Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 71 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

It is called beer. Kings and peasants alike would share this beverage in common. It has been around for since the beginning of time, has provide courage to knights, warriors, leaders, and your average joe on prom night. It comes in more flavors than one could imagine and from every part of the world. After a sporting event men go out to consume it, and after kicking each others ass in a fight, they buy each other one. Many of us think of it as much, much more than just a beverage, and there are the few that go a step beyond. They make it. They are the brew-masters of the world. They are the ones you always make sure to invite to parties in hope that they to will bring there home creations. Master is one of these people, and because of a gift (Beer Making Kit) he is going to allow me to join. And with this I ask, do you make beer, and if so what recipes are you willing to share, tips and tricks, and anything that would help a young soon to be brewer.

I also thought we needed a thread to discuss such an important topic!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I'm going to override the mods, and undelete this post. Let's see how this does.
    Dan I can see this potentially spinning off in to a mini-web site - not unlike Melrose Place spinning off from 90210. You could become the Aaron Spelling of cyberspace.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Golly, beer is good stuff. Gosh, it is swell. Gee Willickers, it is the tastiest beverage out there.

In western Africa, beer forms the foundation for significant social interaction. Traditionally in agrarian communities in the region, the women of the village did a lion's share of the labor. The men would make their own homebrew and would while away the hours talking to the other men in the community. And would take pride in who could produce the most tolerable beer. Something terrible happened the day globalization hit the beer market in Africa. Heinnekin began selling beer in this region and the locals found the taste of the imported lager vastly superior to their homebrew. It became a status symbol to be able to drink Heinnekin. The trouble is, though, that a case of Heinnekin cost the equivalent of almost a week's wages. The men now buy Heinnekin but jealously hoard their beer and no longer invite anyone over to share their beer simply because they would quickly go broke doing so. Now, their homebrewing tradition is looked down upon and there seems to be a lot less social cohesion without the 'beer interaction' among the men.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    partial repost from the cheese thread.

Beer lovers should try this:

Swiss Cheese with salt and pepper sprinkled on top.

I thought this was odd at first also, but I had gotten hungry one day while in the beir tent at a fest in Sulzbach-Rosenberg, Germany. I started telling my German friends I was hungry. They come back with a plate of Swiss Cheese covered in salt and peper. Heaven, have been enoying it as a snack ever since.

The salt and cheese do not detract from the flavor of the beer, and the salt will help keep you thirsty for more beer!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Although we may hold forth on such gems s Three Floyds Gumballhead and Stone Ruinator IPA, a lot can be said about cheap American beer.

The Cheap Beer Server, believe it or not. Cheers.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2002

strohs

They don't mention Strohs (Actually shorts spelled backwards.), my favorite cheap beer.
    WALSTIB

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Master is one of these people
    Was that a freudian slip, or is there more to your relationship with Maister than we know?

Registered
    Feb 2000

Free Beer !!!!

Happy hour is on me. I'm buying at the club on Friday @ 5:00 p.m. Come with uncle and drink all proper. You are invited

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    They don't mention Strohs (Actually shorts spelled backwards.), my favorite cheap beer.
    Schlitz isn't bad either.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

My favorite cheap beers are Huber and Rhinelander. When I was in college I worked at a park during the summers. You could score up a case of Rhinelander returnable bottles for around 5 bucks plus deposit. As long as you kept very very cold (on ice, not in a fridge) it tasted ok.

We have this bar in Milwaukee that has a huge selection of cheap-o beers. They even have a bucket of cheap beers for like 5 bucks...only thing is that they pick the cheap beers, not you.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Happy hour is on me. I'm buying at the club on Friday @ 5:00 p.m. Come with uncle and drink all proper. You are invited
    Are you keeping the location of this clube a secret from us?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I'm going to override the mods, and undelete this post. Let's see how this does.
    Your my hero!

Quote Originally posted by Tranpalnner
    Was that a freudian slip, or is there more to your relationship with Maister than we know?
    Just a typing mistake...

A co-worker went to NJ for the 4th returned with a case of Yuengling Lager for me! Does anyone know of any places in the mid west where I can get this beer?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A co-worker went to NJ for the 4th returned with a case of Yuengling Lager for me! Does anyone know of any places in the mid west where I can get this beer?
    Having it shipped in or taking a road trip to PA is the only way you can currently obtain any of this finest of Pennsylvania macro-brews. According to Yuengling.com the only places you can currently buy the stuff is Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey,New York, Virginia, D.C., North Carolina, Florida, and Alabama.

I have a friend from back home who loves the stuff so much that she had six cases of it shipped in from Virginia for her wedding a couple of years ago.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Maybe this would be a good time to mention the "Reinheitsgebot", or German purity law. Many of you may have heard about it through Sam Adams' advertising. It was the first known food/health regulation. Passed in 1490 in Bavaria. It held that beer must only be made from 3 ingredients: barley, water, and hops. It is largely because of this law that y'all enjoy beer in the form(s) it comes in today (yes, as hard as it is to believe even Milwaukees Best Light can trace its ancestry through this law!). Prior to this law German brewers would/could put stuff like fish bladders in their beer. Think about that the next time you tilt a cold one....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Maybe this would be a good time to mention the "Reinheitsgebot", or German purity law.
    It might have prevented beer with fish bladders, but think of what German beer would be like without the Reinheitsgebot. The Belgians never had a purity law, and look at their brewing tradition. I don;'t need to echo the thousands of others online who have sun the praises of Belgian beers. If the Belgians can do what they did, think of what zee Germans could accomplish.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2003

Thread of Thirst...

Great topic and one that's close to my heart.

Just an FYI - Rockies Brewing in Boulder has a new brew - "Mojo" a highly hopped IPA - pure heaven! They've had it out for a while in "bombers" and it was on tap at Old Chicago.

And on "cheap beer" - I did my share in my younger years - Hamm's, Schlitz, Keystone, etc. But I can't anymore - it equates to an "instant headache" so I'll keep on tapping my 401K to buy the better stuff :-}

Registered
    Jul 2003
    ....I don;'t need to echo the thousands of others online who have sun the praises of Belgian beers. If the Belgians can do what they did, think of what zee Germans could accomplish.

MMMMMMMMM LAMBICS! :-P

The Germans DID do amazing things, they took the CRAPIEST grain for making beer in ALL of europe, without using thermometers, and created a process to chemichly alter the crappy grain (when chemistry hadn't been invented) into something fit for the gods to drink!

Thats impressive in its own right if you ask me!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Are you keeping the location of this clube a secret from us?
    I know where it is.....

Beer good!!!!!!!!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Instead of the German purity law, nowadays I believe the world brewers should approve a 'Not like sex in a canoe' law Water is not beer, ok? Got it Budweiser?
    If you want to cool down on a summer day you can drink a bud, but it's just not beer! Now a Bud Light... I guess that's water, artificial beer colorants and flavor and CO2

I don't have anything against Budweiser, I just use it like an example of all the numerous brands that produce "beer" (Including a few chilean ones) At least here in Valdivia the Kunstmann brewery produces REAL beer And at least 4 types.. The classical Lager, Pale ale, Bock and the unfiltered pale ale. (The last two are my favourites )
    Now who wants a Valdivian Alefest? (Or should I say Bierfest?)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    MMMMMMMMM LAMBICS! :-P

The Germans DID do amazing things, they took the CRAPIEST grain for making beer in ALL of europe, without using thermometers, and created a process to chemichly alter the crappy grain (when chemistry hadn't been invented) into something fit for the gods to drink!

Thats impressive in its own right if you ask me!
    also, technically, the Reinheitsgebot would prohibit weiss (wheat) beers. Belgians make awesome Trappist Ales, and all sorts of other fruity concoctions - the world would be a poorer place without them. Like it or not, Germans seem to be the ones who have set the world's standards in beer, though :-}

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    also, technically, the Reinheitsgebot would prohibit weiss (wheat) beers. Belgians make awesome Trappist Ales, and all sorts of other fruity concoctions - the world would be a poorer place without them. Like it or not, Germans seem to be the ones who have set the world's standards in beer, though :-}
    I believe there was an exception in it for Wiess beers. That or they considered wheat as a baley for the purpose of making beer. I will try to track that down exactly what it was, but wheat was allowed for Bavaria at least. Especially since the King liked it and forced all the Wiess beers to be produced in "royal" beer brewing facilities.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    This thread is making me thirsty :-P

They starting to bottle the hometown brew, Flying Bison, here and distribute it to local convienence stores. Plant gives tours.

Going to have to take a trip down to Matts Brewery in Utica.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Hamm's is my favorite "rafting beer". The criteria for a good "rafting beer" is: 1) it must come in cans (broken bottles could puncture the raft or a person), 2) it must be inexpensive, 3) it must not be heavy, and 4) it must taste good very cold.

Pabst is another good rafting beer. Busch is another.

Whatever happend to Schiltz? When I was a underage drinker back in the 70s, Schitlz was everywhere and I drank a lot of it. Haven't seen it in probably 15 years. Is it still around? Only available regionally?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I am a fan of Bells. You know it is summer when you have a cold Oberon in a nice glass. (being that it is not filtered, it is best in a glass). And PlannerbyDay introduced me to Bells Java Brew. Beer with Coffee Beans added in the process. It will wake a person up while sitting in the garden behind the old brewery in Kalamazoo.

For those not from the mid west, what are your thoughts on Bells? *Yet another reason to hold a mid west leafest in Kalamazoo!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    .....For those not from the mid west, what are your thoughts on Bells? *Yet another reason to hold a mid west leafest in Kalamazoo!

Make sure you are at Bell's during the holiday Bell's Eccentric Brew Day! NOW THAT is a pilgramige worth attending! Lots of wierd people and great BREW! They open the Brewery up out back later on in the night!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 71 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club