Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Drive-thru queues

Registered
    Sep 2001

Drive-thru queues

We have touched on this subject before - but only in passing. Donk posted some great pics of a ridiculous Tim's line-up in his old stomping grounds.

Does anyone have requirements for queues for drive-thru restaurants - especially the distance from a public street or the number of car lengths which must be provided.

Thanks!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by jmf
    We have touched on this subject before - but only in passing. Donk posted some great pics of a ridiculous Tim's line-up in his old stomping grounds.

Does anyone have requirements for queues for drive-thru restaurants - especially the distance from a public street or the number of car lengths which must be provided.

Thanks!
    Our Zoning has the following for drive-up stacking:

Minimum Stacking Space Requirements
    All uses which include a drive-up window or which are characterized by patrons remaining in their vehicles to receive service shall provide stacking spaces in order to alleviate traffic congestion. Stacking spaces shall be a minimum of ten (10) feet in width and eighteen (18) feet in length. All stacking areas must be separated from other circulation aisles and parking spaces. The use of a landscaped island with curbing is recommended to channelize traffic.
    a. For Restaurant Drive-Up Windows. A minimum of ten (10) stacking spaces shall be required for restaurants with drive-up window. The distance shall be measured from the drive-up window.
    b. For Car Washes. A minimum of three stacking spaces per car wash bay shall be required.
    c. For Financial Institution Drive-Up Windows. A minimum of eight stacking spaces shall be required for financial institutions having one drive-up window and four stacking spaces for each additional window.
    d. For Other Uses With Drive-Up Windows or Similar Characteristics. For other uses not specifically provided herein, the Zoning Administrator shall make a determination regarding the number of stacking spaces required.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The scariest thing is that those pictures are from a site that complies with the zoning by-law' s requirements. What I would do differently is make a minimum distance from teh end of a queueing space to the access point of the property, that way you would have a built in buffer.

On the bright side, in the new place I live in the line at Tim's is just as bad and also queues onto a public street.

I would also take a look at making the approval of a drive thru a conditonal use or put a special phrase for tim horton's in.

Here are the provisons from teh By-law.

4.2.14 Queuing spaces shall be provided for Drive-Thru Business (including drive-thru restaurant and automatic car wash), gasoline bar, automated bank tellers, automotive repair service, and drive-in business automotive, as follows:

a) drive-thru Business, including Drive-Thru Restaurant;
    i) In-Bound- eight (8) in-bound queuing spaces shall be provided for vehicles
    approaching the drive-up service window or service bay;
    ii) Out-Bound-one (1) outbound queuing space shall be provided on the exit
    side of each service position and this space shall be located so as not to
    interfere with service to the next vehicle.

b) drive-in Business, Automotive, Gas Bar, Car Wash and Automotive Service Station;
    i) In-Bound-three (3) in-bound spaces shall be provided;
    ii) Out-Bound-three (3) out-bound spaces shall be provided.

4.2.15 All queuing spaces shall conform to the following standards:
    a) be a minimum of 6.0 metres long and 3.0 metres wide;
    b) queuing lanes shall provide sufficient space for turning and maneuvering and shall
    not occupy any portion of a designated fire lane; and
    c) be located on the lot associated with the use.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Slightly left of the topic... Speaking purely from a consumer point of view, I really hate it when there is an island that traps customers in the drive through lane. I'm not the type to drive off randomly but there have been several times when I sat in a line for over twenty minutes and felt justifed in driving off. Islands prevent that so despite other good they might do, I still wish they didn't exist.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Mar 2004

Channel Drives

I agree, Channel drives should not be allowed for restaurants. I've been stuck many times in a line that didn't move for 20+ minutes without a way to drive off

Not Code

New here and a late response:
    This is not a code, but I use to work for a firm that specialized in credit unions (5th in the nation for that genre I believe), the firms belief from years of experience broke the drive up branches into several size catagories, and it usual ranged from 3 to 4 lanes of 5 spaces each. This is what was believed to be necessary for alleviating backups into the streets and long waits in line. However, they were only fully attended by tellers during peak hours. FWIW

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A drive-thru for this ? ? ? ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 May 2009, 10:05 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 8:04 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 1:44 PM
  4. So how much do you drive your car?
    Friday Afternoon Club