Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Forgotten parts of the cities?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Forgotten parts of the cities?

I know that there are web sites out there, I just donít remember any of them. Each city has places that for one reason or another have just been left abandoned, neglected, or covered up. I donít know of any in K-Zoo yet, and only know of one in Portage. What are some of the forgotten parts of your city? (or that you know of from other cities) Pictures and web links would be helpful.

Mine is a former building on an industrial lot where only the footings remain and they are just about surface level, and mostly covered with grass and tress.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The old industrial section along the Buffalo River is still one of my favorite parts of the city that is mixed with abandoned buildings from the past as well as existing buildings from the past that still function.

I like the grain elevators the best, like archaic dinosars lost in time. Yet you can still feel the ghosts that haunt them.

Now that summer is here, I'll have to get out the rope and go down and take some pictures. Better bring the machete too (to cut through the weeds, not bodies).
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    I like the grain elevators the best, like archaic dinosars lost in time. Yet you can still feel the ghosts that haunt them.
    I thought I read somewhere that someone had nominated an abandoned elevator to the National Register of Historic Places. That true?
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what Iíve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874Ė1963) (From Harperís Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    I thought I read somewhere that someone had nominated an abandoned elevator to the National Register of Historic Places. That true?
    I know that the Great Northern Elevator is a local landmark, I'm not sure if they were applying for a National designation or not. I looked but couldn't find if Concrete Central is designated for National or not. I know it is locally, but I'll keep digging.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 1998
    What is this "abandoned" stuff? We have three operating elevators in town, four more just out of town, then one evey ten miles along the two railroad lines. Several city hall workers are off for the wheat harvest.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 130
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 1:16 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 29 Mar 2011, 5:42 PM
  3. Parking generation: auto parts store
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 9:24 AM
  4. Replies: 31
    Last post: 10 Mar 2006, 2:08 PM