Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Is this ANGRY enough over a rezoning ?

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    curiosity
    Posts
    23,037

    Is this ANGRY enough over a rezoning ?

    "Zoning issues can be contentious at times, and that's what happened." RMN

    From the Denver Post
    Granby 'dozer rampage terrifies mountain town
    Saturday June 5,2004
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...193848,00.html

    "Something snapped": Suspect called emotional, angry over rezoning fight
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...193850,00.html

    From the Rocky Mountain News
    Rampage guts Granby
    http://www.insidedenver.com/

    "All the buildings Heemeyer targeted had a connection to a heated zoning dispute going back to 2000, which involved the rezoning of land adjacent to Heemeyer's muffler shop."

    RELATED...
    News 4 video: Bulldozer rampage in Granby :-0
    Last edited by JNA; 05 Jun 2004 at 7:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    I was the video on last night's news, and the little kid in me was pumping a fist in the air and yelling "YYYYEEEESSSSSS! AWESOME!"

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    10,075
    Oh great, these are my new neighbors?

    Sadly, we all probably know one or two people like this (except for donk, who knows dozens of them). We had a local who didn't think his welding shop needed to be on city sewer or septic. We have people who were disgruntled at being told they could not store as many junk cars on their lot as they liked. We have people who were told they needed to clean up their properties. Some handle it well. Others think we are out to get them. There is one guy in the city who holds a grudge against me because of something my predecessor's predecessor did fifteen years ago.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

  4. #4
    Cyburbian boiker's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    West Valley, AZ
    Posts
    3,895
    In my experience, the level of grudge and vengence that these individuals hold is inversely proportional to their economic level. The higher their economic class, the less the revenge factor.

    After hearing this story, Mrs. B said, "I know your brother is a federal police officer for the BLM, but all of a sudden your job seems to be riskier."

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,861
    Haven't we all encountered someone who we've wondered might go postal over a zoning decision? I once found myself alone in the elevator with the guy who carved the giant butt statues (see "Quirks in Your Community" thread under Cities and Places) and my only thought was "Oh s%%t, hope he doesn't recognize me". He's a powder keg. I've seen too many people in tears during zoning hearings over the years, I can see how the frustration gets to them.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian sisterceleste's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    No Where Man
    Posts
    1,519
    At my first planning job, I worked with the board of zoning adjustment and one day some looney did not get his variance..stormed out of the boardroom and five minutes stormed back in...We thought he had a gun and all of us hit the floor fast. He didn't have a gun but he was pointing something at us...he was quickly removed by the police. No hazardous pay that day, but I deserved it.

  7. #7
    Cyburbian donk's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2001
    Location
    skating on thin ice
    Posts
    6,964
    As cardinal inferred do you really want me to play the trump cards?

    I only wish they made the local news, but where I was that type of behavior was considered civilized.

    Just remember kids a bouncing burning tire can solve all land use (or other conflicts)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

  8. #8
    Cyburbian H's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MKS
    Posts
    2,847
    I am actually surprised backlash (less severe, of course) doesnt happen more often over (percieved) property rights. I certainly have seen the look in people's eyes who want to do it.

  9. #9
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    8,281
    Blog entries
    1
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    "Zoning issues can be contentious at times, and that's what happened." RMN

    From the Denver Post
    Granby 'dozer rampage terrifies mountain town
    Saturday June 5,2004
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...193848,00.html

    "Something snapped": Suspect called emotional, angry over rezoning fight
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...193850,00.html

    From the Rocky Mountain News
    Rampage guts Granby
    http://www.insidedenver.com/

    "All the buildings Heemeyer targeted had a connection to a heated zoning dispute going back to 2000, which involved the rezoning of land adjacent to Heemeyer's muffler shop."

    RELATED...
    News 4 video: Bulldozer rampage in Granby :-0
    JNA:

    Having spent some time in another Colorado jurisdiction where a crazed heavy equipment operating citizen did the same thing (almost exact same thing, also murder) .....(Park County/Alma- 1998), I'm not surprised at all. On a related note, is anyone aware of any studies of rural populations and the prevalence of mental illness....particularly at altitude ? It doesn't help matters that another town in the same county elected a cat or was it a dog as mayor.....

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Duke Of Dystopia's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    JNA:

    ........ On a related note, is anyone aware of any studies of rural populations and the prevalence of mental illness....particularly at altitude ? It doesn't help matters that another town in the same county elected a cat or was it a dog as mayor.....
    I don't think the guy was crazy. He snapped, but I thin there was a good healthy push given by those he had been in conflict with.

    When he lost his appeals to prevent the cement plant, It sounds like the village found a way to get back at him through code enforcement. But of course, it had NOTHING to do with the fact he faught the cement plant that really might not have belonged there (it was rezoned for residential and light commercial to industrial). Of course, he needed a sewer easement of 8 feet from the cement plant, that they would not give to him, so he had trouble staying in business. He bought the bulldozer to put in an alternate driveway to his business. But again, he had made enemies, so they wouldn't grant him that and he had to eventually lease out his space to somebody else.

    I Think there was small town payback being applied to this guy. It happened out west so they MUST be crazy right? The guy was pretty selective about what he went after, and there is no way any village would EVER try to get involved in personal paybacks right? (Paragraph spoken in GREAT sarcasm)

    I want to see the design of this bulldozer in better detail. He really did a good job of putting that thing together. Covered it in grease to make it difficult to climb on (I thought this was a very great touch), as well as going to the effort of protecting armoring the exhaust outlets. I am thinking of a new Junk Yard War episode!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

  11. #11
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    8,281
    Blog entries
    1

    Design Modifications

    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    I don't think the guy was crazy. He snapped, but I thin there was a good healthy push given by those he had been in conflict with.

    When he lost his appeals to prevent the cement plant, It sounds like the village found a way to get back at him through code enforcement. But of course, it had NOTHING to do with the fact he faught the cement plant that really might not have belonged there (it was rezoned for residential and light commercial to industrial). Of course, he needed a sewer easement of 8 feet from the cement plant, that they would not give to him, so he had trouble staying in business. He bought the bulldozer to put in an alternate driveway to his business. But again, he had made enemies, so they wouldn't grant him that and he had to eventually lease out his space to somebody else.

    I Think there was small town payback being applied to this guy. It happened out west so they MUST be crazy right? The guy was pretty selective about what he went after, and there is no way any village would EVER try to get involved in personal paybacks right? (Paragraph spoken in GREAT sarcasm)

    I want to see the design of this bulldozer in better detail. He really did a good job of putting that thing together. Covered it in grease to make it difficult to climb on (I thought this was a very great touch), as well as going to the effort of protecting armoring the exhaust outlets. I am thinking of a new Junk Yard War episode!
    Yes, he did improve on the "ALMA" Design from 6 years earlier.... Maybe this bulldozer design can be called the "Granby" design? The next one will be called the "M-1 Abrahms", oops me thinks that one has been used...ha ha ha.... Yes, small town politics can be dreadful and certainly have included the type of actions you mention... BUT if he just "snapped", he wouldn't have spent 2 months preparing his tank...er dozer....(read the 2 month thing in the papers? true?)

  12. #12
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    8,281
    Blog entries
    1

    Fun Forum?

    It seems to me that any comments made on a forum called "Friday Afternoon Club" should automatically be considered tongue in cheek, flippant, lighthearted, sarcastic or any of the other synonym for the aforementioned words....unless clarified.....if not, maybe this topic should have been in the more serious "Zoning" thread above...? I absolutely think this event can spark SERIOUS discussion on related rural planning issues.....

    What say administrator.....am I on track with this comment.....

  13. #13
    Cyburbian SGB's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Champlain-Adirondack Biosphere Reserve
    Posts
    3,387
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    He really did a good job of putting that thing together. Covered it in grease to make it difficult to climb on (I thought this was a very great touch), as well as going to the effort of protecting armoring the exhaust outlets.
    He also designed it with a clear intent of never exiting it alive. One news account reported he welded himself in.

    Yet another reason why municipalities must have well thought and effective crisis managment plans.

    One town office I worked in was on the second floor, with only one way in or out. Not exactly a safe environment when "clients" got angry.

  14. #14
    About eight years ago we had a rash of four called-in bomb threats. The first three were all to the Mayor's office and we exited the building in a calm but quick manner until the PD and FD searched the place and gave the "all clear". They didn't even tell us about the fourth one until the FD/PD arrived and they were p****d off that nobody had evacuated us (the call apparently went to a county official's office). We were slightly miffed as well

    I don't even want to imagine what would happen with a bomb threat post-Sept'r 11.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Duke Of Dystopia's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    It seems to me that any comments made on a forum called "Friday Afternoon Club" should automatically be considered tongue in cheek, flippant, lighthearted, sarcastic or any of the other synonym for the aforementioned words....unless clarified.....if not, maybe this topic should have been in the more serious "Zoning" thread above...? I absolutely think this event can spark SERIOUS discussion on related rural planning issues.....

    What say administrator.....am I on track with this comment.....
    Thats what graphical smileys are all about!

    Personally, I really would like to see how he put this bulldozer together. I have always had a fascination with armored vehicles (thats how I ended up as a tanker in the army ). A sports car is a complete waste of time and money in my opinion and I could not care less if a person thinks they are cool cause they have one, but I am transfixed by this bulldozer.

    As far as the sheeple in Granby, they probably did need the jobs the cement plant braught, but if you screw with somebody bad enough, why do people act surprised when they get pissed and fight back?
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

  16. #16
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    8,281
    Blog entries
    1

    D-11

    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Thats what graphical smileys are all about!

    Personally, I really would like to see how he put this bulldozer together. I have always had a fascination with armored vehicles (thats how I ended up as a tanker in the army ). A sports car is a complete waste of time and money in my opinion and I could not care less if a person thinks they are cool cause they have one, but I am transfixed by this bulldozer.

    As far as the sheeple in Granby, they probably did need the jobs the cement plant braught, but if you screw with somebody bad enough, why do people act surprised when they get pissed and fight back?
    My favorite dozer was the D-11 :-P , did they ever make a D-12? :-0 (simply huge)

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Duke Of Dystopia's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    My favorite dozer was the D-11 :-P , did they ever make a D-12? :-0 (simply huge)
    I don't know, I am not normally into construction equipment, but once he turned his bulldozer into an armored vehicle with a capability for effective operations out of the realm of construction, I was hooked!

    I want to know the following things:

    1) Did his concrete anti-armor piercing concrete have rebar in it.
    2) If he somehow protected the track from things like log or iron poles to prevent the track from being thrown from the sprockets (it would have been effective at stopping him).
    3) Did he armor the engine compartment to prevent the engine from being ruined (molotov cocktails managed to disable many a russian tank in 1968 (?) in checkoslovakia).
    4) How did he modify his exhaust system to prevent the flash bang grenades from disabling the engine.
    5) Being the only man in the vehicle, did he double up on the amount of armor plating used on the top of the vehicle (typical armor design saves weight by using a thin sheet of armor on the top and bottom.

    Other interesting things to think about:
    1) Shows like Junk Yard Wars, robot wars, etc... show what you can do if you have access to good junk. Does this mean that people are learning how to upgrade a potential weapon by being entertained?
    2) Should SWAT teams be taught how to disable armored vehicles.
    3) Nobody in Granby had military experience with tanks and knew thier vulnerabilities? There hand to be a grunt with an IQ of 30 somewhere in the bunch!
    4) With a little more inventiveness, how much worse could it have gotten?
    5) Didn't the guy have any friends that told him this was NOT a good idea?
    6) When the sherif saw the thing go by his office on the flatbed truck, don't you think he should have went and investigated BEFORE the ruckus could have gotten started? It obviously was NOT your standard dozer!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

  18. #18
    Cirrus's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2003
    Location
    DC / Arlington
    Posts
    299
    ... Further blurring the line between South Park and reality.

  19. #19
    Cyburbian el Guapo's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Samsara
    Posts
    5,077
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    ...Yet another reason why municipalities must have well thought and effective crisis management plans...
    ANNOUNCEMENT
    Next week I become the sole liscensed distributor for the X-1150 General Dynamics - Municipal Rampage Suppression and Managment System (MRSMS - pronounced Misses - Miz) With the City Hall Package a town gets two mobile launchers, one fire control panel, six missiles with a six-year shelf life, a trainer missile and 15 NiMH AAA batteries and a charger. The Metropolitan Package is the same, but with six more missiles, another fire control panel, and a Predator 3 platform.

    Thank you for purchasing one of our many high quality General Dynamics Local Government Products. Disclaimer: Tax, title and licensure of a Class 3 Anti-Tank Missile System is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and not that of the General Dynamics Land Systems Division of General Dynamics or its parent companies. Anti-Tank missiles are dangerous and should not be operated after the consumption of alcohol. While no missile is 100% effective against all targets, General Dynamics does offer a money back warranty on all missiles that fail to hit their target provided that a General Dynamics inspection team is notified 72 hours before any launch. Missiles have been know to kill bystanders in large numbers. Ensure that no humans are within 1.85 killometers of both the launch site and the target area to ensure a safe target engagement for everyone.

    Missile systems are not for export and should not be left unattended, especially near airports or large public gathering places, and for sure nowhere near presidential motorcades.




    See el Guapo for all your rampage suppression needs.

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Duke Of Dystopia's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    ANNOUNCEMENTb]
    Ahh come on Guapo! Aren't you the least bit curious as to how he put that thing together and to wheather or not you could make improvements?
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

  21. #21
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ????
    Posts
    1,184
    I wonder if he bought the concrete from the concrete plant that he was pissed off about.

  22. #22
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,592
    Update on this Story

    There's even a small pic of the machine for you DoD!

  23. #23
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    I don't know, I am not normally into construction equipment, but once he turned his bulldozer into an armored vehicle with a capability for effective operations out of the realm of construction, I was hooked!

    Other interesting things to think about:

    4) With a little more inventiveness, how much worse could it have gotten?
    In high school, my social group was into potato guns. We built several with 200-300 meters of range, and one that shot arbitrarily-shaped objects (handfuls of ice cubes, for example) about 20 meters.

    I can therefore imagine this having gotten much worse.

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Duke Of Dystopia's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally posted by monkeyflower
    In high school, my social group was into potato guns. We built several with 200-300 meters of range, and one that shot arbitrarily-shaped objects (handfuls of ice cubes, for example) about 20 meters.

    I can therefore imagine this having gotten much worse.
    Built a few of those myself but never got that kind of range!

    Aquanet Hairspray seemed to have worked better than other propellents for me.

    Its lucky the guy did not have a CO2 beer system, it occured to me that it would have been easy to create a flame thrower. He could have rampaged longer by not getting stuck in the building.

    I am WAY to OBSESED with this guys armored bulldozer!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

  25. #25
    Corn Burning Fool giff57's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 1998
    Location
    On the Mother River
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Aquanet Hairspray seemed to have worked better than other propellents for me.
    Try adding a small squirt of starting fluid to the aquanet
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 39
    Last post: 04 Oct 2014, 11:18 AM
  2. Replies: 52
    Last post: 03 Nov 2008, 11:48 PM
  3. How Angry Is Your City?
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 11 Oct 2006, 11:41 AM
  4. The Angry Postman
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 26 Sep 2003, 4:14 PM