Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Zoning: an organic perspective

Registered
    Jul 2003

Zoning: an organic perspective

I posted this in the FAC earlier today and realized a while ago why I found it so fascinating and I decided that it would be a good read for the type of folks who might drop by here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...carollloyd.DTL

It is about the way that an "incidental city" -- which springs up every year around an art festival -- is zoned and managed and why.

Registered
    May 1997
    Thanks for posting this. It is quite wonderful.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    Thanks for posting this. It is quite wonderful.
    I thought so too.

I like it because it reminds me of how interior design of my own home has evolved in the last 3 years. Our lives were very difficult for all those years that I attempted to live a "normal" life. When I and my son finally recieved appropriate medical diagnoses 3 years ago, I decided to throw out "the rules" and live by a new rule: my home had to work for ME and I had to quit working so hard for my home. I quit being the traditional homemaker, slaving over maintenance and trying to make it look "right". And I began doing "weird" things to accommodate the weird needs of the people who live here. And my home has slowly evolved into a comfortable place with more beauty and orderliness than anyplace we ever lived.

Some months ago, I removed the TV from the living room. My oldest son has several visual problems and probably auditory processing problems. The living room has evolved into the quietest room in the house. And it has a wonderful feel to it. It functions almost as a "studio apartment" because he has his computer in the corner (we removed the TV because it backed up against his cubicle and there were volume wars and it was making him crazy) and he sleeps on the couch and all of his belongings are in the living room. It looks like a living room. You wouldn't likely guess that all of his clothes and bedding and so forth are also stowed out there.

His brother has fewer sensory issues but is more introverted. His brother's room has a TV and all their video game systems, etc. It ends up being where the kids gather when friends come over. His brother likes to be locked away in the privacy of his bedroom but can take more noise and other stimuli that my oldest quickly finds overwhelming.

I am the only extrovert in the family. My office is the most heavily trafficked space in the apartment. I took over the dining room, with the front door opening into it and a corner of it acting as a foyer, this room is the only path to the kitchen, and it is open to the living room and hallway as well. Most of the time, I deal just fine with people coming in and out of here and I still can be productive.

My husband is extremely introverted. I moved the TV into our bedroom and his office is also back there, in the most remote and private corner or our apartment. He cannot function when people are constantly passing through. When his computer used to be out in the living room, he would obnoxiously run everyone out and also take over the TV. It is more family-friendly to run him out and give him his privacy and his TV where he won't bother us.

We have 4 computers -- one for each family member -- yet I do not allow computers and electronics to take over the decor. (I have fantasies that this summer I will finally, at long last, get more pics of my apartment and explanations up on my homeschooling website. )

Anyway, the article really resonated with me and with my reasoning on why and how to do things: to serve a human purpose, in a humane way.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Organic Foods
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 10:58 PM
  2. Wal-Mart goes organic
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Mar 2006, 9:21 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 31 Aug 2005, 10:37 AM