Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Welcome To Cyburbia's Newest SubForum

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061

    Welcome To Cyburbia's Newest SubForum

    Welcome to Cyburbia’s Newest Sub-forum, “Citizen Planners”, created June 14th, 2004

    Background
    Some months ago, a friend of mine commented that she wanted to find an online discussion forum for community activists like herself. My recent discussion with one of our newer members, Maximov, in the thread “I'm new here; hi! Commercial growth in my rural town” reminded me of the need for such a forum. I do not know if one already exists elsewhere but I feel strongly that having such a forum on Cyburbia – the premiere planning forum, with more than a thousand members already – will have a synergistic (or value-added) potential that an ‘activist only’ forum would lack.

    Last week, I began exchanging e-mails with Maximov and introduced her to my friend in New Mexico. I ran my idea past them and they were enthusiastic. I promptly began drafting a proposal per Dan’s outline of requirements. I proposed “a discussion forum for community activists, concerned citizens and others involved in the planning process of their communities who do not do this professionally”. My thought is that this also includes elected officials in small towns and rural communities who get little or no compensation, such as commissioners, part-time Mayors, and similar – people on the fringe, "para-professionals", doing planning without a safety net.

    Vision
    While community activists and other concerned citizens often lack the specialized training and education that is common to the professional community, they may have a wealth of personal experience “in the trenches” – like my friend in New Mexico, who has been doing this kind of work for more than 10 years. Her successes are hard-won and she has accomplished a lot, with no budget, no formal training, and no authority. Obviously, community activists would benefit from having some feedback from professional planners. But I believe the professionals might learn more than they expect. Community activists accomplish things in a different manner from professional planners but they do accomplish many things.

    I hope that this forum will promote genuine communication, better understanding, and sincere respect between two groups who often interact only in confrontational situations: the professional planners and the citizen activists. Additionally, this new forum might serve to bridge the gap between the technically proficient, formally educated professionals who dominate Cyburbia and the concerned citizens and others interested in the built environment that are formally welcome here but who usually have little to say outside of the Friday Afternoon Club.

    Sincerely,

    MZ
    (Your Newest Moderator)

  2. #2
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Welcome to Cyburbia’s Newest Sub-forum, “Citizen Planners”, created June 14th, 2004

    Background
    Some months ago, a friend of mine commented that she wanted to find an online discussion forum for community activists like herself. My recent discussion with one of our newer members, Maximov, in the thread “I'm new here; hi! Commercial growth in my rural town” reminded me of the need for such a forum. I do not know if one already exists elsewhere but I feel strongly that having such a forum on Cyburbia – the premiere planning forum, with more than a thousand members already – will have a synergistic (or value-added) potential that an ‘activist only’ forum would lack.

    Excellent!!! I'm going to both send out individual announcements to the folks who are involved in the Neighborhood Planning unit system in my part of Atlanta, and more generally publicize it among the most active folks. If you'd like I'll put an announcement on my blog about it also (it's read by a pretty good share of people in the categories you mentioned).

    There is a lot going on in the trenches here in Atlanta.

    Larry

  3. #3
    Cyburbian statler's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    450

    Nice!

    Hey, this looks great!

    Maybe now I can spend time on Cyburbia again (I was feeling a little out of place). Hopefully this will catch on. Good luck!

    On the down side, I'm in the process of moving out of a neighborhood I love into a town that, at best, I'm ambivalent about, so it might be a while before I really start to care enough to become involved.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

  4. #4
    Quote Originally posted by statler
    Hey, this looks great!

    Maybe now I can spend time on Cyburbia again (I was feeling a little out of place). Hopefully this will catch on. Good luck!

    On the down side, I'm in the process of moving out of a neighborhood I love into a town that, at best, I'm ambivalent about, so it might be a while before I really start to care enough to become involved.
    But then again there is no such thing as bad human habitat. Just opportunities for urban renaissance.
    Last edited by Larry Felton Johnson; 15 Jun 2004 at 9:05 AM.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    9,890
    Oh my lack of god! MZ has moderator powers?! B-)

    ( )
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

  6. #6
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,507
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Oh my lack of god! MZ has moderator powers?!
    Just in this sub-forum. Chris Steins and Perry Norton are moderators in their respective subforums (PLANetizen, Perry's Corner), but they seldom if ever use their mod powers. (Which reminds me ... I have to give Mastiff mod powers in the CFFL forum.)

    Most of the other mods are "supermods", and have moderator powers in all forums.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  7. #7

    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Between Growth & Decay
    Posts
    367

    Great!

    [QUOTE=Michele Zone]Welcome to Cyburbia’s Newest Sub-forum, “Citizen Planners”, created June 14th, 2004

    M.Z. - good direction for Cybubia and count me in! I think you'll find a lot of folks [like me] who are interested with the planning profession and allied topics but are not practitioners of the "art." This will provide a platform for those discussions. Thanks!

  8. #8
    This is a great idea!

  9. #9
    Cyburbian el Guapo's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Samsara
    Posts
    5,075
    Brilliant!

  10. #10
    An idea whose time has come!

    When I teach citizen planners here, I try to get them to understand that communities and neighborhoods are organic: they have life cycles. As Cyburbia is also a community, it too has to be organic. I am glad to see it growing in this way so that it does not become static and irrelevant.

    Good job, MZ!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Thank you, everyone.

    Larry (and anyone else), if you want to publicize it on your blog or elsewhere, I can give you a link that will give you credit for a "referral" if people use that link to sign up. I have already sent such a link to a friend of mine and I expect to send it to a local group with which I recently hooked up. No reason others can't get credit as well.

    Yeah, Cardinal: scary, isn't it? I bet you would have never predicted this. :-P

  12. #12
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Thank you, everyone.

    Larry (and anyone else), if you want to publicize it on your blog or elsewhere, I can give you a link that will give you credit for a "referral" if people use that link to sign up. I have already sent such a link to a friend of mine and I expect to send it to a local group with which I recently hooked up. No reason others can't get credit as well.

    Yeah, Cardinal: scary, isn't it? I bet you would have never predicted this. :-P
    That would be good. You can either send me the link on my private messages here or send it to me at larryfeltonj (at) bellsouth.net

    (edited by MZ to make the e-mail address less legible to the spambots)
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 15 Jun 2004 at 3:19 PM.

  13. #13
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Now that I am more awake and remembering where I left my manners , I would like to thank Maximov and Quijote (aka "my friend in New Mexico") for letting me hash this out with them when it was in the idea/draft stages, and Dan for approving it and setting it up in such a timely fashion, in spite of having a job and a life.

    I would also like to thank giff57 and NHPlanner for coming on board as moderators of this new sub-forum.

  14. #14
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,534
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I would also like to thank giff57 and NHPlanner for coming on board as moderators of this new sub-forum.
    No problem. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of discussions ensue in this sub-forum.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  15. #15
    Corn Burning Fool giff57's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 1998
    Location
    On the Mother River
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone

    I would also like to thank giff57 and NHPlanner for coming on board as moderators of this new sub-forum.
    No problemo

    Good luck, I hope you bring us lots of new members.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    Congrats on this new - and welcome - addition to the Cyburbia community.

    I predict great success for this subforum, and a lot of interesting debate and discussion to boot.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,482
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Congrats on this new - and welcome - addition to the Cyburbia community.
    I predict great success for this subforum, and a lot of interesting debate and discussion to boot.
    Ditto what Chet said.

    I find this subforum very promising because
    the county to the north of me does not have county wide planning or zoning
    and is now the home of a Toyota plant and in the future the anticipated impact by I-69
    I can see them asking/looking for help
    so thus this forum.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  18. #18
    Cyburbian Plus PlannerGirl's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    4,604
    Welcome and good luck!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

    Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

  19. #19
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,842
    This sub-forum is an excellent addition to Cyburbia! Thank you MZ for getting this set-up!!

  20. #20
    Member
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Santa Fe
    Posts
    15
    Hey, MZ, thanks to you! Great to see all the responses! Quijote

  21. #21
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Now that I am more awake and remembering where I left my manners , I would like to thank Maximov and Quijote (aka "my friend in New Mexico") for letting me hash this out with them when it was in the idea/draft stages, and Dan for approving it and setting it up in such a timely fashion, in spite of having a job and a life.

    I would also like to thank giff57 and NHPlanner for coming on board as moderators of this new sub-forum.
    I am thrilled about this. Thank you, Michele and Dan and NHPlanner and giff57- can't wait to start picking brains!

  22. #22
    Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    427
    So is this the forum I can complain about my neighbor building his deck a full half foot into the easement?

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    So is this the forum I can complain about my neighbor building his deck a full half foot into the easement?
    I think that depends on whether you want to figure out what to do about it or just rant. Rants about stuff like that seem to be pretty common in the FAC.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 94
    Last post: 31 Jan 2014, 5:03 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Apr 2008, 1:33 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last post: 08 Apr 2004, 9:39 AM