Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wedding planning resources

Registered
    Aug 2001

Wedding planning resources

Well Elmo and I set a date for our wedding this weekend (March 20, 2005), so now the insanity begins. I know there are quite a few other couples getting ready to take the big plunge, so I was hoping that you could share your resource tips. Any really good wedding planning sites, magazines, etc. that you can recommend? Nine months away seems like a pretty short time...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!

Being the groom I'm not really the best source for wedding tips (my participation in the planning didn't go much beyond picking out my own tux). I do know however that the very-soon-to-be Mrs. Biscuit used The Knot for a few ideas, and that she has remarked that hiring a wedding planner would have been well worth the cost. Good Luck....BME is gonna need it

Registered
    Dec 1998
    That time will creep up on you like nobody's business. The Knot and The Wedding Channel are two of the best resources out there. Try not to buy too many bridal magazines. After a while they all start to get really repetitive - same ads, same articles, etc., yet they are very addictive. I can't seem to stop buying them. Also, try to go to as many bridal shows as you can. Not only will you be able to meet a lot of vendors and kill lots of birds with one stone, you'll be able to register for door prizes, free honeymoons, etc. BEK and I have won a few things from some of the shows that we've attended, but we're still waiting on our free honeymoon trip to come through. Happy planning!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 1997
    Elope now while you still have the chance?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I found indiebride.com to be a welcome respite from all of the lacy glurge in the other wedding magazines/sites. Also, Martha Stewart Weddings , for relatively glurge-free stuff, although the etiquette recommended is frightening. I wouldn't worry about the wedding planner. We handled ours w/out one, and granted, it would have been nice, but being the control freak I am, and Mr. Plannerbabs being the same way, it probably would have doubled our work. Besides, if you can plan cities, you can plan a wedding. (the hard part is doing it at the same time).
    Good luck! The next 9 months will fly by, and during the week leading up to the ceremony, you'll feel as though there are a dozen things that absolutely have to be done. Don't worry about it. At that point, the momentum of the day takes over, and everything will be fine, even if it's not exactly as planned.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    Elope now while you still have the chance?
    Heh... we were on that track for a LONG time... but we wanted to try to get Elmo's kids involved and that's difficult if it's out of the area. We're doing the next best thing though... a low key wedding at our house. (Plus, that's an excellent reason to repaint the interior of the house this summer... yay... a new nagging tool!)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    I wouldn't worry about the wedding planner. We handled ours w/out one, and granted, it would have been nice, but being the control freak I am, and Mr. Plannerbabs being the same way, it probably would have doubled our work.
    That was my response to the fiancee after telling me a planner would have been nice. She is such a perferctionist and a control freak that that I told her she probably would have fired the poor wedding planner a week into the process. She doesn't always find me very amusing....

One positive that has come from all of her hard work (other than getting to marry me of course :-P) is that she has decided on a career change and will now work torwards becoming an event planner. I think she would do a bang-up job of it.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I loved The Knot - and since I got married, they've made all sorts of upgrades. My SIL is using their site to manage the guest list - which is an awesome tool, and task, considering their guests are coming from about 20 states and 2 countries (the Groom is Quebecois).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    BEK and I have won a few things from some of the shows that we've attended, but we're still waiting on our free honeymoon trip to come through. Happy planning!
    We won a free honeymoon trip to Bermuda.

...and couldn't go because the rules stated we had to use it months before our wedding, and we both couldn't take extra time off from work. They weren't very easy to deal with.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Hm, I guess the Knot is okay but beware of the chat areas- it's all blowing sunshine and fake (and then there are the trolls).. but for general info I like the Wedding Channel the best.

You also have a PM...
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks so much for all the tips! The wedding itself will probably easier than rounding everyone up from all over North America. It's going to be a challenge, but it will be fun to have all of our family in one room! I'll have to check out that guest tracking thing that Downtown was talking about.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Congrats Nerudite!

Mrs. Tranplanner used a Canadian site...babbling brides or something like that. It was okay on getting some tips and background on some perspective vendors (e.g. we were able to find out what DJ NOT to use). Most of the site was pretty glurgy/catty though (from what I say). Mrs. Tranplanner didn't make many friends there, I know that.

We pretty much organized our own wedding and it went alright. It turned out great!

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Heh... we were on that track for a LONG time... but we wanted to try to get Elmo's kids involved and that's difficult if it's out of the area. We're doing the next best thing though... a low key wedding at our house. (Plus, that's an excellent reason to repaint the interior of the house this summer... yay... a new nagging tool!)
    Yeah, and I can't wait to start nagging her to start that painting....

Registered
    May 2004
    You guys gotta stop talking about weddings.....My girlfriend see's the word and she goes into a frinzy......I told her why not just cut the program a little and save a few years.....I'll give her all my stuff and move.

Bob

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Don't forget that Wal-Mart has a wedding registry.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2004
    A perfect wedding plan:

Marriage at the court house: $5 ...filling fee

Reception dinner at the service station: $4.50 in burritos

Honeymoon in the car: $9.99 for a good CD

Cold beer in a cooler: Priceless

Bob

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Congrats,

As many of you know I recently got engaged in April, our wedding is planned for September 2004, yup 2004. We're in love an don't want to wait, (sorry for getting all mushy and crap on ya) and from what we've heard the the longer the engagement, the more you spend and the more likely you are to change your mind and make the same decision more than once. With our quick schedule, you have to make the decision and go with it or else your outta time.

I don't have any really good tips since I don't know what is in your area. If you want I was in charge of doing a lot of calling and getting info, then I reported back to Ms. PBD and we would select two or 3 people to meet with then make a decision.

If you want to help this was a great way and didn't really require you to make any tough decisions like, colors, flower type and things.

I was responsible for DJ, Photography, Reverand, and Cake. I lined them up, then we visited a few and made a joint decision.

Happy Planning and expect to spend between $20,000 and $25,000

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    We're using our house as the venue partly to save money. We won't have to pay for a church or a hall that way. We agreed to keep the guest list very small (or else we would definitely need a larger venue), so fortunately we're going to be able to keep it quite modest.

We would like to emphasize, though, that our house will hold MANY gifts, so don't worry about being extravagant when you're shopping for us

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay

Heh... I'm going to probably get by with 1/10th that cost. It will be a very simple wedding in my house. And only 25 to 30 guests maximum. I'll know everyone at my wedding, and they all know my casual nature. Since this is Canada, I'll have to make sure to keep the bar well-stocked.

The hardest thing to do will be to find a photographer and wedding officiant to marry us at midnight, which is the time of the actual ceremony.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Don't forget that Wal-Mart has a wedding registry.

It took 15 posts to achieve / reach Sam's Law. :-0
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    BEK and I have won a few things from some of the shows that we've attended, but we're still waiting on our free honeymoon trip to come through.
    Winning prizes rules! I wish that we could also win a nice house.

Congratulations Nerudite!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Heh... I'm going to probably get by with 1/10th that cost. It will be a very simple wedding in my house. And only 25 to 30 guests maximum. I'll know everyone at my wedding, and they all know my casual nature. Since this is Canada, I'll have to make sure to keep the bar well-stocked.

The hardest thing to do will be to find a photographer and wedding officiant to marry us at midnight, which is the time of the actual ceremony.
    Have a close friend get ordained on the internet and have them marry you, then it's free!

Weddings are expensive. I don't want to even think what we could be doing with the money.. but I'm really glad we'll have that day to look back on (and when else can I wear a beautiful white dress, tiara, and veil?)
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    Have a close friend get ordained on the internet and have them marry you, then it's free!

Weddings are expensive. I don't want to even think what we could be doing with the money.. but I'm really glad we'll have that day to look back on (and when else can I wear a beautiful white dress, tiara, and veil?)
    I've been thinking about that... I went to a friend's wedding once where their friend was ordained, and he did a pretty crappy job at the vows and stuff. Remember Rowan Atkinson from Four Weddings and a Funeral? It was worse than that. So that may be a last ditch effort if we can't find anyone.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I've been thinking about that... I went to a friend's wedding once where their friend was ordained, and he did a pretty crappy job at the vows and stuff. Remember Rowan Atkinson from Four Weddings and a Funeral? It was worse than that. So that may be a last ditch effort if we can't find anyone.
    Inside Joke: Pastor Hugo? lol

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    I think my elopement cost about $200. That included the wedding bands, taxi, dinner and a movie.

Given my elopement, I am probably the last person on the planet to suggest wedding resources. However, coincidentally, the business website I am overhauling has a lot of customers doing "theme" weddings and she has a page of links. I have been debating all afternoon whether or not to toss this out there because, well, the site isn't ready but my page of her links is a lot better than her page of her links. Anyway, here is the page of links, for whatever it is worth (and I am no judge of their worth, being so NOT into the wedding thing): http://eclogiselle.com/feet/merchants.html (That site is non-functional -- just sample pages. If you actually wanted to purchase anything from her, her website is at: http://www.fancyfeetsandals.com/ )

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jul 2007, 7:13 AM
  2. Rumpy's Wedding Planning Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 Jun 2007, 10:06 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 6:20 PM
  4. Comp. planning resources