Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suburbia is the death of . . . . super-heroes????

Registered
    Aug 1997

Suburbia is the death of . . . . super-heroes????

Ok, so the new Spider-man movie is almost out and I've got superheroes on the brain. So, let's get some of that out with a discussion relevant to our jobs.

I'm pretty familiar with most superheroes and most all of them live, work, and fight crime in an urban setting. Spider-man and the Fantastic Four live in New York City. Superman moves from Smallville to Metropolis to fight crime, and Batman is the protector of Gotham City. It's rare to find a superhero not based in a major urban setting, except for those that patrol the space between the stars. I mean, how would Spider-man get to the other side of town if he didn't have all those skyscrapers to swing on? Would Batman be interesting if Gotham wern't home to a seedy underworld, full of abandoned warehouses and corrupt industries?

It's hard to imagine a superhero at home in the suburbs. Would he/she get around in a flying SUV? Would they fight big box developments or deforestation?

Anyways, I'm asking for your thoughts. Is suburbia too boring for our heroes to live in? What does it say that our prefered built environment doesn't inspire us? That our favorite characters like superheroes, hobbits (LOTR), and wizards (HP) all live somewhere else?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Interesting topic. I think that superheroes are set in urban areas because of the diversity of people. It's more interesting and more believeable to their altruistic natures to know that they are fighting for justice for all, rather than just a select few in a suburban setting that is generally considered more homogenous.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    suburbia zoned out "evil lairs" in the 50s.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    He would be cul-de-sac man. He would be a middle class, slightly overweight Wal-Mart “Associate” who has a 401K, 2 kids with his ex wife, and drives around in a late 90’s ford escape. He would fight things like evil commie planners who want to put side walks in, on street parking, and the worst of all, 0 front and side setback requirements. WHHHOOOOO I get chills just thinking about it. He would only be a super hero part of the time because he is not as young as he once was, and does not have the time or energy because he does have a 45-minute commute from his job.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Interesting topic.

But the X-Men live on an estate in Westchester, so I suppose that would make them suburbanites. :-P

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Boiker came close to getting this right. Why did Superman move to the big city to fight crime? That is where the crime is. There is no crime in the countryside, small towns, or suburbs. Crime is only found in big cities with industry, skyscrapers, and worst of all - alleys!
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    The city for the Super Hero is not going anywhere.

The suburbs are mostly "Breeder Farms" where you spend 20 of the best years of your life raising kids that either want to escape home for the city or learn to fear the larger urban environments.

The change can be made, just need an enterprising young cartoonist to make it happen.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    He would be cul-de-sac man. He would be a middle class, slightly overweight Wal-Mart “Associate” who has a 401K, 2 kids with his ex wife, and drives around in a late 90’s ford escape.
    So this superhero would actually drive an SUV (and one that didn't exist in the 90's)?? GASP!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Derf rocks, when he is not being disgusting :-}

Registered
    Jul 2003
    It would be interesting if a superhero plot could be just as exciting or more in a suburban setting rather than in the typical urban setting.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Jan 2004

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Judge Dread supports CPTED.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    So this superhero would actually drive an SUV (and one that didn't exist in the 90's)?? GASP!
    He "know's" someone at Ford, GM, and Dodge so he can get vehicles years before anyone else.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Interesting topic.

But the X-Men live on an estate in Westchester, so I suppose that would make them suburbanites. :-P
    Salem Center... very posh suburbs... but with a rural flair. Near the Titicus Reservoir...

Actually... big publisher for comics (and magazines) here in Westchester...one of the Archie cartoonist immortalized our taekwondo instructor in one of the cartoons.

We all know that the idyllic suburbs do not need a super hero.... what evil would they fight?
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I think that
    a) how would you hide your secret identity in suburbia? you have more anonymity in an urban setting.
    b) suburbia is not a true community. It is a place where "your home is your castle" is glorified and large yards and low densities are designed to minimize how much you have to deal with other humans. Cities inspire superheroes in part because they can be communities. And communities need protectors of the greater good. Suburbia does not promote the greater good. It promotes the good of individuals, apart from or even at the expense of a greater whole.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    MZ.... I disagree... suburbs can be a vital community.... isn't that our job as planners?? I do believe the definition of a suburb includes a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a large city.

The suburbs of my county are vital smaller communities...they just call them the burbs compared to the larger city a few miles away to the south. It seems you speak of housing tracks?? I think you describe bad sprawling suburbs.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Slightly OT:

I had a land use law professor who created the following scenario on a final exam for us to evaluate:

[straining puny brain to remember details]
    Batman and Robin fall on hard times in Gotham City. Wayne Manor - foreclosed on and auctioned off. Batcave: sold to mining interest.

Our superheroes relocate to more a more affordable location in the city; they decide to place a mobile home on a vacant lot the Commissioner had aquired.

Problem: the property is zoned SFR only. The City has not zoned any land for manufactured housing.

The assignement: Represent the Dynamic Duo in front of the Gotham City Zoning Board in their variance application.

'Twas a fun essay to write!

[/straining puny brain to remember details]

Bonus points and major props to anyone who can name the professor, and the graduate program!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    MZ.... I disagree... suburbs can be a vital community.... isn't that our job as planners?? I do believe the definition of a suburb includes a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a large city.

The suburbs of my county are vital smaller communities...they just call them the burbs compared to the larger city a few miles away to the south. It seems you speak of housing tracks?? I think you describe bad sprawling suburbs.
    I think generic "suburbia" and specific suburbs are different things. And if you do have a real community at the suburban level, what kinds of problems would you have that would NEED the attentions of a superhero? (Serious question. Feel free to propose such. But I don't really want to get into a serious debate of definitions of "suburbia".)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I And if you do have a real community at the suburban level, what kinds of problems would you have that would NEED the attentions of a superhero?
    I'd like to see a superhero take on the new people around the corner, they of the late-nite parties and yardful of commercial equipment; so far, code enforcement hasn't had any effect. Other suburban nemeses (or is that "nemisises?): the kids who vandalize mailboxes, uninvited solicitors, guys who fire up the yard/woodworking equipment at 7 a.m. on Sunday, owners of unfettered pooches the size of calves. Yes, there's much out there for superheroes in my suburb.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Speaking of SUV-driving superheros...

Here's the Batmobile that being used for next summer's Batman Begins.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I'd like to see a superhero take on the new people around the corner, they of the late-nite parties and yardful of commercial equipment; so far, code enforcement hasn't had any effect. Other suburban nemeses (or is that "nemisises?): the kids who vandalize mailboxes, uninvited solicitors, guys who fire up the yard/woodworking equipment at 7 a.m. on Sunday, owners of unfettered pooches the size of calves. Yes, there's much out there for superheroes in my suburb.
    Perhaps it is time for you to invest in a cape and skin-tight outfit and become the holy crusader for your suburb. You might even be able to take up a collection and get some of the neighborhood men to pay for said skin-tight outfit -- for a good cause, of course.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hey... I just remembered... the Toxic Avenger is from Tromaville, NJ, which is supposed to be a small town that was riddled with crime. I guess crime does occur in small towns... well, at least in New Jersey!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Perhaps it is time for you to invest in a cape and skin-tight outfit and become the holy crusader for your suburb. You might even be able to take up a collection and get some of the neighborhood men to pay for said skin-tight outfit -- for a good cause, of course.
    You are giving me really evil ideas for Halloween. hehehehehe. Or the lae-fest, maybe....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    You are giving me really evil ideas for Halloween. hehehehehe. Or the lae-fest, maybe....
    I live to serve. [insert deep bow here]

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Do You Have Any Heroes?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 30 Aug 2011, 8:02 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 8:18 AM
  3. karaoke heroes
    Friday Afternoon Club