Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Converting SBLs into tax map parcel numbers

Registered
    Aug 2001

Converting SBLs into tax map parcel numbers

Oh Throbbing Brain®...

Does anyone know a way to convert 20 character SBLs into a tax map number?
    (16801300020090000000 --> 168.13-2-9) I once knew someone who could do it through MS Access, but I'm not too up on how she did it.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Ah the joys of concatenation (real word)...

You can do this in MS Access, but it takes a fairly good knowledge of queries. In addition to fields from tables, queries can include "expressions" which can be derived from the information in fields (using functions), and other characters mixed together. You can also use these functions to split an item into its component parts, and then use the "Make Table Query" function to create a new table. Then make a new query to put them back together into your new format.

For example, you could use the use "Left" function to get the leftmost 3 characters, then insert a ".", then skip a few spaces and get the next couple of characters, etc.

It takes some playing around to get the formats right, and the format has to be exactly the same for each item in the source file. I'd consult the Access guru at your office...

I hope that answer made some kind of sense to someone out there... You kind of have to wade right into Access - make a copy of your data and you can't hurt anything.

Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Oh Throbbing Brain®...

Does anyone know a way to convert 20 character SBLs into a tax map number?
    (16801300020090000000 --> 168.13-2-9) I once knew someone who could do it through MS Access, but I'm not too up on how she did it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    thanks...scary thing is that i am the closest thing to an access guru in my office...then its off to the IT people for help...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. It's All About The Numbers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 31 Jan 2012, 1:48 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Oct 2010, 11:23 AM
  3. Will voter numbers be up or down.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 07 Nov 2006, 11:38 PM