Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: ArcGIS 9.0

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

ArcGIS 9.0

Well, we are getting Arc GIS 9.0 soon. I was wondering if anyone as used it, what should I expect, what problems will I look forward to dealing with, and what are your thoughts on the program. Also if you have any tips to make it work better, please let me know.

Thanks
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    My opinion, if you are using Arcview 8.3 now, there is not much of a difference at all. Though we have had it for about 2 weeks here, I havenít had much time to use it do to other projects we have going on and my boss is leaving, which is keeping me busy. 9.0 comes with some countrywide information that I have found pretty interesting: demographics, major roadways, train stations, airports, and other such information us planner geeks like.

Some notable differences:
    1. GPS feature allows you to link a GPS system to upload coordinates.
    2. New selection tab allows for quicker access to changing selectable layers
    3. You have to delete 8.3, or I just couldnít figure a way around it.
    4. Labeling options are more simplified.
    5. If you select a feature during a query, and then turn the query off, the selection goes away. (it stayed selected in 8.3, so this is one of my pet peeves because I liked that feature)
    6. Quick font interface at the bottom for labeling purposes.

Iíll think of some other stuff eventually that Iíll post later.
    ďAhh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm still messing with it, but so far I like it. The annotation enhancements are the most useful new features, IMHO. One caveat: any geodatabases you create in 9.0 are not backward compatible with 8.3. I believe you are able to use 8.3 geodatabases in 9.0 without being required to upgrade them. However, once you do, you cannot go back. So, back up everything, and make sure that every ArcView seat is using the latest version so that there are no compatibility problems.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what Iíve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874Ė1963) (From Harperís Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Will it work well with .dgn's from Micro Station?
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've got it, but have been waiting to upgrade until some of my neighboring cities get Arc 9. We swap a lot of information back & forth with other govts, so I don't want to deal with compatibility issues. Does anyone know if Arc 9 is set up so you can save data in Arc 8.3?

The one thing I've heard is coming back is a built in flowchart wizzard for those of us that perform operations and then forget what we did. Flowcharts are also handy for presentations.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I've got it, but have been waiting to upgrade until some of my neighboring cities get Arc 9. We swap a lot of information back & forth with other govts, so I don't want to deal with compatibility issues. Does anyone know if Arc 9 is set up so you can save data in Arc 8.3?

The one thing I've heard is coming back is a built in flowchart wizzard for those of us that perform operations and then forget what we did. Flowcharts are also handy for presentations.
    Another person that I know that uses it said that he is having problems with trying to get it to be reverse compatible, and once it upgrades it will not go back.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    OK... So drove the 2 1/2 hours to Novi today (in a city car ) to a ESRI Arc GIS 9.0 seminar. It was very informative, and I learned some great things. First of which is to get the program to work how it should, you will need to buy all the extentions, second is that a centralized single fully useable Geo-database is not practical. Third was I now understand why it was free.

I did get several useful tips, and seeing some of the new functions that it can do with the modeling, it will save me a lot of time, but the 9.0 Desk top is just scraching the surface. The real power is in all of the extentions that you have to dish out the extra cash for.

Oh and because the scrip is different from 8.3 to 9.0, they are not reverse compatible. Also the flow chart wizard thing rocks!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    OK... So drove the 2 1/2 hours to Novi today (in a city car ) to a ESRI Arc GIS 9.0 seminar. It was very informative, and I learned some great things. First of which is to get the program to work how it should, you will need to buy all the extentions, second is that a centralized single fully useable Geo-database is not practical. Third was I now understand why it was free.

I did get several useful tips, and seeing some of the new functions that it can do with the modeling, it will save me a lot of time, but the 9.0 Desk top is just scraching the surface. The real power is in all of the extentions that you have to dish out the extra cash for.

Oh and because the scrip is different from 8.3 to 9.0, they are not reverse compatible. Also the flow chart wizard thing rocks!

Gotta love planned obsolescence! Once ESRI has you, they have you forever! The are THE FIRM - lawyers were just a colloquailism that Grisham could make the common man understand for books and movies!

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    One other problem I came across was some VBA scripts do not work for ArcGIS 9. After time we realized that the ArcObject libraries have changed! So far, I've come across little reason to have called it "9.0" when 8.4 would have sufficed. But perhaps after using ArcInfo 7.x & ArcView 3.x & then jumping to 8.x maybe I was expecting too much.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The only issue I've had so far is that some of the tools I use have been moved around.
    All of the applications I had written in 8.3 had no problem working when I upgraded to 9.0.

I do a lot of ArcIMS work and I couldn't tell any difference after I upgraded to 9.0 from 4.0.1

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Attribute Table corrections

If anyone still reads this thread, I have this to offer.
    ArcGIS9 was briefly introduced to me this morning and after working on 8.3 and other older versions, this seems similar to 8.3. However, working on planning development maps with v9, makes it easy to add data and manipulate data tables.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    If anyone still reads this thread...
    I still read this thread, (because we are going to be upgrading our systems after the 4th...

Thank you for your input! Maybe we should see if we could get someone from ESRI on here to share in the toppic, answer questions, and provide us with some insider information on how to work the program like they want us to.

Registered
    Apr 2005

arcgis projects

hi, im a colege student and our school just purchased arcgis 9.0
    i was wondering if there were any quick start tutorials to analyse networks using arcgis 9.0

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Buffer Button....

When our IT people installed Arc 9, the buffer button went away....there was panic in the office.....cats and dogs living together.....oh those were scary times .....then we found it again and all was well......
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ajnar
    hi, im a colege student and our school just purchased arcgis 9.0
    i was wondering if there were any quick start tutorials to analyse networks using arcgis 9.0
    I thought there was a primer included in the box - anyways, you will need a geodatabase (personal will suffice) & you will likely have a lot of work to confirm that everything is snapped. You will then create a geometric network (right click in the dataset) in arccatalog & then in arcmap edit the data with the geometric network toolbar.

Or something like that....

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Will it work well with .dgn's from Micro Station?
    Yes, ArcGIS reads them in fine. 9.0 has several methods to import them (read directly, import to geodatabase, import annotations to gdbase, export from CAD, etc.), which are a little confusing. If you're just using them for making a map, don't bother converting them. If you need to do analysis or create new datasets with them, import all the 'feature classes' to geodatabase.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS PC laptop specs for ArcGIS
    Information Technology
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 May 2013, 12:12 PM
  2. GIS ESRI ArcGIS 10
    Information Technology
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 05 Dec 2012, 10:52 AM
  3. GIS ArcGIS for home use program
    Information Technology