Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sleep Issues…

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Sleep Issues…

Well, it happened again. I had almost a full night without getting any sleep. The few times that I did fall asleep, I would have dreams about my car full of those bugs that only come out every 17 years, or about waiting for hours and hours for a train to fully go by so I could get to work.

Anyone have any tips on how to get a normal nights sleep? I eat right, I stay active, and control my stress... yet it does not seem to work.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Well, it happened again. I had almost a full night without getting any sleep. The few times that I did fall asleep, I would have dreams about my car full of those bugs that only come out every 17 years, or about waiting for hours and hours for a train to fully go by so I could get to work.

Anyone have any tips on how to get a normal nights sleep? I eat right, I stay active, and control my stress... yet it does not seem to work.
    I have a theory as to why you have not been sleeping the last night or two....but I shall withold comment as this is a family-friendly forum and, besides, many of us have just finished eating lunch. Let's just chalk it up to nerves.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    :-P Stop drinking :-P B-)
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    :-P Stop drinking :-P B-)
    NAH, DRINK MORE!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I have a theory as to why you have not been sleeping the last night or two....but I shall withold comment as this is a family-friendly forum and, besides, many of us have just finished eating lunch. Let's just chalk it up to nerves.....
    Oh oh oh... can I guess?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No television or radio at bedtime. Just books. Or subdivision regulations.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    If there is something on my mind -- "bugging me" -- I will write in my journal or hash it out with a friend or family member. Processing whatever is occupying my mind gets me to sleep faster than anything else.

Also, it is generally bad policy to lay in bed and "stare at the ceiling". If I am not asleep within 15 to 20 minutes, I get up out of bed and go do something else -- watch TV, surf the Internet, exercise, etc. Your bed should be for two things and two things only. That helps your mind and body expect sleep to ensue when you are in bed alone.

HTH.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Sounds a little goofy, but those yoga DVD's for "Evening Stress Relief" really work. 1/2 an hour of contortions and soothing music, and I'm out for the night. Does it almost every time.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Your bed should be for two things and two things only.
    Sleeping and making the bed, right?

Oh.
    Well, that makes three things, then.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Two words...Tylenol PM

I am also prone to sleepless nights as a result of being overly neurotic and generally having a guilty conscience. Tylenol PM works wonders. If that doesn't help a stiff drink or four should.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Too much anticipation for arrival of a kiwi?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    Too much anticipation for arrival of a kiwi?
    Bet you've hit the nail on the head.

I'm with MZ. Don't stress over it. For the last several months, I've been waking up and staying up for a couple hours in the middle of the night, 3-4 nites a week. If I just stay in bed, the sleep anxiety grows and gets worse, so I read or watch CNN until I can't stay awake any more.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Sleeping and making the bed, right?
    No: sleeping and wrapping up in a towel and blanket and sweating (and napping) after my nightly hot bath to stave off ER visits and new rounds of antibiotics. Hubby's bed is for Conjugal Visits -- until he moves out, hopefully later this year. :-P

Back on topic: I also took Co-Q10 in the morning when I got up and melatonin half an hour or so before bedtime while my body adjusted to trying to sleep without any drugs in my system. I think my sleep would still be massively messed up if I hadn't helped it along with those, which are NOT drugs, they are nutrients and naturally occurring brain chemicals. Even if I didn't really sleep, having the melatonin in my chemical-deprived brain helped me to feel rested.

HTH.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Let's just chalk it up to nerves.....
    Looks like michaelskis just got ...

Seriously, my circadian cycle tends to make me nocturnal, and I've been thinking about checking out a sleep clinic.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Well, with tonights news, I will let you know if I sleep like a baby tonight, or it I lay awake wondering....
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Seriously, my circadian cycle tends to make me nocturnal, and I've been thinking about checking out a sleep clinic.
    This may have nothing to do with your issues but this was one of mine: mold and mildew are more active at night, so if you have allergies/respiratory problems and there is any kind of mold or mildew problem in your home, it can make you prone to insomnia at night. That was a factor in me being up all night for 18 months. Sleeping means your defenses are down and the lights are out. Turning the lights on is "hostile" to the mold and mildew and sleeping during the day when the mold and mildew is also "sleeping" means you aren't assaulted as badly. So if you find any kind of mold or mildew problem, declare war on it. See if that reduces the degree to which you are a nightowl.

Just a thought. :-}

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Do you wake up naked in a zoo on those rare nights you do get sleep?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Do you wake up naked in a zoo on those rare nights you do get sleep?
    This is Budgie on Queen B's computer. I find it interesting that you mention a zoo in this thread. During my childhood I had a recurring dream of me and my younger brother running naked through a zoo with a monstor gorilla chasing us. I've woken up at least 3 times with the thought that a giant monkey was ramming me up the postetier. Moments of a normal childhood that turned ito a not-so normal adulthood.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    This is Budgie on Queen B's computer. I find it interesting that you mention a zoo in this thread. During my childhood I had a recurring dream of me and my younger brother running naked through a zoo with a monstor gorilla chasing us. I've woken up at least 3 times with the thought that a giant monkey was ramming me up the postetier. Moments of a normal childhood that turned ito a not-so normal adulthood.
    Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Just make sure the Dallas police shoot it in time in your next dream...sorry, that was uncalled for.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    We have video surveillance tapes for our yard...since our neighbors dogs killed our cat. We have to review the tapes.....which are pretty dulll...since only about 10 cars pass our house during the day. The critters trigger the motion detectore...so we call it squirrel cam. Put one of those babies in on fast forward.... and it puts you right to sleep...which makes it really hard to review. Like watching grass grow.... and the sun/shade cross your yard.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Am I the only one confused, or at least out of the loop?

Anyhorn, hope your sleep gets better :-}

Registered
    May 2003

Good Stuff

I've enjoyed reading all of these posts as I've suffered the same malaise. About a year ago, I started waking up at 3 am. I tried everything - gave up my beloved coffee for herbal teas, upped my workup routine, talked to the doc - nothing made a difference. [I'd like to say that I end up like the Jeff Goldblum character who suffers the same condition in the movie, In To The Night where he's fortunate to meet up with Michelle Pfeiffer but, no dice.]

It seems it's an age thing - I'm 51 and apparently have reached a threshold where I don't need much sleep as I did.

The resolution? Listen to the BBC and surf over to Cyburbia!

[Oh, and brew another pot of coffee, now that drinking it or not drinking it doesn't make any difference.]

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Talking in their sleep
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 8:58 AM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 14 Feb 2010, 6:46 PM
  3. Sleep Survey
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 20 Oct 2005, 2:08 PM