Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PODS - Portable On Deman Storage

Registered
    Jul 2003

PODS - Portable On Deman Storage

A recent article in Governing magazine about PODS has me concerned for my city. We don't have a problem with it, yet. I'd like to end it before it even begins. Does anyone have a model ordinance to prohibit this type of storage in residential areas?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've asked this question before. http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...rtable+storage
    my community at the time voted to just ban them in residential areas. No permits, no time frames.

They are normally intended to be dropped off for 24-48 hrs.. filled and then taken to a storage site. Other times they are dropped off and 'rented' until the resident no longer needs them.

Often they are placed in driveways (eliminating required parking) or in front yards (storage structure in the required yard).
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Sorry for the repost, but I see no repsonse was given to your earlier post. Maybe be can get some ideas this time.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Pods

Sorry , our code allows PODS :

a) Portable storage units for on-site storage. There shall be no more than one (1) portable storage unit per site no larger than eight (8) feet wide, sixteen (16) feet long and eight (8) feet high. No portable storage unit shall remain at a residential district in excess of thirty (30) consecutive days, and portable storage units shall not be placed at any one site in a residential district in excess of thirty (30) days in any calendar year. No portable storage unit shall remain at a site in a nonresidential district in excess of thirty (30) consecutive days, and portable storage units shall not be placed at any one site in a non residential district in excess of thirty (30) days in any calendar year. It shall be unlawful for any person to place, or permit the placement of, one or more portable storage unit(s) on property which he or she owns, rents, occupies or controls without first having obtained a permit therefor. Application for a permit shall be made to the zoning administrator on a form provided by the zoning administrator. The zoning administrator shall determine the most appropriate location for the portable storage unit to be placed on site. A permit fee in an amount to be established by resolution of the city commission shall accompany the application. The issuance of a permit shall allow the applicant to place portable storage units on the property in conformance with the requirements of the chapter. The permit shall be posted in plain view at the site.
    (b) Removal of portable storage units in the event of a hurricane warning. Notwithstanding the time limitations set forth herein, all portable storage units shall be removed immediately upon the issuance of a hurricane warning by a recognized government agency. If the community development director determines that an emergency, other than a hurricane warning by a recognized government agency, provides sufficient cause to exceed the time limitations which would otherwise apply, the community development director may allow a portable storage unit to remain at a site for a period in excess of such time limitations. If the community development director determines that placement of a portable storage unit at a site where new construction is taking place will not adversely impact the surrounding community and is otherwise appropriate, the community development director may allow a portable storage unit to remain at the site for a period in excess of the time limitations which would otherwise apply.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Here is how we would have regulated tham at my old job

VEHICLE BODIES
    3.1.15 No motor vehicle, tractor trailer, traction engine, road building machine, farm tractor other heavy equipment, or any vehicle drawn, propelled or driven by any kind of power shall constitute a dwelling unit. Whether said equipment or vehicle is operational or not.

3.1.16 Except within any Industrial, Rural or Highway Commercial zone, no vehicle body or trailer shall be used as a building or for storage, and then only in conformity with the provisions for buildings, structures and accessory buildings.

I'd also look at your definitions of accessory structures and buildings. They probably preclude the placement of them through the use of language related to design characteristics and subordinate uses. The final way that I'd attack this problem is on signage associated with unit itself.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Most construciton jobs use them, commerical or residential. It offes an effective way to store expensive materials and tools on-site. I agree that they should not linger or become a shed, but I don't see a problem with their use.

Where I think they pose a bigger problem is with retailers. Our firm works with clients who are planning for thier use. They use them to store layaway merchandise and seasonal items, Christmas anyone? I have personally seen 40 containers at one store. Most jurisdictions here are allowing them by special use so time length, placement, and appearance can be evaluated. Yuck!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Sorry , our code allows PODS :
    your code was very very similar to the one I proposed, and got denied. I figured if we could review them on a temporary permit basis we could at least monitor and regulate their use.

my rationale was.. if you can store a 30x10x8 foot RV or a 25 ft boat in your drive, you should be able to temporarily utilize one of these metal cargo containers. The temporary cargo container is no more offensive as a temporary metal dumpster on residential property
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2004

Pods....

Does your community have temporary use permits for various uses (seasonal sales, construction trailers, special events)? If so, you could require it to have a temporary use permit, which is granted by the city council or administratively. Then you could require a site plan with the application so you could control the location, as well as the duration.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    It looks like I have been given the go ahead to draft an ordinance to limit or eliminate the use of portable storage units. Wish me luck.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    The temporary cargo container is no more offensive as a temporary metal dumpster on residential property

I was able to "sneak" in provisons to eliminate this as well during the last set of revisions at my last job. The only exception was if a building permit was issued then they were permitted.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2002
    In the accessory structure section of our code, we say:
    "Vehicles, trailers (semi-and/or utility), manufactured housing, and mobile homes shall not be used as a storage building, utility building, or other such uses."

It has been administratively determined that those cargo/ship container things fall under this definition. While they may not seem offensive for 30 days (and more than a few of the subdivisions here find them offensive regardless of how temporary they are!), we have had them permanently erected on site before, as well as old mobile homes being used for junk storage, so had to make this provision.

To complicate things a bit, we do allow them on active commercial job sites, but only until C.O. The big boxes are allowed to keep them on site as long as they are well screened in the rear of the building.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 10:40 AM
  2. Hello from PODS
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 5:27 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 9:10 AM
  4. portable storage units -edited
    Land Use and Zoning