Urban planning community

Poll results: Should we have a live draft?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 38.46%
  • No

8 61.54%
Closed thread

Thread: Live draft?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Live draft?

Let's settle the issue of a live draft. I think we need to have one. We can pick the time for everyone to sit down and pick. I even did one at midnight last year. Everyone I'm sure has a computer at home, except me. I can use my work computer or go to my inlaws. Probably will take a few hours, then it's done. The draft last year took way too long. So let the poll decide.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    There's no way I can predict being around for any length of time given my night meeting schedule and the time zone differences for all of us.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I like the idea of a live draft, but I second NHPlanners comments. Ill go with no and hope that everyone works to speed things up this year.
    Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

I'm good with a live draft.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I didn't particular care for the live draft, but I'm amenable to either.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    My preference is for having a live draft, but if it conflicts with others' schedules I'm amenable to this season's draft being conducted like last season's.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    We got it done last year... A little prodding here and there, but we got it done.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Like NH, I can't predict my availability for any length of time. If worse comes to worst I'd give Mastiff permission to draft in my name (thanks Mastiff!).

I like the idea of a live draft. I do believe that yahoo has a feature where you can do a live draft and those who cannot attend can rank players. 2 years ago I was in a draft like this. 5 of us were present and 5 were on auto-draft.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    I like the idea of a live draft. I do believe that yahoo has a feature where you can do a live draft and those who cannot attend can rank players. 2 years ago I was in a draft like this. 5 of us were present and 5 were on auto-draft.
    I would like to see something like this with like 12 hour limit or it is ranked and picked for you. As long as its faster than last year. That was agonizing.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    I would like to see something like this with like 12 hour limit or it is ranked and picked for you. As long as its faster than last year. That was agonizing.
    I have a better idea... The "Viking Policy". Once the clock is set for your team, that's when I post "SO and SO is now on the clock..." they have a 12 hour window to make a pick. Unless they have made a previous arrangement with me (or someone else to proxy for them if they have to go on an extended absence), they get skipped.

When they realize the "skip", they can jump in and grab an available player, but if 10 teams have picked since their time ran out... those 10 players are not available.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    With sixteen teams and a 12 hour time limit, this is going to take forever. I still want to encourage a live draft. Like was said before, auto pick is enabled if someone cannot make the live draft. We can all make time to be at a live draft, regardless of where we live. If it has to be done, anyone can be there. All that has to be done is for instance, say on August 15, at 8 pm Eastern, the draft starts. A Sunday night - nobody has work meetings on Sunday night. That means what you have scheduled that night is completely your choice. Let's do the live draft. It is much more fun watching it unfold over a few minutes than days and puts the pressure you to pick.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    With sixteen teams and a 12 hour time limit, this is going to take forever. I still want to encourage a live draft. Like was said before, auto pick is enabled if someone cannot make the live draft. We can all make time to be at a live draft, regardless of where we live. If it has to be done, anyone can be there. All that has to be done is for instance, say on August 15, at 8 pm Eastern, the draft starts. A Sunday night - nobody has work meetings on Sunday night. That means what you have scheduled that night is completely your choice. Let's do the live draft. It is much more fun watching it unfold over a few minutes than days and puts the pressure you to pick.
    I don't care either way... I'll be at a live draft. But "auto draft" puts a team at a disadvantage. I hate 'em. I'll never be in an "auto only" draft again...

Registered
    Dec 1998
    If I'm not mistaken, we had an auto draft for the first season when NHPlanner was commish.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    If I'm not mistaken, we had an auto draft for the first season when NHPlanner was commish.
    Yes, we did.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am not really for alive draft either, but will do it if the majority wants to.

I know that doing it live, it still might take me 15-30 minutes to make up my mind about who to pick.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Yes, we did.
    NHPlanner, for the most part, were the first-season participants satisfied with auto draft?
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Big Easy King
    NHPlanner, for the most part, were the first-season participants satisfied with auto draft?
    There weren't any complaints that I recall....lemme dig up the old thread.....

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1575

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    There weren't any complaints that I recall....lemme dig up the old thread.....

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1575
    Problem #1 - We decided on a rookie draft. Anyone on autodraft would have to put those players on DO NOT DRAFT, or they may end up with a player they can't have.

Problem #2 - Autodraft SUCKS THE SWEAT FROM AN OBESE HOBO'S NAVEL! Seriously, if people want a live draft where people who don't make it get autodrafts, fine... but no autodraft for me. I draft on my needs, and also how other people have drafted. 1 person on auto screws me up, but I know I would be very unhappy with a computer selected team.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 25 Aug 2011, 4:18 PM
  2. New Live Draft Poll
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 13