Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking for some ballpark figures......

Registered
    Feb 2003

Looking for some ballpark figures......

.....on pedestrian bulbouts (curb extensions) and utility relocates.

A few months back, I asked for links to good pedestrian bulbout site and you guys came through for me like champs. Thanks again.

Now, I'm wondering if any cyburbanites have managed a project that is maybe similar to mine:

-Pedestian bulbouts at a four-way intersection. One bulbout at each corner (four total, although if the cost is too high, I may just go for two total). The area is flat and (at the suggestion of a fellow cyburbian) I plan to construct grates over the existing surface drainage facilities so as to not have to do much relocating.

-Relocating four utility poles and overhead wires from Main Street to the parallel alley about 100 feet away. (A total run of about 400 feet). (Remember, ballpark figures are just fine (the darn utility people can't seem to give me a useable number in time for my grant app. deadline))

Thanks for any input that you may have to provide.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Well, 30 views so far and no input. I'm still hopeful that I'll get at least one response (besides my own, of course) but maybe my question is not really answerable given the large number of variables involved with a project like this that will ultimatley affect the overall cost.

Somebody throw me a bone.....c'mon.....maybe a fellow michigander.......

Registered
    Jul 2003
    It is Friday night. You aren't likely to get much response over a weekend. Here is your bone: Wait until Monday to start beggin.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    While many of us may have been involved in such projects, I doubt you will get much help from us in estimating costs. Construction costs are highly variable across the country, and any information I might give you would not be helpful. You might contact the city engineer or review a recently bid project to see what unit costs they quoted. As for the overhead wires, the cost will vary considerably based on the capacity of the wires. Don't forget the telephone and cable TV, and any other utilities that may be suspended, and remember that when you relocate the wires, individual private services will also need to be relocated. The local electric company should be able to give you a cost estimate of relocating their service.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Thanks for the feedback.

I figured as much.

Oh well, onward and upward......

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 17 Sep 2009, 2:54 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Oct 2008, 4:35 PM