Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All my studying paid off

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

All my studying paid off

I learned yesterday that I passed the drug screening test required for my next job. This is the only time I've been required to take such a test as a condition for employment.

Has anyone else had to pass a drug test as a prerequisite for employment? Anyone subject to random testing on the job?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No drug test here. Maybe the union reps decided that it would cruel to expect us to remain drug free considering the nature of the job.

In fact the only time I was required to take random drug tests was the summer I worked as a courier for this company run by a bunch of Colombians.

shhhhhh. we are all supposed to but there's this little thing called the personnel policy that states that only cdl drivers do. I'm not a cdl driver, so i have refused to go pee in a cup until they amend the policy. nobody's ever called me on it. i'd pass with flying colors, but it is the principal of the thing. shhhhhh
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2001

drug screenings

i've been tested for it seems every job....even my internships.

I've passed every time. phew.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I had to piss in the cup for just about every job, most the time with some old bag watching me. Lol of course I passed, im a square.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2003
    I once had to go to a local testing lab after I was offered a job out of state. The woman lead me into the men's room and into a regular bathroom stall and insisted on standing right outside the stall door. Sorry ladies, but I can't make water with one of you within such close proximity. Besides, what did she think I was gonna do? Pull a phantom sample out of my pocket? Flush my weed? She eventually realized that nothing was gonna happen if she hung around, so she finally left the men's room (where she don't belong, anyway) and I was finally able to meet my prospective employer's requirements.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    I had to piss in the cup for just about every job, most the time with some old bag watching me.
    Ewww. I've never had to do that. I don't think it's standard practice here, thank goodness. Not that I'd have any trouble passing, of course!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Wooo WHOOOOO!

Dont you just love forced morality and the fact that the ENFORCERS of that morality make you pay($) ?

There is something to be said for iconoclasts and thier efforts. We need more of it these days. And to think I thought my professors were still living in the 60's when I heard them say that.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I was subject to random UA's when I had my CDL. But the interesting part of that was that once they did one then they couldn't re test again for six months. So the defiant person I can be...had a get out of jail free card so to speak.

There is something about being required to provide a sample that just makes me furious. Not that I am doing anything that woud cause me to fail one. It is the whole distrusting attitude. Oh I feel a new thread spinning off.....
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The only places where I've been required to take a drug test were grocery stores and the oil change place I worked at. Everything in an office setting has been drug [test] free. Heck, my last employer was a dot com... if they had done drug testing the whole creative department would have been gone. I almost expected them to institute drug testing to make sure the designers and animators WERE taking drugs.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Wow - I've never had to have one for a planning position. I don't think it would be legal except for certain professions (airline pilot, etc.). The only time I ever had a drug test is when I joined the military.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Has anyone else had to pass a drug test as a prerequisite for employment? Anyone subject to random testing on the job?
    I had to take a piss test -- really, a full-blown physical -- for a job in Colorado, but noplace else required it. We always joked that if you wanted to get a job in Boulder County, passing positive for drug use, specifically "the kindbud", was a prerequisite.

I'd be concerned if you're on any stimulant-based medication for ADD, since it may cause a positive reading on a drug test. Don't forget the lesson of the Seinfeld episde when Elaine ate a poppy seed bagel before a drug test.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hee. I had to take one for my current job, only they didnt tell me until after they offered me the job, I accepted, and put notice in at the old place.

I prolly shouldnt say this here but WTF... 5 months prior to that time I partook of the herb for the first - and only - time in my life. I was scared shatless that my life was ruined. Behold. It was, but not for that LOL.

Study? Nope. Cram? Yes!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    not out of the ordinary for govt. jobs in Florida
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I've had to be a doping control volunteer at mountain bike races before. At those events we have to see you pee.

Not a fun job to do. it is really embarrassing for all people involved.

And get your minds out the gutter, men do men and women do women and there is a chaperone present plus any person the testee wants. I've heard of female tests with 4 people in a stall.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    And get your minds out the gutter, men do men and women do women and there is a chaperone present plus any person the testee wants. I've heard of female tests with 4 people in a stall.

Donk, my friend, that does NOTHING to get my mind out of the gutter.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    ....I've heard of female tests with 4 people in a stall.
    Did anybody get pictures?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    We have pre-employment medicals that include urine tests for diabetes but we do not screen for drugs.

I have a draft policy on my desk at the moment coincidentally (dreamt up by a regional group of Council HR Managers and Union reps) that proposes random screening for drugs and alcohol. I've known it was coming and flagged that I want to know what thay envisage we will do with positive results for illegal, recreational drugs when the person is not under the influence in the work place. My concern is we find a child care worker smokes MJ occasionally on the weekend but is always sober on the job. We have an unwinnable public relations nightmare in not sacking the perpetrator and in my opinion a no-win unfair dismissal case if we decide to do the police's job for them.

Of course this remains unaddressed so I plan to tell them their policy is BS.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    NOT required for work but
    as a diabetic I have blood drawn every 3 months for HbA1c
    Q. wonder if they test beyond what Doctor ordered ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    When I first came to this juridiction 9 years ago, I had to have a full physical (even eye/hearing exams) at (ick, ick, ick) the county health department. After the physical, all the new potential hires had to change into hospital gowns and wait our turn to go into the bathroom and produce a sample. I assume the gowns were to eliminate any hiding places for substitute samples. It was gross and embarrassing.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Once to semi-protest being tested for a crap job in a nowhere town by busy bodies I missed the cup for several seconds in their pristine carpeted bathroom. The cup they got back was...um....damp...on the outside. I was popular with the urinenazis after that. I had just come out of a job where I worked with a Top Secret Security Clearance because worked on nuclear bombs, and podunk Kansas was worried I'd get stoned and fail to properly catch a water sample. Well the first one was all wet

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Always been drug-tested/background checked for governmental/public sector. When I worked at a private firm, no drug test. In-tah-ressss-tink..... B-)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have had a drug test for almost every job... except the one I'm in now.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    It was a requirement for city employment so I had to go through it.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I have yet to be required to have one for any of my places of employment.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. paid to learn?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 21 Jun 2007, 11:17 PM
  2. Getting bills paid by the City
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 03 Feb 2005, 9:13 AM
  3. Paid planning commissioners?