Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teh 2015 Vacation and Travel Thread

Registered
    Aug 2001

Teh 2015 Vacation and Travel Thread

ZG and I have plans to travel to Spokane WA. We arrive on April 24 and depart April 30. I'm guessing no one wants to meet in Spokane for a laefest.

What are your travel plans this year?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm actually thinking of heading down to RJ & ZG land in late March. I've never been to the Florida panhandle, I really need a vacation, and I'd like this one to be a beach vacation. I also considered the St Pete/Clearwater/Sarasota area, the Fort Myers area, and the Fort Lauderdale area (particularly as all have more reliably clearer and warmer weather in March), but all seem too expensive and congested. I've also been to the Fort Myers and St. Pete/Sarasota areas before. I've decided to base my trip around seeing a Florida Georgia Line concert in Orange Beach, AL on March 21st, and then I'm thinking of staying in Pensacola Beach for about 5 nights after. I'm particularly eyeing the Holiday Inn Resort there. Please speak now with any recommendations. I've heard Panama City Beach is too crazy. Orange Beach seems kinda lacking in amenities and when I looked at hotel rates for the few decent hotels, they were actually more expensive than in Pensacola Beach which kinda shocked me. Pensacola Beach seemed slightly more affordable, but yet still very nice, with lots of restaurants and other things to do in the area. But, please, locals, feel free to steer me in the right direction. I'm very open with my travel plans at the moment, but will probably book things in a couple weeks.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Nothing is set in stone yet, but we're feeling a bit ambitious this year - our 20th wedding anniversary is in August, so we're looking at possibly spending a couple of weeks in Europe in September (August just won't work schedule-wise, but September will be a bit cooler, and we can work it around Labor Day to save us each a vacation day). The initial idea is a few days somewhere in Italy (Milan is probably the front-runner for now), then some time in Malta (that's the closest thing to definite thus far), with the trip back to the ATL broken up with a couple of days somewhere else in western Europe so we don't have to deal with 23+ straight hours of travel (we're sorting through a few options for that piece of the trip). Thankfully Mrs. Bubba has eleventy billion Starwood points, which is a huge factor in making this possible.

This will probably all change about 15 times between now and September...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2006
    My plan to head back North in early summer. My brother has a new baby on the way. I will visit him in New Hampshire for a day or so and then head out to New York. I love upstate New York in the summer. I might even make it to the Adirondacks for a few days!

Alternate plan is late September/early October in Newcastle UK to visit a friends and maybe attend a Rugby World Cup match...

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We will be headed to SW Florida in March for 10-14 days but that's all we've got planned so far.

I was thinking about the Army Marathon in Killeen, TX in March but I am going to hold off until next year. I'm considering a trip to scenic Jacksonville, NC in September for a half marathon though and that one seems like it is a definite go. I still have a lot of friends in the area and a buddy and his wife will be coming up from Orlando to run it as well so odds are prtty good that I'll make the trip. My wife and I would like to go somewhere out West in the fall as well but we have no idea where. Southwest? Northwest? SoCal? Who knows...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    May-one way cruise from NJ to Barcelona stopping in the Azores, Cartagena and Palma de Mallorca. We will stay in Barcelona for a few days and then fly home.

June-The Man will take rt to the Dominican Republic for a few weeks as he helps his father tend to some work on the house and other family business. I will fly down 4th of July weekend to bring them back home.

1st weekend in August-RT and I will road trip to Montreal for a long weekend to hang out and attend the 2015 Osheaga Music & Arts Festival. We had a blast last year.

Trying to figure out one more trip in the last few months of the year.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am contemplating a trip to California in April, swinging across on the southern route and then making my way up the western slope of the Sierras before heading to the coast. This may also be the year I drive up the St. Lawrence into the Atlantic provinces.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    This may also be the year I drive up the St. Lawrence into the Atlantic provinces.
    Highly recommended by some folks I know who have done this.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    So far, a trip to DC/VA in April, and maybe a week or so in Mexico (location TBD) in December. Other trips as the mood strikes, likely to include Crater Lake NP.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    So far, a trip to DC/VA in April, and maybe a week or so in Mexico (location TBD) in December. Other trips as the mood strikes, likely to include Crater Lake NP.
    There must be something wrong with me. I have been to Crater Lake, and while it is interesting, have not found myself wanting to spend much time there. If you have not been, visit Newberry Volcanoes on the way there.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I'm actually thinking of heading down to RJ & ZG land in late March. I've never been to the Florida panhandle, I really need a vacation, and I'd like this one to be a beach vacation. I also considered the St Pete/Clearwater/Sarasota area, the Fort Myers area, and the Fort Lauderdale area (particularly as all have more reliably clearer and warmer weather in March), but all seem too expensive and congested. I've also been to the Fort Myers and St. Pete/Sarasota areas before. I've decided to base my trip around seeing a Florida Georgia Line concert in Orange Beach, AL on March 21st, and then I'm thinking of staying in Pensacola Beach for about 5 nights after. I'm particularly eyeing the Holiday Inn Resort there. Please speak now with any recommendations. I've heard Panama City Beach is too crazy. Orange Beach seems kinda lacking in amenities and when I looked at hotel rates for the few decent hotels, they were actually more expensive than in Pensacola Beach which kinda shocked me. Pensacola Beach seemed slightly more affordable, but yet still very nice, with lots of restaurants and other things to do in the area. But, please, locals, feel free to steer me in the right direction. I'm very open with my travel plans at the moment, but will probably book things in a couple weeks.
    Two words: Spring Break. We are the epicenter. If Pensacola Beach doesn't host it, you should be OK. We have stayed at the Margaritaville hotel on the beach and enjoyed it, and Pensacola has a great downtown, particularly during their artfests on one Friday a month.

You should know that March is generally too chilly here for normal people (other than spring breakers) and I won't even venture into the water until June. Many businesses and restaurants close "for the season". RJ and I were in Pensacola in Oct 2013 and most every restaurant on the beach was closed, and I bet they would be in March, too.

BTW, RJ did a zipline tour in a dune area near Orange Beach on that visit and loved it!

Unfortunately, winter is "high season" in most of FL so it can be really expensive to book south of here (and even then, the water will be cold).

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Two words: Spring Break. We are the epicenter. If Pensacola Beach doesn't host it, you should be OK. We have stayed at the Margaritaville hotel on the beach and enjoyed it, and Pensacola has a great downtown, particularly during their artfests on one Friday a month.

You should know that March is generally too chilly here for normal people (other than spring breakers) and I won't even venture into the water until June. Many businesses and restaurants close "for the season". RJ and I were in Pensacola in Oct 2013 and most every restaurant on the beach was closed, and I bet they would be in March, too.

BTW, RJ did a zipline tour in a dune area near Orange Beach on that visit and loved it!

Unfortunately, winter is "high season" in most of FL so it can be really expensive to book south of here (and even then, the water will be cold).
    Good to know, ZG. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into restaurants in the area and make sure they're still open. I would think they would open for the busy spring break season, but I guess it's a good idea to check. I guess with the weather, I kinda am rolling the dice. Hopefully I will luck out and it will at least be in the 70s and not rain.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We have a family obligation in Trenton, NJ in June that we will extend into a NYC visit as well. And we may or may not be spending time in kjel's area.

Then an extra long weekend trip to northeast lower Michigan (aka my hometown) for July 4th time with my family.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    There are a few states in the South East that my wife and I plan to visit sometime late spring/ early summer.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We are doing NYC around March, and Colorado in July.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Nothing planned yet, but my sister-in-law is currently applying to grad schools so hopefully they will end up on this coast and I can figure out a vacation accordingly (fingers crossed fingers crossed fingers crossed).

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We may head up to Acadia National Park in Maine at some point. That's all we've talked about so far.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    We have a family obligation in Trenton, NJ in June that we will extend into a NYC visit as well. And we may or may not be spending time in kjel's area.

Then an extra long weekend trip to northeast lower Michigan (aka my hometown) for July 4th time with my family.
    The good thing about my area is that other areas are pretty nearby. Let me know if you need any info.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Our annual winter trip to Naples, FL is officially booked. This year I convinced my wife that we should stay down there nearly 3 weeks since next year our daughter will be in kindergarten and we will probably be a bit reluctant to take that much time off again.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Being DINKs has its perks...

June: 10th Anniversary
    Planning 5 days in Boston or possibly 2-3 days in Boston and 2-3 days in Maine near Acadia National Park

August-September: Scandinavia & St. Petersburg, Russia
    • Cruise departing Harwich, England with stops in:
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Skagen, Denmark
    • Tallinn, Estonia
    • St. Petersburg, Russia
    • Helsinki, Finland
    • Stockholm, Sweden

We're also taking a jumper flight over to Guernsey Island after the cruise, which is where part of my wife's maternal line immigrated from.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Being DINKs has its perks...

June: 10th Anniversary
    Planning 5 days in Boston or possibly 2-3 days in Boston and 2-3 days in Maine near Acadia National Park

August-September: Scandinavia & St. Petersburg, Russia
    • Cruise departing Harwich, England with stops in:
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Skagen, Denmark
    • Tallinn, Estonia
    • St. Petersburg, Russia
    • Helsinki, Finland
    • Stockholm, Sweden

We're also taking a jumper flight over to Guernsey Island after the cruise, which is where part of my wife's maternal line immigrated from.
    What cruise line are you sailing on?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    What cruise line are you sailing on?
    Royal Caribbean. We've had good experiences with them before. We're going with the in-laws, who booked through the Costco travel agent (super customer service, BTW). That allowed us to drive down the flight cost as well since they had some kind of package thing working and we took care of our airport transfers, etc. in one smooth transaction.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Anybody familiar with the wineries in the Kennewick/Walla Walla WA environs? Suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Royal Caribbean. We've had good experiences with them before. We're going with the in-laws, who booked through the Costco travel agent (super customer service, BTW). That allowed us to drive down the flight cost as well since they had some kind of package thing working and we took care of our airport transfers, etc. in one smooth transaction.
    I've sailed on their sister line, Celebrity, and it was a great experience. We're booked on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas for a transatlantic cruise to Barcelona. Quantum's permanent port will be Shanghai (currently sailing between NJ and the Caribbean) and this will be the first leg of the 53 night relocation to China. Some people have booked the entire 53 day cruise

My good friend is a travel agent specializing in cruises, she makes everything easy for me.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Waiting on two different schedules -

When Mom sells her house and how much help she needs with the move.

When California family visits this summer down at The Jersey Shore.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3284
    Last post: 07 Jul 2015, 1:37 PM
  2. The 2015 garden thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 26 Jun 2015, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 50
    Last post: 25 Jun 2015, 7:28 PM