Have you ever stopped at Zimmerman Art Glass in Corydon?
    No, I have not.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Today I was out doing a site visit and it made me recall another sort-of hobby. Beginning this year every time I got on a site visit I pick up a rock and take it home with me. I am making a border for the strawberry patch in our yard.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. hobbies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 09 Apr 2014, 4:11 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Oct 2013, 2:25 PM
  3. Hops shortage = craft beer crisis?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1