Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Look up in the sky...it's a bird...it's a plane....it's SUPERBOY

Registered
    Dec 1998

Look up in the sky...it's a bird...it's a plane....it's SUPERBOY

Genetic mutation turns tot into Superboy

DNA testing showed why: The boy has a genetic mutation that boosts muscle growth.

Many scientists believe the find could eventually lead to drugs for treating people with muscular dystrophy and other muscle-destroying conditions. And athletes would almost surely want to get their hands on such a drug and use it like steroids to bulk up.

The boy’s mutant DNA segment was found to block production of a protein called myostatin that limits muscle growth. The news comes seven years after researchers at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore created buff “mighty mice” by “turning off” the gene that directs cells to produce myostatin.
    Somehow it just doesn't sound as if they found this baby by accident. It sounds more like a human experiment to me.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quite scary, wonder if the kid can have a normal childhood and if his parents will try to have more kids like him.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I wonder what the effects upon his body will be as he grows. Will his muscles deteriorate at a faster rate than for most people who develop at a normal rate of growth? I wonder.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Hmm, I think I have a little too much myostatin.

(Not an actual picture)

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Big Easy King
    I wonder what the effects upon his body will be as he grows. Will his muscles deteriorate at a faster rate than for most people who develop at a normal rate of growth? I wonder.
    They did say that he will likely develop problems with his heart and other organs.

Sounds more like X-Men to me.... :-P

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Hmmm I wonder if they will make a powder to limit the amount myostatin to put in a shake? I wonder if I could buy this stuff by the case?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    What you saw in the sky wasn't superboy. It was a friend's 60 inch rocket that made it to 1200 feet, but failed to deploy the chutes and came crashing to earth.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...intersting that this came out of germany, don't you think? Perhaps some of Adolf's secret genetic programs are still at work...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My first thought - Raelian

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    ...intersting that this came out of germany, don't you think? Perhaps some of Adolf's secret genetic programs are still at work...
    Actually, I was thinking of an earlier thread on this forum about how a former female Olympic Athlete got a sex change operation due to the amount of steroids she was given as a kid. :-0

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bird concerns
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 Dec 2012, 8:10 PM
  2. Shadow plane zoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 10:38 AM
  3. Snakes on a Plane
    Friday Afternoon Club